Opinion Why Drew Brees never won MVP (5 Viewers)

Why Drew Brees never won MVP is interesting. Food for thought:

* Archie Manning won Conference player of the year while playing for the 7-9 Saints in 1978.

* Chuck Noll (Steelers coach in the ‘70’s) never won Coach of the Year.

* Brees should have won MVP in both ‘09 and’11.

JMO

:gosaints:

I have said it many times... Close your eyes.... It is a nightmare but stay with me...

Drew Brees is a *gasp* Cowboy for the EXACT same career

Result

Minimum 2 MVP's (2009 and 2011)
No Bounty gate so the gut of the team is not destroyed during the height of the run
A constant drumbeat as the GOAT (which he CLEARLY is)

Drew's problem was he signed with a low market franchise that the commissioner and the media just did not care about

DB = Goat and it is not even close

2009 should've been his
2011 was Rodgers all the way
- 14-1 (sat week 17)
- 45 TDs 6 INTs (sat week 17)

No way Aaron wasn't getting it that year.
He sat in Week 17 only for his backup to go and set a record that even A Aron didn't have. I forget which, either TD's in a game or yards. I'll give him this, his first half of the year was better than Drew's, but Drew's 2nd half was better.

Definitely should have been the lock in '09, But we're a small-market and not a free agent destination, that always hurts us in national award voting...

Definitely should have been the lock in '09, But we're a small-market and not a free agent destination, that always hurts us in national award voting...
They gave it to Peyton because he didn't play a snap in the preseason for the 1st time in his career and he had more yards, but we were clearly the better team and Drew was clearly better that year.

Nope. Manning called his own plays most of that year and ran the Friday practices while the coaches were in meetings. I heard many of the gameday announcers that attended the practices say so. He was basicaly an old school QB from the 70's and 80's that were expected to do that. That is why Manning won the MVP!

The problem I have with it is the incessant flip-flopping on the criteria the voters use to decide who "wins" the MVP depending on who the current media darling is and who's in the running for any given year.

In 2011, Rodgers had a remarkable season and nobody can debate that. However, he trailed Brees in nearly every worthwhile passing category, only holding an edge on interceptions (6 to Brees' 14), QB rating (122.5 to Brees' 110.6) and the overall team record (14-1 to 13-3).
  • 1st in QB rating (122.5, NFL record) - Brees was 2nd
  • t-2nd in fewest interceptions thrown with (6) - Alex Smith was 1st with 5 and played all 16 games, Brees t-17th
  • 5th in passing yards (4,643) - Brees was 1st
  • 2nd in pass TD's (45) - Brees was 1st
  • 2nd in completion % (68.3) - Brees was 1st
  • 10th in completions (343) - Brees was 1st
Meanwhile in addition to Brees leading the league in the majority of the categories above that Rodgers finished 2nd or lower in (passing yards, passing TD's, and completion % which is also referred to as the QB Triple Crown), he also led the league in completions and not only broke, but shattered multiple longstanding NFL records.
  • 5,476 passing yards (NFL record) - 27 year old record previously deemed unbreakable
  • 342.3 passing ypg (NFL record) - 29 year old record held by Dan Fouts for the 1982 strike-shortened season
  • 71.2 completion % (NFL record) - another strike season record that he already tied in 2009 and finally broke
  • 7,474 offensive scrimmage yards (NFL record) - 11 year old record set by the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams
So 1 NFL record and a bunch of 2nd place finishes vs. 4 NFL records and stat leader in the majority of passing categories. And as another poster previously stated, the MVP went to the guy who's back-up would play in Week 17 that year in his absence and would only go on to only throw for 480 yards, 6 TD’s, and a 136.4 QB rating, setting 2 Packers franchise records for passing yards and passing TD's in that single game. That alone showed Rodgers didn’t deserve MVP.

Fast forward to 2018. Mahomes in his first season as a starter has an impeccable season while leading the league or finishing in the top-5 of multiple passing categories (1st in TD's, 5th in completions, 2nd in yards, 2nd in QB rating).

For Brees, although they aren't on par with his previous MVP caliber seasons (due to the offense shifting its identity), Brees still bested Mahomes in every category Rodgers bested him in previously that won him the MVP in 2011, and he also led the league in completion % while breaking his own NFL record from the previous year for a 3rd time.
  • Mahomes threw 12 interceptions to Brees' 5, only behind Rodgers' 2
  • Mahomes was 2nd in QB rating, Brees was 1st (NFL record)
  • Mahomes was 12-4 as a starter, Brees was 13-2 also 1st
That's without having to mention Mahomes went 3-4 against teams with a winning record that year while Brees went 5-1. Mahomes posted 2 4th quarter comebacks and 2 game winning drives while Brees had 6 4th quarter comebacks and 7 game winning drives.

So the criteria the league voted on literally flip flopped. If Rodgers deserved the MVP in 2011 then Brees deserved it in 2018. If Brees didn't deserve it in 2011 then Mahomes didn't deserve it in 2018. Full stop.

Brees should have 2 MVP's (arguably even 3) to his name at minimum.

He sat in Week 17 only for his backup to go and set a record that even A Aron didn't have. I forget which, either TD's in a game or yards. I'll give him this, his first half of the year was better than Drew's, but Drew's 2nd half was better.
It was TDs in a game. That ended up getting him a contract with the Seahawks, where they then give the starting job to Russ..lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom