Opinion Why Drew Brees never won MVP (3 Viewers)

It is 100% a slap in the face to the game of football. Much less Drew Brees , the Saints and all our fans that Matt Ryan and Scam Newton win MVPs . Its almost like it was out of spite that they were given those awards . Neither are worthy of the Hall of fame and neither won anything of significance. Newton was a joke and Ryan is a choke artist. The fact that they both won MVPs and Drew never did is a disservice to football fans everywhere. They never wanted Drew to win it . They would look for any reason to NOT give it to Drew . 2009 and 2018 should have been locks . 2018 hurts because if we beat Dallas on Monday night late in that season I think Drew wins it hands down . The media was all about it until we lost that game , most of them still had Drew as the guy .
If it’s any consolation, Ryan’s MVP season will be forgotten as 28-3 looms larger over the Falcons as each season passses while Cam will be remembered as a good but not great QB without a championship.

I think the reason he didn't win it is rather silly......DB never "looked the part", he wasn't a 6'4" strong arm QB with a cannon for an arm......

To me, there is no other explanation.....
Green Bay finished 15-1 in 2011. We were 13-3. Indy finished 14-2 in 2009 and we finished 13-3 again. I don't
believe it's right,but the voters do take the teams overall record into account. Imo, if we had won just one game
during the final 3 weeks of the 09 season,Brees would have been MVP.

Hilarious looking at Ryan's "MVP season" in 2016...
  • 9th in completions (behind Brees, Flacco, Cousins, Rodgers, Bradford, Stafford, Wentz, and Manning)
  • 3rd in completion % (behind Bradford and Brees)
  • 2nd in passing yards (behind Brees)
  • 2nd in passing TD's (behind Rodgers)
  • 1st in QB rating
  • 1st in yard/attempt
  • t-7th in fewest INT's for QB's that started at least 10 games (of 29 QB's and was tied for the most of any other MVP votees with Rodgers)
  • 3rd in QB record at 11-5 (Prescott went 13-3 and Carr went 12-3)
  • 1 4th quarter comeback, 2 game winning drives, 4-3 record vs. teams with a winning record
Ryan should never have won MVP for the sole fact that they went 11-5 that year. They weren't even the #1 seed in the NFC and were BARELY even the #2 seed because it took the Seahawks (who the Falcons lost to the week before) tying with the Cardinals in a 6-6 barn burner. Then the Cowboys choke in the playoffs (as usual) for them to land *** first into home field advantage before they tore down the Georgia Dump and their playoff run had an equally catastrophic collapse as well.

Ryan had a good year, but if Brees' 2009 or 2011 seasons weren't MVP seasons then THAT damn sure ain't either.

Last edited:
(dnrta)
Because the MVP voters are a bunch of followers who only care about "big name" players from big markets or deep-legacy teams like Green Bay?

(dnrta)
Because the MVP voters are a bunch of followers who only care about "big name" players from big markets or deep-legacy teams like Green Bay?
Peyton played in small market Indianapolis.

(dnrta)

Peyton played in small market Indianapolis.

PM was 6’5” with a big arm, AR and MR were also in that class….IMO the evidence is pretty clear that at least back then it wasn’t enough to just be better, you also had to “look the part” as a QB…..I remember those morons like Irvin and KJ talking about Brees size like it was a some insurmountable negative thing….just total BS….

Just to clarify there are several different MVP awards. The one given the most credence for some reason is the AP award...as opposed to the PFWA MVP and the Bert Bell award (which Brees did win in 2009)

Here is a list (I believe) of other 1st Ballot HoF QBs who didnt win the award...
  • Aikman
  • Jim Kelly
  • Staubach
  • Blanda
  • Bobby Layne
  • Fouts (won the PFWA)
  • Warren Moon (won the Jim Thorpe)
and RBs....
  • Tony Dorsett
  • Gale Sayers
  • Ollie Matson
  • Hugh McElhenny
  • Eric Dickerson (Sporting News)
Joe Perry won the UPI award in 1954 before the AP award was given out

It is 100% a slap in the face to the game of football. Much less Drew Brees , the Saints and all our fans that Matt Ryan and Scam Newton win MVPs . Its almost like it was out of spite that they were given those awards . Neither are worthy of the Hall of fame and neither won anything of significance. Newton was a joke and Ryan is a choke artist. The fact that they both won MVPs and Drew never did is a disservice to football fans everywhere. They never wanted Drew to win it . They would look for any reason to NOT give it to Drew . 2009 and 2018 should have been locks . 2018 hurts because if we beat Dallas on Monday night late in that season I think Drew wins it hands down . The media was all about it until we lost that game , most of them still had Drew as the guy .
Well said. I'm pleasantly surprised Brady didn't win it in 2021. That would've made us the only NFC South franchise without an MVP.

For the record, I do think Cam deserved it in 2015. Ryan, on the other hand, only won the award because Brady got suspended and Carr got hurt.

Hilarious looking at Ryan's "MVP season" in 2016...
  • 9th in completions (behind Brees, Flacco, Cousins, Rodgers, Bradford, Stafford, Wentz, and Manning)
  • 3rd in completion % (behind Bradford and Brees)
  • 2nd in passing yards (behind Brees)
  • 2nd in passing TD's (behind Rodgers)
  • 1st in QB rating
  • 1st in yard/attempt
  • t-7th in fewest INT's for QB's that started at least 10 games (of 29 QB's and was tied for the most of any other MVP votees with Rodgers)
  • 3rd in QB record at 11-5 (Prescott went 13-3 and Carr went 12-3)
  • 1 4th quarter comeback, 2 game winning drives, 4-3 record vs. teams with a winning record
Ryan should never have won MVP for the sole fact that they went 11-5 that year. They weren't even the #1 seed in the NFC and were BARELY even the #2 seed because it took the Seahawks (who the Falcons lost to the week before) tying with the Cardinals in a 6-6 barn burner. Then the Cowboys choke in the playoffs (as usual) for them to land *** first into home field advantage before they tore down the Georgia Dump and their playoff run had an equally catastrophic collapse as well.

Ryan had a good year, but if Brees' 2009 or 2011 seasons weren't MVP seasons then THAT damn sure ain't either.
He was also

*1st in TD rate
*1st in CPOE
*1st in Adj. EPA/Play
*1st in DVOA
*1st in QB Success Rate
*1st in ESPN QBR

Screw the Falcons but we all know that the MVP is a QB award and Matt Ryan was hands down the best QB (statically) in 2016 and a part of that was due to Brady missing those games for Deflategate..lol. There is no way Ryan wins MVP the way Brady came out the game after that suspension. 2009 can be debated but there is no doubt in my mind that 2011 was Drew's MVP season. The fact that Matt Flynn went out and broke 2 single game records in the same game should have gave voters a pause...

At the very least he should've been at least a co-mvp 2 of those years.

Funny seeing this as I've been calling Luka the "Brees of the NBA." ...jmo
Brees has a championship.
Luka’s comp is probably Drew Bledsoe.
Never won a championship (when he was a full time starter) but made a Super Bowl with no MVPs.

PM was 6’5” with a big arm, AR and MR were also in that class….IMO the evidence is pretty clear that at least back then it wasn’t enough to just be better, you also had to “look the part” as a QB…..I remember those morons like Irvin and KJ talking about Brees size like it was a some insurmountable negative thing….just total BS….
I think Peyton Manning had another thing going for him too, he's part of a NFL family legacy and was widely considered the best of that family at the time (still is so far) which played into marketability also. Some might argue Archie never had a fair shake because he was always on bad teams but clearly statistics wise Peyton is the best of the 3, Eli had some very clutch playoff moments that one can call "elite runs" but he was never comfortably the best QB in the league in any one season of his. We'll what Arch does if he makes it that far.

All of this played into Drew not getting one when it was between the two of them.

I think Peyton Manning had another thing going for him too, he's part of a NFL family legacy and was widely considered the best of that family at the time (still is so far) which played into marketability also. Some might argue Archie never had a fair shake because he was always on bad teams but clearly statistics wise Peyton is the best of the 3, Eli had some very clutch playoff moments that one can call "elite runs" but he was never comfortably the best QB in the league in any one season of his. We'll what Arch does if he makes it that far.

All of this played into Drew not getting one when it was between the two of them.

Good point.....but if PM was barely 6' we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.....Archie played so long ago it was a different game, 1-1 INT/TD ratios were more the norm back then.....the few years he had a good supporting cast around him he was great, no doubt to me proof he would have been a 1st ballot HOF had he played on a better team....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom