Why the low draft grades? (1 Viewer)

C is too high, the assumptions that these guys esp T and DB will just waltz merrily into dominating the League is preposterous. Loomis abandoned his hope to get cap control thru the draft. Dumbarse replaced by chit for brains. We shucking in cap and draft control.

I wonder if the Clapp signing will offset Dalton. Not real sure when the comp season of FA ends.
south-park-margarita-ville.gif

Apparently not

I like the players, not the resources given away.

And frankly, I think we could compete and not giving away as many future resources.

There are many decisions to be made in the near future, and we are limiting our choices by giving so many resources away.

Certainly, I am more conservative than Mickey.
The cap just went up a lot and it’s about to go up a lot more.

It made a lot more sense for us to give up a couple mid-round picks and pay a potential co-number 1 WR a rookie contract (instead of an $80-million deal like Hollywood Brown is about to get and Christian Kirk already got) rather than try to get a couple decent players in the mid-rounds who may or may not take the place of aging vets.

Mickey, you really need to take into account fans' feelings when you trade away picks or pick players counter to their expectations. Maybe give out your cell number so the jeeenniussses here can call you when the Saints are on the clock, or, before you flunk dem picks.

Seeing pretty much grades of “C” across the board on all the sites.

Main criticism is we gave up too much- but haven’t seen any real criticism of the actual picks.

Considering we got 3 key pieces - it feels like a huge success.

1) We now have 2 WRs with vertical speed to stretch the field (Olave, Harris) and will free up Thomas in the slant game. Winston will have a much easier time with this.

2) 2 mean mauling tackles with Ram and Pennington, protecting Winston

3) A solid S replacement after losing Marcus Williams.

Love the picks so far. I clearly remember prior drafts where we cut half our picks or more anyways…so I say 3 potential starters is a win
It doesn't fit their pre-determined ideas of what the Saints are as a team or who they feel the Saints should draft. These are the same people who can't get a job with NFL teams doing the same thing. If the Saints don't value their opinions enough to hire them, I wouldn't concern myself with their criticism.

I certainly understand the criticism in regards to what the Saints gave up to acquire Olave and Penning. In a perfect world, I'd agree with them. However, all that matters is acquiring the player you feel fits your needs the best. Everything else is BS. If Olave and Penning turn into Pro Bowlers, no one will care what was given up.

Getting three potential starters, is so much better than drafting numbers, rarely is there a diamond beyond the third round.....Saints have done their due diligence and that is what we expect as fans!
Yeah, people love to pull out the 2-3 gems that pop up from rounds 4 and beyond in each draft while conveniently neglecting to point out the 140-150 non-gems.

Hit % goes down with each round. Of course you can hit later on (and we have). But if you trust your evaluation, you’re better off taking your swings early.

Why the low draft grades? A better question, IMO, is why does anyone even CARE what the grade is, especially when it's still happening? Wait 3-4 years and then grade it. THAT is the grade that matters.

Why we always looking for "likes" or a pat on the back? Hoist the Lombardi....THEN ask 'em..."how ya like me now?"

All I’ve read is we lost both trades, gave up too much. Obviously too early to tell, but I tend to think we gave up too much as well. Especially in the trade with the Eagles.

My WFT loving family hated the trade with us the other day, so who really knows. Lol

I didn’t hate this one as much. (WFT)

At the end of the day I’m excited with our two first round picks, both have tons of potential imo and also sorely needed positions.

Seeing pretty much grades of “C” across the board on all the sites.

Main criticism is we gave up too much- but haven’t seen any real criticism of the actual picks.

Considering we got 3 key pieces - it feels like a huge success.

1) We now have 2 WRs with vertical speed to stretch the field (Olave, Harris) and will free up Thomas in the slant game. Winston will have a much easier time with this.

2) 2 mean mauling tackles with Ram and Pennington, protecting Winston

3) A solid S replacement after losing Marcus Williams.

Love the picks so far. I clearly remember prior drafts where we cut half our picks or more anyways…so I say 3 potential starters is a win
Unless it’s smoke (and it very well could be) Allen says Taylor will be a CB, not safety. As others have pointed out that’s how Jenkins started out too, so we shall see.

I think we got fleeced on the Eagles trade, don’t feel as bad about the WFT trade.

As of now, I can’t give the team a mark higher than a C.

We had two goals for the upcoming draft:

To find the players to keep or make us more competitive.

To use rookie salaries in order to clean the cap.

Clearly we got two, maybe three players so far that fit the goals.

But at the same time, we committed way too many resources obtaining these players. For this and the next two drafts.

Second and third round picks may not be building blocks, but core players that can give us 3-4 years on cheap salaries. We have given those away.

We are already cap strained, and giving away those present and future picks restrain us to move around and be able to make decisions building a younger roster.

We achieved quality, but forgot about much needed quantity.

It’s too early to grade the off-season, but even now I can say that giving away resources will keep the grade down for me.
💯 agree with your post.
I think the team has an idea of what Payton is going to do, and that they’ll get a couple of those picks back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom