Will winston be back next year? (2 Viewers)

If we could get Wilson at a good value, that doesn’t mortgage the future and complicate a shortened window for him to be successful here, it’s a no-brainer. Sure.

But that seems seriously unlikely.

It’s only wild speculation that he’ll even be available, but if Seattle does decide to trade him, it’s almost certainly going to be at a very high price, maybe more so if it’s an in-conference team.

Winston on a cheaper deal and without relinquishing other assets is, in comparison, at least an attractive option. Or trading to move in the draft, if the team feels like it needs to make a bolder play for a QB.

For a QB who will turn 34 next season, well, I’d just have to hope Loomis could somehow work some magic and steal him away. But I already don’t take the scenario very seriously, anyway.
Yours is the much more realistic take than the OP. Folks thinking it is even somewhat realistic that the Saints are going to be able to trade for Wilson are being delusional. Seattle is not going to trade him to the Saints, another NFC playoff caliber team, or mostly like not any team. It is much more likely that they move on from Pete Carroll after this year, than trade Wilson and keep Carroll.

It is funny to me that some people (not necessarily the OP that you were replying to) are so opposed to JW being the Saints QB that they keep trying to convince themselves the Saints can trade for Wilson or Rodgers, or develop Book into a good starter by next year. The reality is that the Saints will most likely resign Winston, sign another free agent we are not aware will be there right now, or maybe draft a QB if the wheels come off with Winston gone.

Anyway. as someone living in the Seattle area I will just say that there is pretty much zero buzz locally that indicates the Seahawks are serious about entertaining the idea of sending Wilson somewhere else. They would have to mend so many bridges with season ticket holders and their regional fanbase if they did that. I predict there is more of a chance of Brees coming out of retirement than Russell Wilson being traded to the Saints.

I’d be very surprised if he’s not back. The talk of Rodgers or whoever comes with a massive price tag. One the saints can’t really afford next year. Winston coming off an injury will be significantly cheaper than one of the high paid vets that people seem to love. I can see next years QBs being Trevor, Winston and Book. I think Trevor will surprise people as he’s really only had a decent offensive system his first year and has shown some good things.

Even if Glazer is right, there are a lot of variables in that equation. There’s a reason franchise QBs, playing in their prime, almost never get moved. Teams recognize the sheer difficulty of identifying and developing a franchise QB and the value drives the compensation to extremes.

Stafford might be the most comparable example, and that’s partly because there aren’t many to look to. That cost the Rams two 1s a 3rd and the Lions also got a former 1st round QB who they had to feel somewhat good about in their system.

We don’t have a comparable QB to package so I’d guess our investment is a minimum that has to include three 1s + or something that grades closely to that. I don’t have any problem saying I think that’s way too costly for the circumstances. If the Saints are going blockbuster, I’d hope that it’s for a young player that Payton has confidence in. If none exist in this draft, I’d rather see Winston return and go all-in the following draft if necessary. Multiple 1s + for a 33/34 year old QB seems like way too risky of a proposition to me. Further complicated by the cap constraints we have to juggle and work around.
You say that like the Lions wanted Goff, they didn’t. Stafford cost so much, in part, because the Rams needed to unload Goff’s awful contract on to another team. The Rams basically paid the Lions to take Goff not the other way around.

There are so many variables that I just don’t know. But I hope he comes back.

You say that like the Lions wanted Goff, they didn’t. Stafford cost so much, in part, because the Rams needed to unload Goff’s awful contract on to another team. The Rams basically paid the Lions to take Goff not the other way around.

I’m not touting Goff as a prize for the Lions but that in the deal, they still came away with a starting QB to try out in their system and until they can make another move. There is value in that. Combined with a 3rd, I don’t think I’m off on the value for Wilson, which I’d think could go even higher.

Salaries are always going to be a factor in these kinds of blockbuster deals, which is another problem the Saints would have to clear.

I know Wilson is the big dream for some, and in a perfect world, it’d be great to have him, but it’s extraordinarily unlikely he’ll be a Saint next season, and either way, I can’t see that kind of move making sense for us under the circumstances.

Im one that doesnt want to be in the Winston business. He hasnt played bad this year but there is 70 games of film that gives me a impression what kinda player he is and how far he can take us.

I'd be open to another one-year deal for Winston, but he can probably get more than that on the open market. Having said that, I don't love this draft's QB class. Maybe we can meet Winston in the middle with a two-year deal?

I'd be open to another one-year deal for Winston, but he can probably get more than that on the open market. Having said that, I don't love this draft's QB class. Maybe we can meet Winston in the middle with a two-year deal?
One guy I really like in the draft. Hes starting to get the attention. Pickett from Pittsburg. I think hes gonna be a good player. He will probably be 1st QB off the board in a weak QB draft

If Siemien excels, I think it devalues what Winston’s done and he won’t get a multi year deal from anyone next season. If no QB on the roster plays at least average, I think his stock goes up and by draft time people are praising his TD/INT ratio and convinces themselves he’s ready to turn the corner

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom