Wow Peter King (1 Viewer)

The denial of what Brees brought to this team by fans is very real. So many have bought into the idea that "Brees was holding us back" that they are setting themselves up for some really severe disappointment. We didn't just lose one of the best QB's to ever play the game, we lost a WR coach, an offensive line coach, an offensive coordinator and we are trading out one of the most efficient QB's ever for one of the least.

Can this team win 12 games this season? It sure can. It has a good offensive line, has enough players at the skill positions to score points and it has the talent on defense to be really good if a couple of things work our way. If we can stay healthy, run the ball effectively, play good defense and not implode in the passing game we can be good.

Can this team implode and win 4 games? It sure can. We have some pretty glaring holes at LB and CB. If we don't get really good performance from new players or suffer injuries to a few key players then we are going to really struggle.

The most likely scenario is we get worse at every position on offense. The offensive line looks worse with QB's holding the ball longer. The play calling gets worse with presnap reads and adjustments that aren't as good. We become more explosive but shoot ourselves in the foot a lot more with turnovers and sacks. On defense we likely suffer a few injuries that aren't as easily overcome as the last few years because we don't have the same depth. Our defense is asked to be on the field more and put in bad situations more often. This is why most see the Saints as an average team.

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen to this team is for everything to go "right". If we stay injury free and win some games we shouldn't then it is going to put the front office under pressure to bring in the missing pieces instead of take the down year, rebuild through the draft, fix our cap situation moving into 2022-2023 and figure out what our future looks like at QB while retaining the young talent on the team. In other words, we should be looking at a 2-3 year rebuild while remaining somewhat competitive.

The big question I have, is if Winston finds success in New Orleans will he continue to be the humble, hard working person we see now that was released by the Bucs or will he go back to being the cocky QB drafted #1 overall? One will lead to his success, the other is what led to his past failure. The last thing I want to see is hard working humble Jameis to succeed, the Saints commit to him long term and then he immediately reverts back to the player and person he was at Tampa. It's much easier to find humility in failure than success.

I love Taysom but at the end of the day he is a 31 year old running QB.

The denial of what Brees brought to this team by fans is very real. So many have bought into the idea that "Brees was holding us back" that they are setting themselves up for some really severe disappointment. We didn't just lose one of the best QB's to ever play the game, we lost a WR coach, an offensive line coach, an offensive coordinator and we are trading out one of the most efficient QB's ever for one of the least.

Can this team win 12 games this season? It sure can. It has a good offensive line, has enough players at the skill positions to score points and it has the talent on defense to be really good if a couple of things work our way. If we can stay healthy, run the ball effectively, play good defense and not implode in the passing game we can be good.

Can this team implode and win 4 games? It sure can. We have some pretty glaring holes at LB and CB. If we don't get really good performance from new players or suffer injuries to a few key players then we are going to really struggle.

The most likely scenario is we get worse at every position on offense. The offensive line looks worse with QB's holding the ball longer. The play calling gets worse with presnap reads and adjustments that aren't as good. We become more explosive but shoot ourselves in the foot a lot more with turnovers and sacks. On defense we likely suffer a few injuries that aren't as easily overcome as the last few years because we don't have the same depth. Our defense is asked to be on the field more and put in bad situations more often. This is why most see the Saints as an average team.

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen to this team is for everything to go "right". If we stay injury free and win some games we shouldn't then it is going to put the front office under pressure to bring in the missing pieces instead of take the down year, rebuild through the draft, fix our cap situation moving into 2022-2023 and figure out what our future looks like at QB while retaining the young talent on the team. In other words, we should be looking at a 2-3 year rebuild while remaining somewhat competitive.

The big question I have, is if Winston finds success in New Orleans will he continue to be the humble, hard working person we see now that was released by the Bucs or will he go back to being the cocky QB drafted #1 overall? One will lead to his success, the other is what led to his past failure. The last thing I want to see is hard working humble Jameis to succeed, the Saints commit to him long term and then he immediately reverts back to the player and person he was at Tampa. It's much easier to find humility in failure than success.

I love Taysom but at the end of the day he is a 31 year old running QB.
Still have Thomas, Kamara and now a QB who can get the ball downfield. If they hit on the defensive draft picks, Saints still a top half of the league team.

Not buying being out of the game at halftime.

Still have Thomas, Kamara and now a QB who can get the ball downfield. If they hit on the defensive draft picks, Saints still a top half of the league team.

May not be out at half time but you really don’t think the QB position got better? Come on. Brees arm strength is way over blown. Throwing to the open guy outweighs throwing the ball down the field. Saints run a west coast style of offense that uses short passes as an extension of the run. We aren’t going to fling the ball 20 yards down the field more than 3 or 4 times a game. We want accuracy at the QB position. Arm strength is a distant second.

Reading progressions quickly and throwing it accurately to the open guy will win more games than just throwing bombs because we can.

Assuming any team will be out of the game at halftime is dumb.

The assuming the Saints will be fine because we have a QB with a stronger arm is also dumb. Sorry.

Also, get the ball downfield to who? Thomas? He put up one of the best WR performances in history with Brees because Brees' ball placement is perfectly suited to MT13's ability to catch everything in tight spaces. Thomas isn't going to benefit from a guy who can throw a 40 yard rope because that isn't who he is. Kamara isn't going to benefit from throwing the ball downfield either, he isn't a deep threat WR. We don't have a TE than can stretch the field so it's obviously not him we are talking about. So are the Saints going to be better now because we have a QB that can take advantage of the speed Deonte Harris brings to the table? It wasn't Brees holding Harris back, it was Harris' health and he's still a 5'6 WR in the NFL. Are we talking about Winston suddenly making TQS a star? The rest of the Saints WR's have combined for like 15 catches in the NFL.

So, if your theory is that the Saints will not drop off because the combo of Winston and TQS or a WR to be named later will transform this offense, it just sounds silly to me.

I do agree that Winston will be better than Brees on the 10% of plays in which the ball travels greater than 20 yards in the air under the assumption those balls do not result in an increase of interceptions and sacks (a place where Winston struggles mightily). Literally every other snap Winston will be a downgrade.

One of King's dumber comments, but it did grab our attention, which is what he wants.

I expect us to take a step backwards, to be a 9-8 team, but to remain competitive. I am not especially concerned about the loss of the 2020 Drew Brees, but I am concerned about our free-agency losses coupled with a draft that should not provide major help this season

But a game against Tampa over at halftime? We will be better than the Giants, the Bears, and the Patriots, a team King glaringly did not list.

Just don't give him the clicks. He's a gossip columnist. Let it go.

Winston was hands down the worst qb in the nfc south. And most Saints fans were happy to know he was healthy and starting against the Saints. He changes uniforms and now he is a savior? I can’t believe what I read here.

I don't see the point of being angry about what Peter King wrote.

Drew Brees retired. We have finished on a disappointing fashion the last four seasons. We lost depth. People out of New Orleans are expecting the saints to decline, at least for a couple of seasons.

That is the logical way to think if you are not a saints fan. On the other side, we are confident we still have the team to compete. Will it be to win another division title? I really can't say.

Right now, Buffalo and Dallas are more interesting options regarding national ratings to start the season. That is a fact.

And regarding Peter King? Even when he drank the KoolAide Roger Goddell gave him over bounty gate, the situation made King to look at the commissioner's office with distrust after.

I do read him every Monday and love his column. He has once again full access to the the saints, at least from Sean Payton. His column on him seating on the Saturday quarterback meeting with Payton, Brees and Carmichael was exceptional.

And of course, I pay more attention to what King may report regarding the saints, than Michael Lombardi :)

The media is going to miss the boat big time on the Saints this year, we're going to 'surprise' everyone!
Good. We play better as underdogs anyway.

What’s crazy is that his analysis would have merit if we’d never gone almost half a season without our HOF QB and still had a winning record. He’s acting like we haven’t been transitioning to life without Drew for the past three seasons now.

Only one way to shut these know it all types up- win and win big!

I’m not sure why any fan on here would want the Saints to face the Bucs in their opener lol. That’s a for sure LOSS!

Did anyone else see this comment fro Peter King today, are national expectations that low for the Saints this year?

To schedule the Saints or Bears or Giants here (all Bucs home foes this year) doesn’t seem smart because any of them could be a game that’s over by halftime. Not so with Buffalo or Dallas. The Bills could go to Tampa and win the opener, and the Cowboys, with Dak Prescott leading an explosive offense, would be able to go toe-to-toe with the Arians/Brady offense. We’ll see, but those are the two sexiest home foes for the Bucs, and I think one of them will open the NFL’s 102nd season.

It would make sense , ratings wise, to run the bucs versus the cowgirls.

Despite sucking for the better part of 25 years, the cowgirls still generate the biggest ratings. Add that with Tom Brady and defending Super Bowl champs and you will start the " post Covid" NFL season off with a potentially high rated game.

Regardless the cowgirls and bucs game is going to be a primetime game. Just got to figure out which one is going to be

It would make sense , ratings wise, to run the bucs versus the cowgirls.

Despite sucking for the better part of 25 years, the cowgirls still generate the biggest ratings. Add that with Tom Brady and defending Super Bowl champs and you will start the " post Covid" NFL season off with a potentially high rated game.

Regardless the cowgirls and bucs game is going to be a primetime game. Just got to figure out which one is going to be
Agreed. Regardless of what people think of the Cowboys - they are ratings gold. With the return of Dak...that makes them a very intriguing matchup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom