WR depth could still be a concern (1 Viewer)

The Saints lack of pursuit of a prototypical "big body" receiver this offseason combined with keeping Tipton, a guy who played a whopping 2 weeks of training camp and then missed the rest, on the final 53 says a lot. I think while Shanahan may value bigger wide receivers in premier roles, Kubiak does not. And honestly, I hope Kubiak doesn't try to simply replicate the 49ers offense here. You want to be the team at the front of the evolutionary curve, not the rear.

But they did make an effort to add bigger WRs. They drafted Means (6'1" and 212 lbs.), signed Wilson (6' 2" and 197 lbs.), St. Brown (6' 5" and 214 lbs.), and Kevin Austin (6' 2" and 200 lbs.) who are all bigger guys. Tipton was a flyer on an UDFA. It worked out, but it wasn't part of a larger effort to get more smaller fast guys. They were clearly trying to add size to their WR corps in veteran free agency and the draft.

Austin and St. Brown are still on the practice squad.

Kubiak values the best talent he has and uses them in the ways that work best for them. If anything, they have tried to add bigger WRs but none of them have beat out Shaheed or Olave. And it appears that only maybe Wilson has beat out Tipton.

Dennis and Kubiak must be confident in Tipton and Wilson to spell and back up the 1s or they would have made a move by now.

Things are all sorts of confusing.

Per Underhill, the Saints reportedly were working on a draft day trade with the Rams if...

Bowers falls to 14, the Saints swap 1sts with the Rams and move back to 19. The Saints would get additional picks from the Rams.

So the Saints were willing to pass on Bowers and likely miss out on Fuaga as well? Skip the perfect TE for this type of scheme and a very talented OT prospect? I'll never understand that and am glad the Raiders ensured that it never materialized.

Tipton could be a surprise target vs Philly. They will focus heavily on our top 2 guys.

I don't see Tipton doing much against Philly. Kubiak loves to run, Philly can't stop the run, I'd expect another 200ish yards passing with Olave, Shaheed, and Kamara getting the bulk of it.

But they did make an effort to add bigger WRs. They drafted Means (6'1" and 212 lbs.), signed Wilson (6' 2" and 197 lbs.), St. Brown (6' 5" and 214 lbs.), and Kevin Austin (6' 2" and 200 lbs.) who are all bigger guys. Tipton was a flyer on an UDFA. It worked out, but it wasn't part of a larger effort to get more smaller fast guys. They were clearly trying to add size to their WR corps in veteran free agency and the draft.

Austin and St. Brown are still on the practice squad.

Kubiak values the best talent he has and uses them in the ways that work best for them. If anything, they have tried to add bigger WRs but none of them have beat out Shaheed or Olave. And it appears that only maybe Wilson has beat out Tipton.

Thing is, those guys were flyers but the ones they kept on the final 53 was a veteran of this style system who appears to be slowly moving down the depth chart and one who had just two weeks of camp practices. The others are on the practice squad. That's not a serious effort to find larger receivers. Of the Saints "core four" Wide Receivers, only one is the 49ers prototype.

Great OC's adapt their scheme to the talent they have, but I'm thinking with how the Saints handled the offseason additions, Kubiak's not concerned with size at WR.

I've been studying the Saints offense and 2 games is far too small of a sample size, but so far it is clear their goal is for Tipton to be their #3 guy. Shaheed and Olave are both 4.3 guys. Shaheed feels like a 4.0 guy to be honest. Tipton is another 4.3 guy.

With how Kubiak is putting his receivers in motion, they must be fast in order to be a genuine threat for reverses, pitches, and even having the ball snapped directly to them while they're in motion. They must be willing to block. Every receiver on the team has shown they give 100% blocking, but how many have the speed to actually be a threat to win the race to the edge? Kubiak has only had them "handoff" to a Wide Receiver four times, three to Shaheed and once to Olave, genuine threats to outflank the fastest defenses.

Saints WRs:
Rasheed Shaheed - can't find anything "official" but we know he's freaking fast.
Chris Olave - 4.26s readjusted to 4.39s 40 (wtf?).
Mason Tipton - 4.34s 40.
AT Perry - 4.47s 40.
Bub Means - 4.49s 40.
Cedrick Wilson - 4.55s 40.

If you replace Olave or Shaheed with anyone other than Tipton on the roster, it is an obvious loss of speed and versatility.

Perry, Means, and Wilson feel like guys who at this point are coming in purely for relief or if Kubiak is forced to go pass heavy.

I think the real concern is Running Back. No one on the team is even remotely close to Kamara and the only back who might be half as versatile as Kamara is on IR.

I don't put much into 40 times and I don't think that necessarily is a key factor, unless you are running a straight go route they don't mean much, it's quickness that gets most of them open....I also think AT Perry will start to shine whenever he's given snaps.....

I somewhat agree on RB, but we really don't know what we have with Mims yet.....would be nice if Miller gets healthy sooner rather than later or never.....

I don't put much into 40 times and I don't think that necessarily is a key factor, unless you are running a straight go route they don't mean much, it's quickness that gets most of them open....I also think AT Perry will start to shine whenever he's given snaps.....

I somewhat agree on RB, but we really don't know what we have with Mims yet.....would be nice if Miller gets healthy sooner rather than later or never.....

I don't put any stock in 40 times however looking at how the Saints have handled their final roster and snap counts so far, speed and agility ranks highly for their receivers.

Our offense is playing far beyond what I hoped or dreamed. The o-line is playing well above expectations. Alvin is back to HOF levels. Derek Carr is playing at an MVP caliber level.

However, I still see a glaring issue. WR. Shaheed and Olave are great players. But who do we really have behind them. If one of them go down, who can we count on to come in and keep things going.

Maybe AT Perry will be the guy when he finally comes back from injury. Maybe it’s St Brown. I just don’t know right now.

I was watching Kay Adam’s and she had on Devonte Adam’s with Shaheed and I thought what a great idea it would be to try and trade for him. He was lightning up while talking about Derek and it was obvious that he would love to play with him again.

That would be a coup getting him right now. We just don’t have anyone to trust coming in in someone goes down. Waiting for the trade deadline is not a great idea. What do yall think
You could say that about most teams. Depth is thin for a lot of teams. I worry about injuries especially at qb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom