WR depth could still be a concern (6 Viewers)

I’ve said this in multiple threads. It’s all good now bc we haven’t had to rely on a 3rd guy yet. When those close games roll around, especially in the playoffs, someone will need to step up big. Plus, like you said in regards to an injury. This could derail our season.

I’ve said this in multiple threads. It’s all good now bc we haven’t had to rely on a 3rd guy yet. When those close games roll around, especially in the playoffs, someone will need to step up big. Plus, like you said in regards to an injury. This could derail our season.
Well, "derail our season" is a bit subjective. For a Super Bowl-or-bust fan, sure. But for others, this will be a great season barring injury to critical pieces - fun team to watch; solid character guys; likely playoff run.

That said, I do totally agree that we will not have a good feel for the ceiling for this team until we see this offense multiple scores behind and having to play 3-4 WR sets without max protection. And if that doesn't turn out well, we'll also get a good feel for this latest generation of post-2006 fans by whether/how quickly they turn on Carr and/or the O-line..

Last edited:
I don’t think we need it. We mostly play 2 WRs and we want Olave and Shaheed out there. Our big targets are TEs. Other than that we’re going with speed. I don’t know if he’d be ready to roll full time or not but I think eventually Tipton is that guy who would move into the lineup if something happened to Shaheed or Olave.

We haven’t even really dipped into our other wrs yet this early and that’s a great thing. Meaning teams won’t have Tipton, AT Perry, etc on film and we can sneak plays on other teams using those guys. Best believe we will try to show Perry and Bub means some love when they return home to Georgia next week.

Well, "derail our season" is a bit subjective. For a Super Bowl-or-bust fan, sure. But for others, this will be a great season barring injury to critical pieces - fun team to watch; solid character guys; likely playoff run.

That said, I do totally agree that we will not have a good feel for the ceiling for this team until we see this offense multiple scores behind and having to play 3-4 WR sets without max protection. And if that doesn't turn out well, we'll also get a good feel for this latest generation of post-2006 fans by whether/how quickly they turn on Carr and/or the O-line..
Well, we have all witnessed what happens in the playoffs when you lack offensive weapons. Making the playoffs and possibly playing well, or well enough to win, but still lose, can still be a success. However, this team has the makings of something special. The playoffs are officiated differently. Someone needs to become a consistent player for us. Whether that be a WR or TE. We can’t go into the playoffs with defenses knowing that they only have to cover two guys. It won’t work. I want a dang Super Bowl. Someone needs to step up. I don’t care if it’s two TEs that can routinely move the chains. I do believe that we can create something special with getting Foster and JJ more involved. It’s just a concern. I’m sure KK can scheme some plays for them, but it’s still a concern as of now. I’m thinking Foster will be the guy to step up, if anyone is to

Well, we have all witnessed what happens in the playoffs when you lack offensive weapons. Making the playoffs and possibly playing well, or well enough to win, but still lose, can still be a success. However, this team has the makings of something special. The playoffs are officiated differently. Someone needs to become a consistent player for us. Whether that be a WR or TE. We can’t go into the playoffs with defenses knowing that they only have to cover two guys. It won’t work. I want a dang Super Bowl. Someone needs to step up. I don’t care if it’s two TEs that can routinely move the chains. I do believe that we can create something special with getting Foster and JJ more involved. It’s just a concern. I’m sure KK can scheme some plays for them, but it’s still a concern as of now. I’m thinking Foster will be the guy to step up, if anyone is to
Agree.

What's that old Brees quote: "Confidence comes from demonstrated ability", I think?

As much as I love these blowouts, we will need some of those 2009 Miami, Washington games to build character and, as you mention, identify those step-up players that will build the confidence to also step up in those inevitable playoff adversity moments.

I am not too worried about WR depth. So far we are 64% run and 36% pass. Remember Kubiak said he was going to pound the rock. The thing I really like so far is that on 3rd and 7+ (normally a passing down) the Saints aren't afraid to run. If it succeeds that really demoralizes a defense.

Perry has been nursing a hand, but as soon as he gets in the game he'll help take some pressure off of Olave and Shaheed.

Wilson is a capable vet and Tipton and Means are up and coming.

I don’t think we need it. We mostly play 2 WRs and we want Olave and Shaheed out there. Our big targets are TEs. Other than that we’re going with speed. I don’t know if he’d be ready to roll full time or not but I think eventually Tipton is that guy who would move into the lineup if something happened to Shaheed or Olave.

It's not really true that we play mostly 2 WRs. We do play a lot of 21 and 12 personnel and that is a staple of the Shanahan/Kubiak system, but we played 24 snaps in 11 personnel against the Panthers which was our most used personnel grouping in that game. We only used 11 personnel 4 times against the game against Dallas so in some games we do use mostly 12 and 21, but it's not going to be the case in all games. So, I think 11 personnel can be a big part of the offense against certain teams. Also, we had a big lead in both of these games so that may have limited how much 11 personnel we used in the first two games and at some point they are going to have to throw the ball more in close games or to come back in games. That's likely going to mean more 3 WR sets and some 4 WR sets.

I do think we are fine with what we have a WR as I think Wilson is a solid vet and Tipton could surprise. Plus, means and Perry could develop.

I think we do have some problems if we lose Olave or Shaheed for any length of time; that's the point I think we need to start looking at a trade. But as far as the regular cuts and bruises that come with an NFL season, I like trying young players like Perry, Means, and Tipton.

I do think that in close games or even behind by a score, it's important that Kubiak maintain patience and keep running the offense we have had success in.

All that said, when it comes time for 2 minute offense or down multiple scores, the offense is going to look different and that's ok. That's why they practice situational football.

Juaun Jennings from the 9ers is their 3rd receiver and only had 33 targets last season.
Great call.

We are going to run the ball a lot. We are also going to target our TEs.

Foster Moreau is a big part of what we’re doing because he’s not a “tell.” Is he George Kittle? Of course not. But that’s the type of player who this offense looks to:
Someone who can block and catch and doesn’t give away what we’re calling

In all honesty Hill can play WR as a 3 or 4 no problem. Hill hauled in 7 tds receiving one season while being a gadget QB that came in only 2-3 times a game. Thats pretty good considering he was in maybe 15% of the snaps under Payton, its no wonder why Kubiak wants to have Taysom in alot.

Both Johnson and Taysom can play in a 3 WR set if needed just like SF does with Jennings. If we get really desperate AK can split out in the slot some also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom