2011 EXPERTS Mock Draft **THIRD ROUND** Completed (1 Viewer)

On a slightly seperate note has anyone else heard that Malcolm Floyd is considering entering the supplemental draft. I guess he got another DUI and is facing a lengthy suspension at Notre Dame.

I don't think there's a chance it happens. I'm not going to claim to be any type of significant ND insider, although I speak/hear from a few guys who "know" some level of gossip within those circles, but I seriously doubt that happens for a few reasons.

1. Don't expect the penalty to be too severe (potentially a 1-game season opening suspension). ND does have a few more hurdles due to their university setup, but honestly don't expect Kelly to do much in this regard. (That's not to say Kelly "doesn't care" about off-the-field actions, but I think we all know how major college football programs operate in general).

2. It's likely in Floyd's best interests to return, have a great season, and move on. Leaving ND on this note would not help his supplemental draft spot. He'd be taken, probably in the 3rd I would guess, but we all know that teams hate shelling out supplemental/future picks in the first place.

3. Those who know him say he really does want his ND degree. Another semester/year may or may not get that done for him depending on the class load he can handle, but it will put him on the doorstep of doing so. He obviously would have left sooner if he was a sure-fire first round guy, after all you can always go back to school, but not the NFL, but it does matter to him and his parents/mother. Plus he has ND records to break, on a football note.

4. This one is not information I have heard, but my own question/curiosity. Is there even a supplemental draft allowed with the CBA expiration. This draft was accounted for in the plans even before the expiration, but was the supplemental draft?

Anyhow, take all that with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before...I think it was once in June of 1997 (but I could be wrong about that date :hihi:).

I don't think there's a chance it happens. I'm not going to claim to be any type of significant ND insider, although I speak/hear from a few guys who "know" some level of gossip within those circles, but I seriously doubt that happens for a few reasons.

1. Don't expect the penalty to be too severe (potentially a 1-game season opening suspension). ND does have a few more hurdles due to their university setup, but honestly don't expect Kelly to do much in this regard. (That's not to say Kelly "doesn't care" about off-the-field actions, but I think we all know how major college football programs operate in general).

2. It's likely in Floyd's best interests to return, have a great season, and move on. Leaving ND on this note would not help his supplemental draft spot. He'd be taken, probably in the 3rd I would guess, but we all know that teams hate shelling out supplemental/future picks in the first place.

3. Those who know him say he really does want his ND degree. Another semester/year may or may not get that done for him depending on the class load he can handle, but it will put him on the doorstep of doing so. He obviously would have left sooner if he was a sure-fire first round guy, after all you can always go back to school, but not the NFL, but it does matter to him and his parents/mother. Plus he has ND records to break, on a football note.

4. This one is not information I have heard, but my own question/curiosity. Is there even a supplemental draft allowed with the CBA expiration. This draft was accounted for in the plans even before the expiration, but was the supplemental draft?

Anyhow, take all that with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before...I think it was once in June of 1997 (but I could be wrong about that date :hihi).

Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I was looking for! I read a blurb on PFT I think it was and haven't heard anything more about it.

If it's just a one game suspension then he'd probably be best off going back and not entering the NFL on a bad note on the heels of a DUI. As for point #4, I have no clue but I'm sure we'll get an answer shortly from someone that does.

The Bengals select James Carpenter, OT/G Alabama

jamescarpenter1.jpg

We have great need across our OL and Carpenter has the versatility to play the tackle and guard positions for us. I think we are getting a steal picking him up here. I've read a few opinions that say he might be the best interior lineman in the draft.

...James Carpenter-OT-Alabama: 6’5″ #313
Strengths-Carpenter is a solid player. James has long arms and a quick and strong punch off the snap. He shows good arm extension and shows the ability to sink his hips and get natural knee bend. Nice job sustaining blocks and shows the ability to mirror defenders well. Has very solid but not elite feet. Good consistency with his kickslide and ability to cut off speed rushers on the outside. Shows very good functional strength and can dominate in the running game with down blocks and side blocks. Displays good physicality and keeps legs and feet churning in the run game. Shows quick enough feet to make up for missteps and slow reactions to the snap. Does a good job using his big body to wall off defenders. Shows nice ability to keep his balance and be a productive to excellent blocker on the second level. Shows the speed and athletic ability to get out in front on traps, pulls and outside runs.
Weaknesses-Needs to do a better job at keeping his pad level low. Needs to do a better job at consistently keeping his hands inside the framework of the defender. Lets blockers into his chest too much.

NFR Draft Analysis-We believe Carpenter is one of the more underrated tackles at time of press. He shows the skills to play OT in the NFL for a long time and be a very productive and possible Pro Bowl player. Carpenter should come off the board in the early second round of the 2011 NFL draft. He could even sneak into the 1st with a great combine and pro day.

NFL Comparison-Jamaal Brown

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dp8wSEAEMP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

good pick with carpenter!

i actually considered him in the 2nd but i had him and hairston graded evenly at Tackle but hairston as the better guard prospect for our team.

Has anyone else noticed that there hasn't been many running backs taken yet in this draft? I don't pick for a while so I figured pointing it out wouldn't hurt my board.

Has anyone else noticed that there hasn't been many running backs taken yet in this draft? I don't pick for a while so I figured pointing it out wouldn't hurt my board.
That was one reason I was able to double dip on the DE-Line instead of having to grab a RB with my last pick. I have 3 RB that I would be perfectly happy with and I see at least two of the three sliding. I may even decide to put off RB until the fourth round depending on who slides from here. I have my eye on a couple of prospects with a 2nd round grade.

Burton was one guy I had my eye on for my next pick, but Waymer scooped him already.

good pick with carpenter!

i actually considered him in the 2nd but i had him and hairston graded evenly at Tackle but hairston as the better guard prospect for our team.

Thanks, I was watching the draft go down and hoping that he slid down to my spot. I think this guy could start from day one for the Bengals.

Thanks, I was watching the draft go down and hoping that he slid down to my spot. I think this guy could start from day one for the Bengals.

I wouldn't doubt it. He held up well at the senior bowl against kerrigan and mayock actually took time out to praise him. He has better feet and arms than people think and should be a solid left tackle there for years.

What's taking Buffalo so long? It's taken damn near a week to get from my 2nd round pick to my 3rd rounder. Geez.

Isn't the pick up now past the two hour period? what happens now?

Isn't the pick up now past the two hour period? what happens now?

Considering we have another week before comp picks are announced allowing us to move on the 4th round I say someone texts him and give him some extra time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom