2013 Hip-Hop (1 Viewer)

Yeah, the autotune on that song was fantastic and totally necessary. :hihi:

We have very different tastes, I guess.

I'm not a fan of the autotune at all, thought it was used really well in that song though. I also thought 808 was a good album. So yeah, we have very different tastes, but hey, the world would be a sad place if everyone had the same taste!

Don't know if you guys know J. Cole, disappointed by his album, he played it too safe. Mac Miller was okay I guess. He began to work with Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q and the rest of TDE, his album is okay.

Next on the list, Drake, Q, Jay-Z.

I've been listening to it since last night.

MBDTF just grabbed me immediately, but I've been a little unsure on Yeezus so far.

I was really hyped for it, especially the last few weeks, because I caught his SNL performance where he performed New Slaves and Black Skinhead, which I thought he really killed. But I'm not really enjoying the rest of the album as much of those (yet).

The production seems great, I really like what I guess you would call the concept of the album, but the lyrics seem a little lacking and underwhelming. I've never really considered Kanye to be a lyricist but even this seems below his usual standard.

I think the final product shouldn't have come out so soon. There was an interview I read with Rick Rubin who came on late as the executive producer, and he basically said that when he came out the album was due out really soon, but that Kanye still hadn't recorded vocals for a bunch of stuff and that he thought that the album still had months of work left. Obviously they released it when they said they would, but I can't help thinking about that interview when listening to the album.

That doesn't surprise me about the album being rushed. The intial reaction I had listening to Yeezus was that the album sounded lazy. The lyrics definitely were. Yes, I get it, Kanye. You're overwhelmed by materialism and your ego. And most of the songs reflect that, but at the same time, you speak out against the exact same thing in other songs. He's a walking contradiction and wants us to know it. That's a decent concept for one album, but the man has been talking about the same thing for years. Besides the beats, Yeezus doesn't bring us anything new. But even the beats can't be considered revolutionary. They're basically industrial electronic with 808's and annoying synths mixed in. The production is only groundbreaking to mainstream music.

Hype is what's driving this album. If anyone else made it, no one would give a ****. It's cool to push the envelope with music, especially in hip-hop, which is known to go through periods of stagnation. But with this album, I feel like Kanye is pushing it just for the sake of doing so.

I will admit that Black Skinhead is a great song, and will undoubtedly be featured in 20 movies within the next year. But other than that, Yeezus is average at best.

The new Earl Sweatshirt video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0FcDXL5Aw0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really can't wait for Doris to be released in August. I think it could end up being the best hip hop album of the year. Earl definitely has the talent to make it the best. Here's something else that'll be on the album. I'm not a big fan of Mac Miller, but he's good on this track.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pOXXeRwCmXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

man, i like Earl Sweatshirt and Frank Ocean a lot, and i like Tyler when hes actually trying to rap and not just yelling swag and f**k over and over. the rest of odd future is garbage, just hangers-on riding the success those three. if it werent for Yonkers, none of the rest of those turds would be yelling and being ignorant on albums, because i think only Earl and Frank could've made it on their own.

man, i like Earl Sweatshirt and Frank Ocean a lot, and i like Tyler when hes actually trying to rap and not just yelling swag and f**k over and over. the rest of odd future is garbage, just hangers-on riding the success those three. if it werent for Yonkers, none of the rest of those turds would be yelling and being ignorant on albums, because i think only Earl and Frank could've made it on their own.

I'm with you. I'm not a big fan of Frank Ocean's music, but I do respect his talent. And with Tyler, you're spot on. I like his stuff, but I'm more of a fan for him being the producer and mastermind of the Odd Future sound. His rapping is meh. (Sort of the same way I feel about RZA)

Earl definitely could have made it on his own. His flow is fresh and original, and he knows how to pick beats that suit him. What's crazy is how he's not even 20 years old yet. I may be over-hyping him a bit, but I expect him to eventually go down as one of the best rappers of this generation.

Joey Bada$$'s new mixtape, Summer Knights, came out a few days ago. It's good. Not as good as his last, but worth a few listens. And it's free to download. Link Below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KE2UxURy3ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Download Link:

Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com

Disappointed by this mixtape. He's becoming predictable with all this 90s ****. Let's hope he doesn't become like K.R.I.T, a boring & unoriginal artist.

Disappointed by this mixtape. He's becoming predictable with all this 90s ****. Let's hope he doesn't become like K.R.I.T, a boring & unoriginal artist.

I understand being disappointed with Summer Knights. I was too. I still enjoyed it, but I thought it was just ok. I'm hoping Joey brings his best on his upcoming album.

But K.R.I.T. being boring and unoriginal?! I don't see that at all. One of the most talented guys in hip hop, and one of the only respectable and well known southern rappers out there. The man has been consistently putting out good music for the past few years (and most of it has been free to download). Please..Please let Joey turn into a Big KRIT type artist. We need more like him, and less Drake type dudes.

I understand being disappointed with Summer Knights. I was too. I still enjoyed it, but I thought it was just ok. I'm hoping Joey brings his best on his upcoming album.

But K.R.I.T. being boring and unoriginal?! I don't see that at all. One of the most talented guys in hip hop, and one of the only respectable and well known southern rappers out there. The man has been consistently putting out good music for the past few years (and most of it has been free to download). Please..Please let Joey turn into a Big KRIT type artist. We need more like him, and less Drake type dudes.

K.R.I.T is boring and unoriginal, yes. Did you see how his first album flopped? No originality whatsoever in the beat selection, in his flow, in the hooks, it all sounds the same! Sure, he has the talent to be great, but he needs to get his **** together. His first mixtapes were really good though.

Why less Drake type dudes? Take Care is an incredible album I don't see what you're talking about. Sure, Thank Me Later was garbage, but Take Care was really good. Got incredible reviews (viewed as a modern day classic by many), good lyrics that you can relate to, great hooks, great production. Why all the hate?

Again, this year :

The great :
Kanye West - Yeezus
Milo - Things That Happen At Day/At Night
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels

The Good :
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Jon Connor - Unconscious State

The okay :
J.Cole - Born Sinner
Travi$ Scott - Owl Pharaoh
Ace Hood - Trials & Tribulations
Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - Twelve Reasons To Die
Big K.R.I.T - King Remembered In Time
The Underachievers - Indigoism

The Bad :
Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail
Asher Roth - The Greenhouse Effect Vol.II
Freddie Gibbs - ESGN
Talib Kweli - Prisoner Of Conscious
Rittz - Life And Times Of Jonny Valliant
Pusha T - Wrath Of Caine

The Extremely Bad :
Kid Cudi - Indicud
French Montana - Excuse My French
Ugly Heroes - Ugly Heroes

Take Care is not a hip hop album. It's more pop/R&B.

We've already established that we have different tastes. But if you really want to know why I don't like Drake:

I think he is an immature ******-bag. Need evidence? Listen to 'Marvin's Room.' I can't relate to any of his lyrics. His rapping/flow is average at best. The foundation of it is a style he bit from Lil Wayne, which was getting tired anyways. Boastful, pointless and inane similes stacked back to back for 3 minutes until the song ends. Even in his rapping voice, he tries to imitate Wayne at times. His singing is terrible. And he uses the auto-tune schtick to no end. He's a pop artist, nothing more. Do his songs sound good in a club or at a party? Yeah. But actually sitting down and listening to his stuff, is torture for me. He does have good production on a lot of his songs, but I think it's a shame some of those beats were wasted on him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ftwT-HI86kA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I gave up on rap. All these new dudes today suck. The ones that used to make good music suck now too. I can point fingers all day but basically it comes down to the rap game is one giant unified corporation trying to suck as much money as it possibly can from the people without putting out good tunes in return. For years and years I shelled out hundreds of dollars buying music from the stores even when I knew I could just download it for free. And I was happy to do it because it meant that I was paying for something worth buying.

All this swag **** messed everything up. Soulja Boy basically came along and instead of letting him have his own lane and make his money, everyone started trying to imitate him and it started a whole new genre of fake gangsta/swag rap that has just become unbearable. When I occasionally hear the garbage that is on the radio now it just sickens me that people actually like this kind of music. It is just horrible.

New Hopsin album is supposed to come out sometime this month.

EDIT: Just saw on wiki that it's November 26. Uggh only 2+ months away...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom