A look at the top 10...and the potential trading that could take place (1 Viewer)

I don't think it matters whether or not people on this board knew about Ellis. Scouts knew about him even before the week of the senior bowl. I think Dorsey has been the #1 prospect for so long in scout's minds that the idea that there may be another guy nearly as good or equal to him was never given any deference. Then, with the talent at USC, that can hurt a prospect in that you begin to believe that part of a player's success may be the team around him and not just that player. I think the senior bowl proved to people that Ellis could be a dominant force. Also, I think that Dorsey defends against the run and pass very well and probably better than any DT that you can remember in recent years. But I think Ellis is more adept at rushing the QB from the DT spot than Dorsey is and is almost as good in terms of being a force against the run. So, again, Dorsey's a superior talent and prospect and a great fit as a 3-tech. But Ellis is a very solid prospect and not so far off in talent from Dorsey that it would be ludicrous to compare the two or even suggest, as some analysts/scouts have, that Ellis is ahead of Dorsey.

Once again, I think Ellis certainly improved his stock this week, and of course scouts knew about him prior to this week. But I will say this again, had both Dorsey and Ellis come out last year, Dorsey is still a first round pick, and Ellis isn't. And with all of the talent at LSU, Dorsey has been the best the past two years. It can be argued that Ellis would be playing second fiddle to Maualaga had he come out this year. I think, bottom line, if you ask every GM of teams that run the 4-3 defense who they would rank higher, I would be willing to bet large amounts of money that they would all have Dorsey ranked higher than Ellis. Ellis has had a solid college career and one good week of practice. Dorsey has been at the top for two years. And no, I'm not an LSU fan. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. I think Ellis will be a solid NFL player and will be drafted top 10, but no way before Dorsey.

so lemme get this straight. Cinci pays a kings ransom to move up and the saints give up an average OT and a 4th to move up? to further make things interesting, dorsey is there when we would have picked???

ok...

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59990
a bit more realistic look at how things may unfold...

Last edited:
so lemme get this straight. Cinci pays a kings ransom to move up and the saints give up an average OT and a 4th to move up? to further make things interesting, dorsey is there when we would have picked???

ok...

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59990
a bit more realistic look at how things may unfold...
Did you notice that he said it wasn't a mock and it was conjecture?

I think his post showed some different scenarios that could happen in regards to trades. If he said this was his mock than I think your argument would be more valid.

well then, i guess the saints will land jesus in the 1st, mary in the 2nd, and joseph in the third. with jesus, if we can land father and holy spirit in FA we will be set...

since we are just making wild stuff up and all...

Dallas trading Marion Barber? I dont care how high Jerry Jones is on Mcfadden..... no way Dallas trades Marion Barber.....

well then, i guess the saints will land jesus in the 1st, mary in the 2nd, and joseph in the third. with jesus, if we can land father and holy spirit in FA we will be set...

since we are just making wild stuff up and all...
I think his point was to give an example of how, in his opinion, the 1st 10 picks could go if there were a few trades within the top 10. It is very unlikey that the draft will go down like that because there usually aren't that many trades in the top 10. Every year something happens that is the opposite of the conventional wisdom. For some reason it looks like you are treating this as his mock draft. Would you have liked it better if he would have done a different scenario that each had only one trade in it?

i questioned one specific trade that made no sense. there is no way we get away with giving up an average OT and a 4th and move up and land a 5th. it doesnt even make sense. it isnt possible when looking at this objectively, it is just as probable that we land jesus, mary, and joseph, as well as the father and holy spirit as that trade happening...

Sedrick Ellis = Tommie Harris... but the obvious probably not as good.

Glenn Dorsey = Albert Haynesworth... but less rediculously dominant.

You spent way too much time on this very bad mock trade/draft thing. Especially with us trading Stinch, our FO just signed him for cheap and he is a lot better than his backup.

And then this mentally challenged trade involving Chad Johnson? Wow you must be smoking something illegal and if it isn't I want some!

One of the more intriguing prospects in the entire draft is Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I said it a month ago and I stand by it...
Well not quite a month. More like two weeks.

***Saints trade Jon Stinchcomb, OT, and their 4th round draft choice to the Chiefs in exchange for the 5th pick overall from the Chiefs.***

The Chiefts #5 pick is valued at 1700 points. The Saints 4th round pick is valued at 84 points. I do not think Stinchcomb carries a difference of 1616 points. No way the Chiefts make this trade.

The Saints can only wish!
He didn't make it clear in his post that the Saints would give the Chiefs the Saints 1st round pick, their 5th round pick and ORT Stinchcomb. In return, the Saints receive the #5 pick. That's not completely unrealistic. Stinchcomb was a 2nd round pick and has performed very well the last two seasons against some of the best DE's in the NFL. The Saints have depth at ORT, so it makes sense for the Saints as well.

The most unrealistic scenario is the Saints moving up to #5 and letting Dorsey pass them by...

cool stuff..but id just hate for us to trade up for one of the 2 DTs and the other one falls to 10..your top pick is a great sleeper for it, he'll put up good workout numbers

I haven't heard this rumor of Bushrod assuming LT and Jammal going back to RT. Is this fan rumor or is it coming from a source with the Saints?

I haven't heard this rumor of Bushrod assuming LT and Jammal going back to RT. Is this fan rumor or is it coming from a source with the Saints?

fan speculation

IF Glen Dorsey were going to fall to the number 10 pick (HIGHLY doubtful, though I still respect your draft,) then I'd much rather keep our 4th round pick, and Jon Stinchcomb, and just take Dorsey at 10.

Man, that would be SWEET

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom