Adrian Arrington (1 Viewer)

No two ways about it, the injuries at TE/RB and Colston's absence will probably see AA receiving a heavy workload again at least in the first round. This thread has been talking a little bit about AA vs. Colston or AA vs. Henderson, but the real comparison for this particular postseason would look more like AA vs. Julius Jones or AA vs. Humphrey (if we're trying to allocate snaps between the different personnel groupings).

The groupings analysis is partially true, and I suppose my argument is that the 4th back, 4th TE, or 4-5th receiver would combine for few to no snaps in most rotations. I cringe when I see Julius jones in late redone sets. That means ivory, Reggie, pt, are not on the field or one of those TEs or receivers is on the sideline. On a play inside the 20 late - see Atlanta for example- I don't want jones, Humphrey, or arrington in unless something has gone very wrong, or we are way up. On the most important plays I want our best and most important players on the field. In the playoffs every snap is crucial, and I don't see arringtons performance today- as good as it was- as warranting anyone coming off the field to get him reps. If anything some of those guys ::cough:: devery ::cough:: should see less snaps also.

If anything drew, Brady, and manning have all shown us that they can put it in just about anyones hands. When a LB is sitting at 8 yards and he breaks off his route to sit on that players hip instead of to the outside where there is greenspace, it's a problem. When drew is scrambling and AA gets stuck flat footed cause he's not sure where he wants to go, its a problem. Both very correctable but the playoffs are not where I want to test that.

He played very well all things considered. Why is it absurd for me to be saying that I'd rather see colston, Moore etc... You know, all those guys that have proven it in the playoffs and a superbowl, Get 3-4 extra snaps each if everyones healthy instead of pulling them off for AA (or even devery)- a guy that is on a learning curve still and may well be good but is not there yet.

true, but brees has also shown us that will find the best available option that's open, regardless of who it is. today, that option was AA - SEVEN TIMES (actually eight).

it's not absurd to say you'd rather see the veterans out there, but I watched AA a lot today and I didn't come away with the same impression you did. The first time he was targeted, he let the ball go over his head because he thought it was intended for someone else. One other time, he did get caught a little flat-footed when Brees was scrambling. but otherwise I thought he ran some great routes. and he would never have been thrown to so many times if he hadn't.

Arrington outperformed Meachem and Devery combined. Easily. Neither of them did anything.

My prediction is next years "Big 4" will be Colston, Moore, Arrington, Meachem. Colston and Moore are simply major cogs to the offense. Meachem is still inconsistent, but he has a habit of showing up huge in huge games. Arrington caught 7 for 79 in his first NFL game. You can point out his flaws (remember, first NFL game), or you can realize that 7 for 79 isn't an accident... he's good.

Roby will be back on ST because he is a monster gunner and solid return man. Could be a great return man if we ever got a ST coach who can teach some blocking schemes.

I think the Saints will use a late round pick or find an UDFA to replace Henderson as the deep threat. Henderson just hasn't been getting the separation he used to get and has really bad hands. If he cant be a deep threat and he cant be a possession option for Brees, I don't see him being with the team next year. Henderson in my opinion needs to step up and prove his value to the team, because it is getting pretty crowded at WR.

Yea - but if I'm not mistaken he ran a wrong route early almost leading to an INT and several times I noticed him settling next to players in zones, instead of finding space. Also he didn't always know how to work to the qb when drew was in trouble. Both things that lead to turnovers and qb hits - much worse then drops. I like him as a bench receiver, but I like seeing colston, meach, Reggie, Moore, Graham, shockey etc.... Causing mismatches and giving diverse formations out of single personnel groupings. Most teams do not rotate receivers nearly as much as we do and at this stage in his career I don't see him filling Deverys role in the playoffs. We don't NEED as many guys as we have in the consistent rotation. Would anyone complain that those other guys were getting too many snaps and we need more AA on the field the next few weeks? My only point is when everyone is healthy he might be the 4-5th best weapon on many teams but he's still 7-8 on this VERY talented squad.

Thanks for the feedback, since most of us don't see what's not on TV, and many that see it in person aren't watching anything but the ball. I can imagine that the faults that you noticed are also evident in practice, and it is why he hasn't started, but he certainly showed a lot of talent today, and I think the problems you noted can be coached away. The hands, size, speed and body control can't be coached, so I was really pleased with what I saw. Now if he can only stay healthy, he should really turn into a special player.

AA is on the practice squad because he does not have the speed to be a Meachem or Devery or even Moore to stretch defenses. He is a raw version of Colston and was used in the same way. He is still a few pounds and a few reps from competing for Colston time. When a healthy Colston is active Graham, Shockey, and even Thomas is a better option than Arrington for various reasons including experience. I love AA but today's performance was a product of no film, no colston, Drew Brees, and a great effort by a Game but third tier player. If this team had a true surehanded speedster, and a running back than can do the same consistantly (although I think bush had a good game once he decided to go forward instead of backward) this offense would return to #1 status! Keep up the good work AA. Mabe we can get a solid player for you in a trade to a receiver hungry team.

yeah he is a good one, and staying in our offseason workout program is going to make him that much better.

Henderson no longer has his speed. Right now he's a smaller receiver with bad hands. His time is up, I wouldn't be surprised if Arrington runs a faster 40 at this point now.

Thanks for the feedback, since most of us don't see what's not on TV, and many that see it in person aren't watching anything but the ball. I can imagine that the faults that you noticed are also evident in practice, and it is why he hasn't started, but he certainly showed a lot of talent today, and I think the problems you noted can be coached away. The hands, size, speed and body control can't be coached, so I was really pleased with what I saw. Now if he can only stay healthy, he should really turn into a special player.

Truly that's all I was saying - he looks good. There's a reason he has been kept around. That doesn't mean that he should be elevated from practice squad to replacing devery and taking meaningful playoff snaps yet. If needed I think he will do alright but he is much more likely to make a game changing mistake then some of our other players, and seems no more likely to make the game saving play. I think he could be a solid reserve/bench player for years to come, filling in for any of our injured receivers comfortably, but I don't think he is ready to steal anyones job yet. Given another offseason he could very well take that last WR spot and be colstons primary backup easily.

Physically and mentally he seems to be almost there - keyword being almost. Add 5-10 lbs, cut out a couple boneheaded reads and he will be a very good possession receiver.

true, but brees has also shown us that will find the best available option that's open, regardless of who it is. today, that option was AA - SEVEN TIMES (actually eight).

it's not absurd to say you'd rather see the veterans out there, but I watched AA a lot today and I didn't come away with the same impression you did. The first time he was targeted, he let the ball go over his head because he thought it was intended for someone else. One other time, he did get caught a little flat-footed when Brees was scrambling. but otherwise I thought he ran some great routes. and he would never have been thrown to so many times if he hadn't.

I guess it may be coming off harsh - I'm saying he played well though. I think he made the right read a lot of the time, but all it takes is once cutting the wrong way and it's a pick 6, one time not coming back to the qb and drew gets killed. On the flip side, colston gets a catch and hes much more likely to break that one tackle. It's not that he's bad, but that I think we have some guys that are better. To all those arguing that coaches believe or he'd be gone - I agree. I also think coaches see those problems or he'd be active more then 1 game. Very good, let's of potential but a not quite there physically or mentally. Give him 5-10 more lbs and another offseason and maybe he starts stealing reps. That's a testament to his play as we probably have 4 guys that would be atleast a #2 on a lot of teams and some great RB and TE talent on the edge.

he showed he wants to be here...good play...he was on ST all day.

He is on the roster for the 1st time...he is gonna make some mistakes....heck Devery makes plenty of them. He will learn ....he is a more reliable wr at this point...IMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom