Alltime favorite guitarists (1 Viewer)

Estaban, Segovia, Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Santana, Metheny, and some dude I saw playing a big ol' Gibson in the Quarter back when I was 17. Man could play, big time.

I'll spare the list of names since most here have already stated the same names I was thinking about.

I will add one, though, that no one has named yet: Adam Jones.

Dude doesn't really do anything that anyone else hasn't done, but he's just incredibly good at it and gives Tool their unique sound.

joe satriani is an amazing player but the dude cant write a riff to save his soul. the greatest guitar player in the world doesnt mean **** to me if he cant write a good song

This is a list of your favorites, not a commentary on whether or not you think someone is good. If you don't like him, fine. There are many, some of them outstanding guitarists in their own right, who would strongly disagree with your statement.

I'll spare the list of names since most here have already stated the same names I was thinking about.

I will add one, though, that no one has named yet: Adam Jones.

Dude doesn't really do anything that anyone else hasn't done, but he's just incredibly good at it and gives Tool their unique sound.

Actually, I wouldn't put him on my list of favorites - mostly because I like other things than what he does. But I do love Tool and have to admit that he is a major part of what they do. I think he may have one of the smallest egos of any big name guitarist. He seems to be all about what is best for the band rather than being showy for his own sake (he's said as much in interviews). And when you're in a band with Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor... well, let's just say that there isn't a lot of room left for amazing levels of flash.

Satriani is in a long term record deal that basically forces him to put out a lot of stock, vintage satriani junk. There's a lot of mildly entertaining music with some genius mixed in. His best album IMO was engines of creation, which sounds nothing like the rest of them. It probably sold the fewest as well. Still, he is one of my favorites.

I also love sonny landreth and tab Benoit as hometown heroes. Jeff Beck is simply amazing even with his terrible tone. Mark Knopfler is intoxicating when he isn't putting me to sleep with his end of life crisis country music.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Frank Marino - very underrated
4. Ulrich Roth - in early days with Scorpions blew out Michael Schenker's best work
5. Robert Randolph
6. Mark Knopfler
7. Buddy Guy
8. Danny Gatton
9. Jimmy Thackerey
10. Buck Dharma - some of his best stuff is on "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees"
11. Tony Iommi
12. John Lee Hooker
13. Mark Farner
14. Slash
15. Richie Blackmore

A little love for the man that invented the electric guitar Mr. Les Paul.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HH8vjxFIUC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone listen to Jesse Cook? It's probably not what most of you would be into, but give "Gypsy Passion" and "Mario Goes For a Walk" (I think that's the right name?) a listen.

Bill McLaughlin is pretty good too - again very different. Possibly more style over substance. Take a look at "Fingerdance"

I'll link some YouTube later. Will probably have to spell check the names too.

This is a list of your favorites, not a commentary on whether or not you think someone is good.

meanwhile...

Actually, I wouldn't put him on my list of favorites - mostly because I like other things than what he does. But I do love Tool and have to admit that he is a major part of what they do. I think he may have one of the smallest egos of any big name guitarist. He seems to be all about what is best for the band rather than being showy for his own sake (he's said as much in interviews). And when you're in a band with Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor... well, let's just say that there isn't a lot of room left for amazing levels of flash.

In no particular order....
D. Allman(gone before his time)
J. Page
A. Frehley(KISS army ruled the day)
Michael J Fox (Back To The Future:smilielol:)
K. Richards
P. Townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Bob
This is a list of your favorites, not a commentary on whether or not you think someone is good.
meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Bob

Okay, let's just say that in the first post I was trying to nicely say that I didn't want to get into a "discussion" about the merits of Joe Satriani's playing - I didn't feel it was the place and I vehemently disagreed with the first post.

As far as Adam Jones is concerned... Yes, I did discuss the merits of Adam Jones (oh my). But, I was really agreeing with the first post about him. I really have a tremendous respect for Jones and was trying to convey that. Definitely not a "dis" or an argument.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom