At the Copa, Copa America ('24) (1 Viewer)

There's an old adage in futbol: penalty kicks aren't blocked, they are missed.
For the life of me, I can't understand how a professional soccer player can miss a penalty kick. All the advantage is for the kicker. It's a very short distance, and a very big goal. You either kick it high, or very low, and you kick it hard, as simple as that.

Mental aspect.

Another old adage: "think long... think wrong ".
Players take too much time to set up, stare down, stutter step etc. And end up psyching themselves out.

I think if they would just rely on their skill, block out everything else, they would be close to 100%. But fatigue both mental and physical has to play some role. Especially for defenders who exert a ton of energy both physically and mentally.

Mental aspect.

Players take too much time to set up, stare down, stutter step etc. And end up psyching themselves out.

I think if they would just rely on their skill, block out everything else, they would be close to 100%. But fatigue both mental and physical has to play some role. Especially for defenders who exert a ton of energy both physically and mentally.
Seems pk average is about 75%
At WC it’s 70% - probably many compelling reasons why
But then I found this

12. Players who take more time to ready themselves score 80% of the time.

my guess is that 75% is probably historically consistent
Just like I imagine free throw % is historically consistent

Mental aspect.

I guess we can toss "getting cute" into the mental aspect of it..

Another aspect, seems like everyone kicks with the inside of the foot nowadays. I never kicked them with the inside of the foot. Always with the top part. Goes higher faster and on a straight line. I don't care if it's Lev Yashin in front of you, you kick it hard to either top corner, on a straight line, no one stops that.

Last edited:
Seems pk average is about 75%
At WC it’s 70% - probably many compelling reasons why
But then I found this

12. Players who take more time to ready themselves score 80% of the time.

my guess is that 75% is probably historically consistent
Just like I imagine free throw % is historically consistent

Found this too.

The common denominator in all 10 is all 10 were offensive players. Not one defender in the 10. Which stands to reason regarding fatigue and mental aspect.

Which is where I get surprised when I see defenders in the first 5, after having played 120 min.

There's an old adage in futbol: penalty kicks aren't blocked, they are missed.
For the life of me, I can't understand how a professional soccer player can miss a penalty kick. All the advantage is for the kicker. It's a very short distance, and a very big goal. You either kick it high, or very low, and you kick it hard, as simple as that.

Immense pressure (mental) and pro soccer players are human.....

ICYMI...Felix Sanchez was fired from Ecuador NT immediately after the loss to Argentina in quarterfinals on pks

Found this too.

The common denominator in all 10 is all 10 were offensive players. Not one defender in the 10. Which stands to reason regarding fatigue and mental aspect.

Which is where I get surprised when I see defenders in the first 5, after having played 120 min.
That's quite the list there... although I was expecting to see some other names there.

This is how a penalty kick should be executed. An official FIFA goal is 7.32 meters wide ( 4 bald eagle wing spans in 'Murican, or 24 ft) and 2..44m in height. You kick it like that, to the top corner, the angle makes it about a 15-16 foot reach from the center of the goal to either top corner. Not even Manute Bol can reach it that quick standing from center.

Last edited:
ICYMI...Felix Sanchez was fired from Ecuador NT immediately after the loss to Argentina in quarterfinals on pks

That is insanity....that is the best I've ever seen Ecuador play.....they were the better side that day....IMO

That is insanity....that is the best I've ever seen Ecuador play.....they were the better side that day....IMO

on the surface, Its a federation that isnt content with average. Insanity? possibly. I dont know enough about Ecuadorian Football and its Assn to really know. It could be that there was internal issues that led to this.

Regardless, its yet another Federation/Association that puts its NT first.

Canada is a full step behind - unless some magic happens in the second half this game is over

Honestly didn’t expect much tonight - tomorrow though . . .

Honestly didn’t expect much tonight - tomorrow though . . .

Canada had some chances late just couldn't finish. Only caught last 35 min.

Col v Uruguay could be really entertaining. I suspect some physical play.
Should be good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom