Bar-B-Q Turkey (1 Viewer)

Brine it overnight, use indirect heat. Check internal temp at 2 hr mark. Don't want to dry it out. Baste it w/canola oil...bon appetite dude...

I never brined anything before... I'm assuming that I should put seasoning in the brine.. Correct??/

I never brined anything before... I'm assuming that I should put seasoning in the brine.. Correct??/

You can put anything you like in it. Only salt is "required" but the right seasoning will make it better. I buy this one at Williams-Sonoma because it has stuff already in it and it is great:

976_img19m.jpg

Check out the link buzd posted for a good homemade brine recipie and tips.

I plan on smoking my turkey this year.. I did it a couple years ago and it came out awesome.. In fact, here's the "Whatcha BBQ/Grillin' [tm-Ted]" post I did about it..

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55150&postcount=5

This year I plan on injecting it with some creole butter marinade as well, though.. I don't think I need to brine it b/c it actually has a sodium solution in the bag already..

I too am fairly new at brining, but almost swear by it the past 2 years. My brine solution is just 1 cup salt to 1/2 cup sugar. You can add peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic powder etc. Even did the Zatarain's boil mix once. I put it in my crawfish pot, disolved in water and cover turkey. Fits in the bottom of my beer fridge in garage. If you don't have room in fridge, add ice to cover to keep cool. This was done one off T-day with a frozen cheap turkey. Awesome. I have a Ronco Showtime Rotissere. Best investment for fowl hands down....:9:

Simple is the best. Since you are not stuffing it, I would suggest getting real mesquite charcoal, getting a nice fire going. Stuff butter, salt and ppper under the skin. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil after putting fresh rosemary, thyme and sage under the tinfoil. Use a meat thermometer. uncover at 120 degrees to brown the skin. Pull off at 165 and wrap tightly. Wait til thermometer says 175 or so (it will continue to cook after its pulled) sllice and serve.

Sorry for any misspellings, Im loaded tonight

Simple is the best. Since you are not stuffing it, I would suggest getting real mesquite charcoal, getting a nice fire going. Stuff butter, salt and ppper under the skin. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil after putting fresh rosemary, thyme and sage under the tinfoil. Use a meat thermometer. uncover at 120 degrees to brown the skin. Pull off at 165 and wrap tightly. Wait til thermometer says 175 or so (it will continue to cook after its pulled) sllice and serve.

Sorry for any misspellings, Im loaded tonight

This is a good plan to follow, but one suggestion I would make is to pull the turkey at 155 instead of 165 and let the residual heat do the rest of the cooking. I would worry that if the turkey is not brined the lean breast meat could dry out at 175. And for a bit more detail on time and temperature, I would suggest cooking in a 250 degree grill over indirect heat. A standard 7-8 pound bone-in turkey breast should take 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get to temperature.

Brine it overnight, use indirect heat. Check internal temp at 2 hr mark. Don't want to dry it out. Baste it w/canola oil...bon appetite dude...

I too am fairly new at brining, but almost swear by it the past 2 years. My brine solution is just 1 cup salt to 1/2 cup sugar. You can add peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic powder etc. Even did the Zatarain's boil mix once. I put it in my crawfish pot, disolved in water and cover turkey. Fits in the bottom of my beer fridge in garage. If you don't have room in fridge, add ice to cover to keep cool. This was done one off T-day with a frozen cheap turkey. Awesome. I have a Ronco Showtime Rotissere. Best investment for fowl hands down....:9:

Thanks for the tips Sir. I never really knew what brining was until you mentioned it. I then researched it and decided to give it a try. WOW... what a difference it makes. The only thing I forgot was to add brown sugar to the brine water. Other than that, the turkey turned out great. The wife and kids even gave their thumbs up on it! I will definitely be doing this again. I already have plans to brine pork steaks for our next "regular" BBQ.

I smoked my turkey again this year.. The cajun injection didn't go as well as planned, but the turkey still turned out good I think.. I should have slathered it with butter under the skin like I did last time.. This time I just basted it with melted butter late in the smoke.. The skin didn't turn out as crispy..

Thanks for the tips Sir. I never really knew what brining was until you mentioned it. I then researched it and decided to give it a try. WOW... what a difference it makes. The only thing I forgot was to add brown sugar to the brine water. Other than that, the turkey turned out great. The wife and kids even gave their thumbs up on it! I will definitely be doing this again. I already have plans to brine pork steaks for our next "regular" BBQ.

I got a big hankerin for trying those pork steaks...let me know how it turns out...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom