Battlestar Galactica Discussions (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Loved the new BSG.. The show doesn't have much rewatchability for me. Except maybe the rescue from New Caprica.. Because I know all the surprise moments ahead of time. I liked the ending of the series, but so much goes unanswered it seems.

i don 't think "plot" (surprise elements and the like) is really the strong element of BSG
small arcs (what's going to happen with Gatea, what happens when Helo finds out, the in and out relationship of the Adamas and Lee & Starbuck)
ALL the political intrigue
ALL the psychological intrigue (what does it mean to be sane? human? spiritual?)
etc etc

being chased by cylons, will they find new caprica, will the mutiny work???
those are just excuses to get to some really profound stuff

Just finished the series, took about a month. Damn I enjoyed that. Was Caprica anywhere near as good?

Just finished the series, took about a month. Damn I enjoyed that. Was Caprica anywhere near as good?

No, not nearly. Since it's so short I'd say watch it if you're a completist, but you're not missing out on much if you skip it. It's not horrible, but it's substantially "smaller" in terms of scope, character, and plot than BSG. The characters and performances aren't as good. It doesn't really know what to do with itself or know what story it wants to tell in the early episodes, and never really has time to recover. It's substantially less engaging. But at 19 episodes, it's not that much of an investment.

Caprica seemed like it could have been good. In the end if felt like it got rushed to tie up the story before it got canceled.

Definitely yes, but a totally different story. Several people mentioned it in the favorite one-season series thread.

Looks like I'll skip Caprica.

Missing out big time IMO. If you look beyond the surface it's 10 times darker than the BSG series.

Caprica was never given the chance. It was slow and lacked the action sequences of BG-1, but was a worthy addition to the SciFi genre. It was killed before it ever really got the chance.

After SGU, it's the best SciFi series that wasn't given the opportunity it deserved...

It had potential but never reached it.

just have to like that serialized television. Deadwood, BSG, Stargate-Universe, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom