Best remaining Offensive Tackles Free agents, 2024 (2 Viewers)

San Fran gotta have a developmental tackle Kubiak is familiar with! Makes you really wonder why we didn't push harder to keep Peat.

San Fran gotta have a developmental tackle Kubiak is familiar with! Makes you really wonder why we didn't push harder to keep Peat.
Doesn't look like it. Here is their current roster of tackles according to their depth chart:

1723726780556.png

The most likely to be released is Alarcon, he is a 2020 UDFA that has been a practice squad guy for the Cowboys until being signed by the 49ers this year. Everyone else probably stays, especially if Trent Williams stays on the reserve list for not reporting.

The 49ers did recently sign former Saint Lewis Kidd, I'm assuming he also would be released when the season starts. Both he and Alarcon wouldn't be considered guys that have been developed in the Shanahan system.

Since I was already looking, here are the tackles on the depth chart for the Dolphins:

1723727356030.png

Matos was a UDFA this year, Hayes was a 7th round pick last year. I doubt either is ready for being thrown in as a starter or even a backup.

Itā€™s really sad to realize how bad the Saints are on the Oline.

We were spoiled for a decade and an half to enjoying a very stout Oline, year after year.

Now we have major holes at LG and RT, and backup OL players across the board arenā€™t starting caliber either.

Welcome to the most ordinary of times. Saint QBā€™s will be running for their lives in 2024.

Since I was already looking, here are the tackles on the depth chart for the Dolphins:

1723727356030.png

Matos was a UDFA this year, Hayes was a 7th round pick last year. I doubt either is ready for being thrown in as a starter or even a backup.
That Armstead guy might have something left in the tank!

While I think they should have kept Peat as depth at LT and LG, if they were dead set on Fuaga at LT, Peat doesn't really help the RT problem. Peat simply can not play on the right side for whatever reason.

Penning can't possibly be better than his backups. There's no way anybody that isn't a 1st rounder is still in the League after 2 years of Penning level performance.
Landon Young has been on the team 3 years was a 6th round pick by the Saints and watching the tape where Penning is awful Landon Young on the same plays (RG) next to Penning) doesnt really look any better - even to my untrained eyes looks even worse.

Im guessing the issues is there arent many planet sized people, much less with grit and motivation and even less with the talent and discipline to do what is not natural in order to be technically sound.

While I think they should have kept Peat as depth at LT and LG, if they were dead set on Fuaga at LT, Peat doesn't really help the RT problem. Peat simply can not play on the right side for whatever reason.
Going into the season with openings at both LT and LG, having a backup with recent experience that we could plug into both would be pretty valuable regardless. Our two veteran signings have 177 snaps between them in the last two years (0 for Davis, 177 for Udoh). Peat played 1,382 snaps over the same time period, with a rough even split between LT and LG.

Landon Young has been on the team 3 years was a 6th round pick by the Saints and watching the tape where Penning is awful Landon Young on the same plays (RG) next to Penning) doesnt really look any better - even to my untrained eyes looks even worse.

Im guessing the issues is there arent many planet sized people, much less with grit and motivation and even less with the talent and discipline to do what is not natural in order to be technically sound.

The concern I have about RT is that if DA, or Kubiak for that matter, thought any of the guys we have would be an upgrade over Penning, then they would have made the move already. The fact that they didn't tells me that they at least think that Penning is the best RT they have.

I'd like to see them give Udoh a shot at RT, but I fear that they are right that Udoh would be no better than Penning. I think the answer, to the extent there is one, will have to come from free agency or a trade with another team.

Going into the season with openings at both LT and LG, having a backup with recent experience that we could plug into both would be pretty valuable regardless. Our two veteran signings have 177 snaps between them in the last two years (0 for Davis, 177 for Udoh). Peat played 1,382 snaps over the same time period, with a rough even split between LT and LG.

I totally agree having Peat to backup LT and backup/start at LG would have been the right thing to do. I'm just saying that if they are set on Fuaga at LT having Peat doesn't help the RT problem. If they were dead set on Fuaga at LT then they should have singed a more experienced/more sure thing veteran at RT to compete with Penning for the job. I really don't get why they essentially handed the RT job to Penning.

Personally, I would have signed Peat or someone else to start at LT and given Penning a chance to try to beat him/them out while keeping Fuaga as the starter at RT. But, I'm just a fan so I could be totally wrong.

I totally agree having Peat to backup LT and backup/start at LG would have been the right thing to do. I'm just saying that if they are set on Fuaga at LT having Peat doesn't help the RT problem. If they were dead set on Fuaga at LT then they should have singed a more experienced/more sure thing veteran at RT to compete with Penning for the job. I really don't get why they essentially handed the RT job to Penning.

Personally, I would have signed Peat or someone else to start at LT and given Penning a chance to try to beat him/them out while keeping Fuaga as the starter at RT. But, I'm just a fan so I could be totally wrong.
Agree that Penning should not have been penciled in as a potential starter anywhere on the line. Looks like we fell for the sunk cost fallacy on this one. What we already had invested at the position shouldn't have mattered.

1723727356030.png

What website is this from, and is it a free or paid/subscription site?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom