Better QB Eli or Big Ben? (1 Viewer)

Pointless question on a Saints board. He is a Manning, so Saints fans will always love him.

If I had to choose one for my team...I think I'd go with Ben. Bigger, stronger, faster. Probably a little more leadership qualities. More big plays, especially out of the pocket. I'd give the edge to Eli when looking at performing under pressure based on his most recent work...BUT...I think Ben has the physical tools to be the better player, plus I think Ben is probably a little stronger in the IQ department. Something about Eli, can't put my finger on it...somthing around the eyes...kinda reminds me of...Aaron Brooks. I don't trust that Eli will sustain his high level of play for the future.

They have both come to the NFL and done what you're meant to do, win a SB. If this is judging this on what they have suceeded, they are both equal and both are better than Brees, not statisticly.

The part where you lost your mind and said Eli didn't play well in the Superbowl. I mean he's no Rex Grossman I admit, but still :shrug:

Eli did ok in the Superbowl, but not well enough for the MVP IMO. Eli deserves credit for managing the game and not losing for the defense. However, to say Eli Manning won this game for the Giants is pure nonsense.

Eli and Brady had very similar stats in this game. Both less than great. Eli's receivers actually made a lot of great catches and Eli escaped a few passes that should have been intercepted. The breaks rolled his way this time which is great but lets not confuse who won this game.

The Giants D won this game, not Eli Manning. A defensive player should have received the MVP. Eli Manning was awarded the MVP because he is a Manning. I don't really expect many of you acknowledge the truth about Eli. Clearly, many Saints fans are Manning homers.

They have both come to the NFL and done what you're meant to do, win a SB. If this is judging this on what they have suceeded, they are both equal and both are better than Brees, not statisticly.

If you want to define QB's by SB rings alone I suppose you would be right but that isn't what makes a QB good. If Ben, Eli, Drew were standing in a line for me to pick I would pick in the following order. Drew, Ben, Eli.

Eli must be better than Dan Marino as well?

Eli did ok in the Superbowl, but not well enough for the MVP IMO. Eli deserves credit for managing the game and not losing for the defense. However, to say Eli Manning won this game for the Giants is pure nonsense.

Eli and Brady had very similar stats in this game. Both less than great. Eli's receivers actually made a lot of great catches and Eli escaped a few passes that should have been intercepted. The breaks rolled his way this time which is great but lets not confuse who won this game.

The Giants D won this game, not Eli Manning. A defensive player should have received the MVP. Eli Manning was awarded the MVP because he is a Manning. I don't really expect many of you acknowledge the truth about Eli. Clearly, many Saints fans are Manning homers.

Yeah! You're right. That 2 minute drive to win the game was ALL defense.:covri:

Even with the receivers making GREAT catches, exactly which passes should have been an INT? The one that went through Samuels hands? That was a bad route. Tyree knew it and so did Eli. What other pass should have been an INT?

While I do agree that Tuck was a serious candidate for MVP, that 2 minute drive solidified that one for Eli.

Pointless question on a Saints board. He is a Manning, so Saints fans will always love him.

Correct, frankly I think this whole post was a bait job...but I'm OK with it.

Eli isn't better than Ben because a handful of anonymous internet posters say so. :ezbill:

I'm an Eli Homer, but Ben's numbers this year were exceptionally strong. They both have a ring. I have to lean towards Ben right now. Hopefully, Eli will rise to his brother's status over the next few years.

Ben, only because Eli turned it around once the post season started. Prior to that, he had a pretty poor regular season, leading the league in interceptions (I believe) with 27, and having a nightmare game in the swirling winds of Giants Stadium against Washington.

If one were to scan the NY newspapers from the regular season, one wouldn't have to go far to find respected columnists calling for the Giants to part ways with Manning. Indeed, during the Chargers 2006 14-2 run, many were saying the Chargers got the better deal in the 2004 draft between Rivers and Manning.

One would never find such articles written about Rothleisberger.

However, Ben had a terrible Super Bowl, unlike Eli -which explains why people have forgotten the struggles Eli has gone through since he was drafted.

Eli had a great run, but let's see if it carries over to 2008 and he becomes a more consistent quarterback than he has.

Right now, I rate Ben as the better QB.

From Day 1 practically, it's been a struggle for Eli in NYC. The press and the fans have ridden him hard. Kinda reminds me of the abuse that Testeverde had in Tampa, but of course NY is a tougher crowd. I'm not saying that Eli didn't deserve a good chunk of that abuse, but even on a bad day, Ben doesn't get nearly as abused locally or nationally.

It's not an excuse to clear Eli of his downside, but it is a factor in all this IMO. Include the recent surge minus two guys that seemed to upstage Eli constantly, I really think Eli has gotten command of his game. I still expect some horrible games from him just like ALL QB's, but I think the worst just might be behind him.

Correct, frankly I think this whole post was a bait job...but I'm OK with it.

Eli isn't better than Ben because a handful of anonymous internet posters say so. :ezbill:

I did not meant it as a bait job at all.

There is a good discussion going on about it, and the posters in the thread seem to be pretty split.

Should I have done a poll?

Anyway, We have differeing view points, and I have enjoyed reading this thread, but I am sorry if you feel it was a bait job.

I wanted more than "stats" to make an arguement for Ben as the better QB.

Eli was Super BOwl MVP,

Anyone who says he did not play well in the super bowl must have watched a different game than I did.

How many Super bowl MVP's does Big ben have?
manning had a 95.7 QB rating over the course of this postseason
Big Ben 79.5

big ben. just imagine what his stats would be like if he threw a lilttle more. he may be able to challenge 50 tds. eli has had about 4 or 5 good games his whole career.

I did not meant it as a bait job at all.

There is a good discussion going on about it, and the posters in the thread seem to be pretty split.

Should I have done a poll?

Anyway, We have differeing view points, and I have enjoyed reading this thread, but I am sorry if you feel it was a bait job.

I wanted more than "stats" to make an arguement for Ben as the better QB.

Eli was Super BOwl MVP,

Anyone who says he did not play well in the super bowl must have watched a different game than I did.

How many Super bowl MVP's does Big ben have?
manning had a 95.7 QB rating over the course of this postseason
Big Ben 79.5

That may well be the defining post of this thread. A GREAT quarterback isn't judged on what he does in the regular season, but how he performs when the pressure is on in the postseason. As the poster above shows, Eli clearly has played better in the postseason.

And for the poster that said Eli didn't play well in the Superbowl. You are deluding yourself. Everyone that watched the game disagrees with you on that. That's why Eli was MVP. The escape play, the clutch throws down the stretch and the fact that if one receiver hadn't popped the ball up on a catchable pass, Eli would have finished a Superbowl run with NO INTERCEPTIONS in the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom