Bowden had more snaps than Shaheed. Any scouts can share their thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
In the Colt game, Bowden has 24 snap vs Shaheed 18. Curious why he's used more than Shaheed.

I see in the highlights, number 5 is in the picture often, either throwing that key block or drawing a defender away.

I'm curious if he could become Taysom Hill lite. He was drafted by the Raider as RB / WR and he was a QB in college. Now, his role seems to be decoy or blocker. Could it be expanded?

In the Colt game, Bowden has 24 snap vs Shaheed 18. Curious why he's used more than Shaheed.

I see in the highlights, number 5 is in the picture often, either throwing that key block or drawing a defender away.

I'm curious if he could become Taysom Hill lite. He was drafted by the Raider as RB / WR and he was a QB in college. Now, his role seems to be decoy or blocker. Could it be expanded?
That's legitimately crazy.

There's no way his blocking is THAT good.

I’d want to know when those plays were. The last drive we were running the clock down. 9 plays and only 1 pass. Something like that could tip the balance if he’s in there for those running plays.

One day the staff will realize that Shaheed should be an almost every down, featured player…a weekly focal point, used all over the field, even out of the backfield.

Maybe he is still figuring things out assignment wise though.

One day the staff will realize that Shaheed should be an almost every down, featured player…a weekly focal point, used all over the field, even out of the backfield.

Maybe he is still figuring things out assignment wise though.
Sometimes less is better this aint madden you cant send a guy down a field 50 yards each play 30 plays a game without wearing down his legs. Sometimes its better to let him be fresh and bring him in when the def is fatigue also if you start forcing him the ball you going see that blanket coverage safety over top corner underneath. I actually wont be suprise if it begins in a couple of weeks and his prod slows down.

Sometimes less is better this aint madden you cant send a guy down a field 50 yards each play 30 plays a game without wearing down his legs. Sometimes its better to let him be fresh and bring him in when the def is fatigue also if you start forcing him the ball you going see that blanket coverage safety over top corner underneath. I actually wont be suprise if it begins in a couple of weeks and his prod slows down.

No one said anything about sending him down the field 50 yards every play 30 times a game. And yes, I know this isn’t Madden. Thanks for the insightful post though. 🙄

Someone quick, go let Mike McDaniel know he can’t feature a super talented WR in his offense because his legs will wear down!

I don't think we have room for Bowden to become Taysom Hill lite any time soon, but it's the first game where he had more snaps than Shaheed.

1698927241169.png

My guess is that it was gameplan driven, in the Colts game we had the lowest usage of 3+ WR that we've had all season (44%), and Shaheed primarily plays in 3+ WR sets (86% of the time).

That's legitimately crazy.

There's no way his blocking is THAT good.
FWIW, we average 4.3 yds/att when Bowden is on the field and 3.6 yds/att when he isn't. It's driven by us having more explosive runs (10+ yards) when he is on the field (14% of runs when he is on VS 7% of runs when he is off).

We also average 8.3 yds/DB when he is on VS 6.1 yds/DB when he is off, and that's with only 3/23 pass attempts going for 10+ air yards. We average 6.1 YAC/att when he is on the field, which is going to be driven by good blocking and/or clear-outs.

While the difference can't be 100% attributed to his blocking, we have been a more productive offense when he is on the field (so far), which goes against the narrative that defenses are keying on and stopping the run when he is out there.

I’d want to know when those plays were. The last drive we were running the clock down. 9 plays and only 1 pass. Something like that could tip the balance if he’s in there for those running plays.
Pretty even throughout the game.

1698928117903.png

My only issue with it is that when Bowden checks in it's certainly a rub.

One of the Payton holdovers where we go out of our way to tip plays with personnel groupings
Against the Colts, we ran 67% of the time when he was on the field, yet still averaged 5.4 yds/carry with a 63% success rate.

We tipped our hand even more with Shaheed, passing 89% of the time when he was on the field, but still had 13.6 yds/DB with a 56% success rate.

Shaheed is not a complete WR yet. It's nothing personal against him.

I get the Tyreek Hill comparisons, but he's far more advanced in his route tree and technique.

That's fair, but if you have a great player, there are many ways to get him the football that don't involve the full route tree.

Shaheed's very first touch in the NFL came off of a jet sweep, which he took to the house. How many times have we seen that play since?

Puka Nucua is nowhere near Tyreke's level either in terms of the route tree, but the Rams go out of their way to find ways to get him the football so that he can do what he does.

One of the holdover aspects of the SP era that I'd really like to see us get away from is the insistence that we absolutely MUST spread the ball around, even when it is obvious that someone has a hot hand. We have seen many times now where a guy gets a hot hand, and it's like we go out of our way to get the ball out of his hand. We'll see a player single-handedly move us down the field and end the drive with a score, and then we won't see that player again the rest of the game.

It’s honestly as if people have been watching “Sean Payton ball” for so long, that the idea of featuring a player is now a bizarre, foreign concept.

No one said anything about sending him down the field 50 yards every play 30 times a game. And yes, I know this isn’t Madden. Thanks for the insightful post though. 🙄

Someone quick, go let Mike McDaniel know he can’t feature a super talented WR in his offense because his legs will wear down!
He is a speedster he doesnt get open from his separation because of his route running. All his big plays have been from running straight or a double move. and then run straight. What other routes has he done or what makes him super talented. and he also did an end around last year. You acting like im tripping because I assume you wanted him to run go routes all game

My only issue with it is that when Bowden checks in it's certainly a rub.
Hopefully we keep doing that against the Bears and Vikings, to create a well-known tendency, and then pull a switcheroo when we need it (Falcons or Lions).

He is a speedster he doesnt get open from his separation because of his route running. All his big plays have been from running straight or a double move. and then run straight. What other routes has he done or what makes him super talented. and he also did an end around last year. You acting like im tripping because I assume you wanted him to run go routes all game

What gave you this assumption that I want him to run go routes all game? Was it the part that I said “use him all over the field,” or the part where I said to use him “even out of the backfield?”

Like I said, the idea of finding a way to force feed the ball to great athletes is a foreign concept to Saints fans these days. Too much “Sean Payton ball” in our brains.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom