[Bumped to discuss resulting legal actions] Elementary school shooting in Connecticut. (Edit/Update - 26 reported killed, many of them children) (3 Viewers)

We don’t have debtors prison anymore - it was really bad.
While true legally, it's still happening in some isolated areas. I worked for a non-profit law firm in DC that dealt with those type of cases. Pretty fascinating, and sheet that would make your blood boil.

but isn't it illegal to falsify bookkeeping in order to shift money to others in an attempt to keep it from the judgment? I have no doubt simple investigations would expose such things..

Perhaps there’s criminal activity there - and if there’s charges, go for it. I’m just saying the two are separate.

Kanye was on Alex Jones' show promoting anti-semitism, actually saying "I like Hitler". He does know that Hitler doesn't like him, right?

Kanye was on Alex Jones' show promoting anti-semitism, actually saying "I like Hitler". He does know that Hitler doesn't like him, right?
Alex Jones didn't even squirm like that when he was on trail. Kanye made Alex Jones uncomfortable. I thought I'd never see the day.

Alex Jones didn't even squirm like that when he was on trail. Kanye made Alex Jones uncomfortable. I thought I'd never see the day.

Indeed - and if your social/moral position is "makes Alex Jones uncomfortable" you're way the eff out there.

As to the bankruptcy, some points to observe. This is now Alex Jones's personal bankruptcy (as his companies Free Speech Systems and Infowars have already filed). More importantly is the question of dischargeability. The way it works is that the federal bankruptcy judge has to look at how the state tort judgments are ruled to apply them to criteria in the federal bankruptcy code. In many instances, "intentional torts" are not discharged through bankruptcy. Defamation is an intentional tort.

Dec 7 (Reuters) - Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Wednesday said he has less than $12 million of the $1.5 billion he owes the families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims, but they immediately questioned the accuracy of his statements.

In the first hearing of Jones' bankruptcy in a Houston court, his attorney Vickie Driver said Jones wanted to settle with the Sandy Hook families. They won $1.5 billion in defamation trials over Jones' lies about the 2012 school shooting.

Jones said in a court filing that it would be "functionally impossible" for him to pay the defamation verdicts in full............

Dec 7 (Reuters) - Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Wednesday said he has less than $12 million of the $1.5 billion he owes the families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims, but they immediately questioned the accuracy of his statements.

In the first hearing of Jones' bankruptcy in a Houston court, his attorney Vickie Driver said Jones wanted to settle with the Sandy Hook families. They won $1.5 billion in defamation trials over Jones' lies about the 2012 school shooting.

Jones said in a court filing that it would be "functionally impossible" for him to pay the defamation verdicts in full............

He’s hoping to reach a settlement that will discharge the debt, allow him to proceed through bankruptcy and then start over with the same sheet.

I’m not gonna tell anyone they shouldn’t accept money - it’s unfortunately a reality of our world. But if they truly want to keep him down, they can refuse to settle and don’t let him crawl back out. Or slither.

Sounds like he needs to work harder and longer.

He’s hoping to reach a settlement that will discharge the debt, allow him to proceed through bankruptcy and then start over with the same sheet.

I’m not gonna tell anyone they shouldn’t accept money - it’s unfortunately a reality of our world. But if they truly want to keep him down, they can refuse to settle and don’t let him crawl back out. Or slither.
Well he should still pay through the nose, but how about a "reduced" settlement for agreeing to go off the air/internet for good? No blogging, vlogging, shows, guest appearances, recorded speaking engagements, etc.

Hamer v. Sidway established that you could contract away a legal right in exchange for consideration.

There would have to be stipulations for his breaking of the agreement of course... like immediate forfeiture of certain properties and having to pay the original amount in full.

Alex Jones' media company has proposed a plan in its bankruptcy case to pay the conspiracy theorist $520,000 a year while leaving $7 million to $10 million annually to pay off creditors

Infowars host Alex Jones cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying the families of the victims of the Sandy Hookschool shooting, a judge has ruled.

Mr Jones was sued by the families of the 26 people killed in the 2012 massacre over his repeated promotion of a false theory that the shooting was a hoax.

A judge ordered Mr Jones to pay $1.5bn to the families, but the conspiracy theorist has so far failed to pay out any of the sum after he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year.

However, a Texas judge ruled on Thursday that bankruptcy protections do not apply over findings of “willful and malicious” conduct, so Mr Jones must pay the families.

“The families are pleased with the Court’s ruling that Jones’s malicious conduct will find no safe harbor in the bankruptcy court,” said Christopher Mattei, a Connecticut lawyer for the families. “As a result, Jones will continue to be accountable for his actions into the future regardless of his claimed bankruptcy.”…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom