Buying a new car/truck. (1 Viewer)

Welp, I didn't really want to be in the market for a vehicle, what with the insane prices of cars these days. We had a 2013 Grand Caravan with 100k miles on it and one of my kids got in an accident and totaled the car. Settled for right around $10k. But now I can't really buy anything comparable for close to that amount without financing a chunk. For the last 20 years, I've paid cash for my vehicles. I just bought a house earlier this year and now I don't have the cash to buy outright. I'm kinda stumped on what to do.

We want an SUV because we tend to go places as a family and plan to travel a few times a year. I like the 7 passenger SUVs, but I don't want a Suburban. I really like the Palisade and Telluride, but you can't find any used ones for less than $30k, much less $20k.

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I might buy something older without a warranty just to tide us over for a year or 2 then buy, but no telling where things will be then.

Meh.

go to kia websire- plop in zip and "build" and then hit view inventory to see whats around you.

base starts at like $32,000 decent interior/extras aroud $35

the tempting lease deals being offered right now have a draw back as well. While 12,000 per year used to be a normal mileage allowance, most of what is being offered now is 10,000 per year. I may have to consider buying extra mileage up front. That part is really too much like gambling.

go to kia websire- plop in zip and "build" and then hit view inventory to see whats around you.

base starts at like $32,000 decent interior/extras aroud $35
inventory availability is the biggest obstacle of course. There are a bunch of all wheel drives in New Orleans from what I see. I can only guess that they are just taking what they can get because I can't imagine those would typically be big sellers here.

inventory availability is the biggest obstacle of course. There are a bunch of all wheel drives in New Orleans from what I see. I can only guess that they are just taking what they can get because I can't imagine those would typically be big sellers here.
Just a suggestion that may not pan out - if you just want a FWD, maybe see what the inventory is in some of the northern(er) states? I can tell you AWD are the most popular around here in MD, especially around this time of year, so you might be able to find some more inventory and pretty decent deal.

You could always get a one-way ticket on Southwest pretty inexpensively (a non-stop flight is 3 hours), and drive back - it's about 18 hours. Still, you might be able to save a little cash and get the car you want.

Be sure to check LA's registration for cars purchased out of state, especially regarding taxes, to see if it's even worth it.

Just a suggestion that may not pan out - if you just want a FWD, maybe see what the inventory is in some of the northern(er) states? I can tell you AWD are the most popular around here in MD, especially around this time of year, so you might be able to find some more inventory and pretty decent deal.

You could always get a one-way ticket on Southwest pretty inexpensively (a non-stop flight is 3 hours), and drive back - it's about 18 hours. Still, you might be able to save a little cash and get the car you want.

Be sure to check LA's registration for cars purchased out of state, especially regarding taxes, to see if it's even worth it.
yea, I will definitely put in some zip codes and check that out. As it happens, when I emailed my step mothers attorney telling her I had lost interest, she gave me some days. I may have to wait until next week if I can't take off this week, but it appears to be moving again.

Car Max?

finally going to be able to go get my fathers truck out of his estate. The vehicle is 4 hours away and I will have to drive it back tomorrow. It hasn't been driven much since he passed in Feb 2020. I wonder what things I should look for possible issues for one sitting that long. Other than battery obviously.

finally going to be able to go get my fathers truck out of his estate. The vehicle is 4 hours away and I will have to drive it back tomorrow. It hasn't been driven much since he passed in Feb 2020. I wonder what things I should look for possible issues for one sitting that long. Other than battery obviously.
Tires - cracking in the rubber and air pressure, especially if it hasn't moved since then.

Gas might be old, too. I'm not sure exactly how you handle that if there's a lot of fuel in the tank and it's been sitting for almost two years. The lower the amount in the tank is the better situation for you here. Use fresh gas if you can.

Mariah Carey CDs in the stereo?

Obviously, check all fluids and tire pressures. Also, confirm that the registration is current if you haven’t yet transferred the title (assuming it is paid for).

Tires - cracking in the rubber and air pressure, especially if it hasn't moved since then.

Gas might be old, too. I'm not sure exactly how you handle that if there's a lot of fuel in the tank and it's been sitting for almost two years. The lower the amount in the tank is the better situation for you here. Use fresh gas if you can.
All great advice. Thanks.

Mariah Carey CDs in the stereo?

Obviously, check all fluids and tire pressures. Also, confirm that the registration is current if you haven’t yet transferred the title (assuming it is paid for).
It is paid for and I’ve paid for it through my attorneys escrow. A title company up there told me I could walk out with a hard plate tomorrow if I have his death certificate, heirship forms and the title. I have DC, sister signed the heirship form leaving just my step monster and me to sign and have notarized which we should be able to do at the title co. Im hoping it goes smooth because it’s about 9 hours round trip even without the titling and checking the vehicle in the middle.

got the truck safely back to NOLA! Couldn't get it titled yesterday because we couldn't use a bill of sale because we are trying to settle the estate without appointing an admin. So, we are doing it with act of donation which really works in my favor. I am going to use the money I stashed for Tax on tires and battery.

On CR rated truck tires, a company called General Grabber actually has the second highest rating. I have never heard of them but I can get 4 of the model they rated from Sams for about 600. Anyone familiar with the tire? Otherwise I can get Michelon Defenders for around 8 or 9.

On CR rated truck tires, a company called General Grabber actually has the second highest rating. I have never heard of them but I can get 4 of the model they rated from Sams for about 600. Anyone familiar with the tire? Otherwise I can get Michelon Defenders for around 8 or 9.

I bought some Michelin Defenders last year for my Jeep, so very worth it since you dont want to skimp on anything between you and the ground (tires, mattresses or shoes).. i feel much safer and more secure riding around with the Michelins than if I’d gone with the el cheapo tires i almost got… Best advice i can give is to join Costco if you’re not already a member, they have by far the best deals on tires (i think they mostly , or only, sell Michelins) and more than pays for the $60 Costco membership… that said, i found the tires i wanted on costco .com, screenshotted them and went to Discount Tire (not sure what the NOLA equivalent would be, whatever chain tire store they have) since I’d dealt with them before.. i showed them the screenshot of the Michelin Defenders and they honored the Costco price, i think it was around $500 out the door inc labor, for all four tires.. maybe a little more, it’s been about a year ago now so i cant remember the exact price, but def lower than what you mentioned above.

I bought some Michelin Defenders last year for my Jeep, so very worth it since you dont want to skimp on anything between you and the ground (tires, mattresses or shoes).. i feel much safer and more secure riding around with the Michelins than if I’d gone with the el cheapo tires i almost got… Best advice i can give is to join Costco if you’re not already a member, they have by far the best deals on tires (i think they mostly , or only, sell Michelins) and more than pays for the $60 Costco membership… that said, i found the tires i wanted on costco .com, screenshotted them and went to Discount Tire (not sure what the NOLA equivalent would be, whatever chain tire store they have) since I’d dealt with them before.. i showed them the screenshot of the Michelin Defenders and they honored the Costco price, i think it was around $500 out the door inc labor, for all four tires.. maybe a little more, it’s been about a year ago now so i cant remember the exact price, but def lower than what you mentioned above.
intersting. I will get my sister to check them at costco. The only reason I was thinking Sams is because its so convenient for me to bring them for balance and rotation.

and I agree completely on the importance of tires. But CR likes them so I didn't want to just assume they are shirt because I haven't heard of them. I don't spend much time in tire world.

intersting. I will get my sister to check them at costco. The only reason I was thinking Sams is because its so convenient for me to bring them for balance and rotation.

and I agree completely on the importance of tires. But CR likes them so I didn't want to just assume they are shirt because I haven't heard of them. I don't spend much time in tire world.

I haven’t really been following the thread so didnt realize you’d mentioned Sams.. im just a way bigger fan of Costco in general than Sams, but if they have Michelins too then that could work.. although i think one of the reason i went to Discount Tire last year at this time is that both Costco and Sams are shirt shows with all the Christmas consumerists out in full force.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom