Chase Young had a neck procedure on 3/21 & will be ready for season; Played through neck stinger all 2023; Saints are comfortable with it (2 Viewers)

Thanks, pretty good deal then.
I meant to comment on the second part of your post also. It may help to explain the alleged guarantee that we gave Chase Young.

I went and looked back at Michael Thomas' deal, and we gave him a per game roster bonus in 2024 for games played in 2023. That roster bonus was described as guaranteed, and my guess is that the reasoning behind it is that Thomas will still collect that $2.2m roster bonus this year even though he is no longer on the roster.

If we apply the same structure to Chase Young's deal, and assumed four void years, his cap hit would be $3.52m in 2024 ($2.7m base + $450k workout bonus + $370k signing bonus proration), and then his cap hit would vary between $1.49m and $9.48m in 2025 depending on how many games he plays in 2024 (and depending on an extension, if any).

I meant to comment on the second part of your post also. It may help to explain the alleged guarantee that we gave Chase Young.

I went and looked back at Michael Thomas' deal, and we gave him a per game roster bonus in 2024 for games played in 2023. That roster bonus was described as guaranteed, and my guess is that the reasoning behind it is that Thomas will still collect that $2.2m roster bonus this year even though he is no longer on the roster.

If we apply the same structure to Chase Young's deal, and assumed four void years, his cap hit would be $3.52m in 2024 ($2.7m base + $450k workout bonus + $370k signing bonus proration), and then his cap hit would vary between $1.49m and $9.48m in 2025 depending on how many games he plays in 2024 (and depending on an extension, if any).
Appreciate the explanation. Good stuff to know.

Chase isn't exactly a sleeper though. He's had a couple of injuries that have slowed him down. His talent and ceiling is undeniable. People have also questioned his motor and focus. It's definitely a concern. If he plays like he did his rookie season, he'll be a top 10 edge rusher. He's got the best potential of anyone available right now. It's a very low risk deal that could pay big dividends if it works out.

There are no sure things in football. Stuff happens. Guy is still only 24. He hasn't come close to hitting his prime yet.

I do agree we've been snakebit with getting free agents with injuries. And I totally understand why it feels like this is one of those "here we go again" but this isn't like those other situations.
I didn't mean Chase was a sleeper; I was talking about the Dav, Turner, and Penning experiments. Obviously, a top 5 pick is not a sleeper. There are legitimate questions about his performance from both Washington and Niner fans but I'm not sure how much an injury had to with it. It still sounds like a gamble considering our history with lineman injuries from anyone not named Cam.

I didn't mean Chase was a sleeper; I was talking about the Dav, Turner, and Penning experiments. Obviously, a top 5 pick is not a sleeper. There are legitimate questions about his performance from both Washington and Niner fans but I'm not sure how much an injury had to with it. It still sounds like a gamble considering our history with lineman injuries from anyone not named Cam.
Well, considering how the Saints structured the contract, it's a pretty reasonable risk.

I don't feel like reading 13 pages of posts so if somebody already said this, I apologize. How is this different than MT not getting surgery immediately after the season? Why would he wait until April to get the neck fixed?

Why would he wait until April to get the neck fixed?
For one, most docs don't rush into elective surgery- which this is. There are various requirements for the doc to try and treat conservatively for some time before surgery is an available option.

Second, it's best to get multiple opinions before deciding on who should perform the surgery. You wouldn't want to roll with the first guy you speak with when it come to this type of surgery (neck/nerves, possible long-term complications).

Who has Twitter and can post those Albert Breer tweets about Young's narrow choices and situation? Highlighted in the video above.

I don't feel like reading 13 pages of posts so if somebody already said this, I apologize. How is this different than MT not getting surgery immediately after the season? Why would he wait until April to get the neck fixed?
Because they're completely different injuries? Chase played through the injury last season. MT missed 2+ seasons. And Chase and his agent probably wanted to talk with the team he's going to in order to make sure that's a part of their negotiations. Would be pointless to sign a contract and fail the physical fron the start.

There are various requirements for the doc to try and treat conservatively for some time before surgery is an available option.
I never played football outside of the playground, but I did have a nerve issue once when my elbow got stepped on in a pile and it fixed itself over time with rest, nerves are sometimes like that, sometimes not...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom