China/Taiwan fight. (2 Viewers)

I mean, a whole envoy of Congresspersons, led by female Senator Tammy Duckworth, went to Taiwan like three months ago and nobody gave a sheet.

Are they seriously that bent that Nancy Pelosi went?

Would you not agree that the world order is just a tad different than 3 months ago along with who it was that went. It was irresponsible although I fully expect no one here to see that

I'm late to this thread,but do have some info. My wife and her sister are from Taiwan. They told me the U.S is
supplying them with the latest weaponry. If mainland china goes to war they will suffer many casualties. It's all
saber rattling

Alright it was just a drill. Way to show your muscles. Go back to your corners now.

I think if China does pull a Russia, we will jump into that fight. If you allow China to take Taiwan and play mob gangsta politics with all that chip manufacturing that exists there, the world is in big trouble,. We're already in a bonafide shirtshow with a chip shortage, imagine greedy China extorting the entire world? Pretty much all the chip fabs are in Taiwan, this is why it was paramount to start building chip fabs in the USA long ago, the Intel chip fab being built in Arizona won't come online anytime soon. It is inevitable at some point China is gonna get brave and attempt to take Taiwan.

I think if China does pull a Russia, we will jump into that fight. If you allow China to take Taiwan and play mob gangsta politics with all that chip manufacturing that exists there, the world is in big trouble,. We're already in a bonafide shirtshow with a chip shortage, imagine greedy China extorting the entire world? Pretty much all the chip fabs are in Taiwan, this is why it was paramount to start building chip fabs in the USA long ago, the Intel chip fab being built in Arizona won't come online anytime soon. It is inevitable at some point China is gonna get brave and attempt to take Taiwan.
The US is stepping up its silicon chip production game. Texas Instruments will spend 30bl on manufacturing factories in Sherman Tx. They also have a factory nearing completion or recently completed in Richardson Tx. Samsung is investing 17bl on a new factory in Taylor Tx. Most of these won’t start production until 2nd half of 24 or sometime in 25. But the point is, we will have more domestic production in the next 2-3 years.

I have little love for the Chinese Communist Party (which is in no way Communist and would better be described as a business oligarchy) and am happy to condemn its dismal human rights record and its moral and political bankruptcy. However, it is completely ludicrous to pretend that China does not have a case for sovereignty over one of its own provinces. Taiwan is not after all an independent nation - it is essentially a breakaway province. Even the KMT who founded Taiwan in its modern state have never argued against this.

So does China have the right to rule its own province even if that province wants to break away? Well I imagine the US might want to have a say in Alaskan politics if it broke away from the republic.

What does amaze me is that other countries which do not have any territorial claims to Taiwan or China and which are geographically and culturally far removed from this region and dispute think they have the right to intervene militarily and provoke a major international war.

Now you can say 'we are the world's policeman' but that has no legal basis in international law. Who appointed you? Who are you answerable to? And on whose behalf do you govern?

And yes you can make a case on moral grounds that a democratic government has more moral validity than an unelected, unaccountable dictatorship but then you have to take a good look at the massive human rights abuses committed by the Nationalist Chinese in WW2, their collusion with Japanese forces guilty of massacres and ethnic cleansing all over China, and their military finances which were almost entirely driven in the early days by the illegal presence of their Narco army in the golden triangle (inside Burma and Thailand).

So it's hard to champion intervention from a moral position, international law, historical prerogative, or even geographical proximity. Leaving aside the 'ally' argument and whether a breakaway province can legally have an ally in international law (possibility) it comes down to the rather obvious factor that the US is not happy that its strategic and business influence in the Far East and its massive intelligence gathering operations in Taiwan are under threat. But if we are going to fight a war on those grounds against a country which wants to take control of its own province....just who is the invader?

This dispute has not blown up into a major war since 1945 so there is no reason to believe that calm heads will not prevail and the dispute will fizzle out.

Sorry, I will no doubt get flamed for this but these things are important to point out in a free society.

Last edited:
I have little love for the Chinese Communist Party (which is in no way Communist and would better be described as a business oligarchy) and am happy to condemn its dismal human rights record and its moral and political bankruptcy. However, it is completely ludicrous to pretend that China does not have a case for sovereignty over one of its own provinces. Taiwan is not after all an independent nation - it is essentially a breakaway province. Even the KMT who founded Taiwan in its modern state have never argued against this.

So does China have the right to rule its own province even if that province wants to break away? Well I imagine the US might want to have a say in Alaskan politics if it broke away from the republic.

What does amaze me is that other countries which do not have any territorial claims to Taiwan or China and which are geographically and culturally far removed from this region and dispute think they have the right to intervene militarily and provoke a major international war.

Now you can say 'we are the world's policeman' but that has no legal basis in international law. Who appointed you? Who are you answerable to? And on whose behalf do you govern?

And yes you can make a case on moral grounds that a democratic government has more moral validity than an unelected, unaccountable dictatorship but then you have to take a good look at the massive human rights abuses committed by the Nationalist Chinese in WW2, their collusion with Japanese forces guilty of massacres and ethnic cleansing all over China, and their ongoing military finances which were almost entirely driven in the early days by the illegal presence of their Narco army in the golden triangle (inside Burma and Thailand).

So it's hard to champion intervention from a moral position, international law, historical prerogative, or even geographical proximity. Leaving aside the 'ally' argument and whether a breakaway province can legally have an ally in international law (possibility) it comes down to the rather obvious factor that the US is not happy that it's strategic and business influence in the Far East and its massive intelligence gathering operations in Taiwan are under threat. But if we are going to fight a war on those grounds against a country which wants to take control of its own promise....just who is the invader?

Sorry, I will no doubt get flamed for this but these things are important to point out in a free society.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom