Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thoughts needed - I ordered my comics as usual from my online store in Dallas. It shipped out Thursday and I got them in just now. I've already sprayed off the outer cardboard packaging and it's just sitting there drying out. Once I open the cardboard, do you think it necessary to lightly wipe down each bagged comic (less than 10) with a clorox wipe or am I just being too paranoid with it?

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Thoughts needed - I ordered my comics as usual from my online store in Dallas. It shipped out Thursday and I got them in just now. I've already sprayed off the outer cardboard packaging and it's just sitting there drying out. Once I open the cardboard, do you think it necessary to lightly wipe down each bagged comic (less than 10) with a clorox wipe or am I just being too paranoid with it?
You order from Lone Star?

Do what you feel is comfortable. But what if the virus is on the book itself... between the pages?

Being careful is one thing, but don't make yourself paranoid over it.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So my senior editor (I do online reviews) has received word from DC that they won't be releasing anything, even digitally for the next several weeks at least. Not good at all that they won't even release digitally.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You order from Lone Star?

Do what you feel is comfortable. But what if the virus is on the book itself... between the pages?

Being careful is one thing, but don't make yourself paranoid over it.
Yep, Lone Star has been my go to for a while now. I guess I'll crack open the box, give a light wipe down of the bag, and then let them sit out a while. Overly cautious? Yeah, probably. It's not like I'm going to get to those actual books that quickly. I've got a sizable backlog of books to read through first.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So my senior editor (I do online reviews) has received word from DC that they won't be releasing anything, even digitally for the next several weeks at least. Not good at all that they won't even release digitally.
I'm not sure I understand that decision. I know I've read info that says that work is still being created and can be done with relative safety. DC really suffering from lack of good leadership.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Yep, Lone Star has been my go to for a while now. I guess I'll crack open the box, give a light wipe down of the bag, and then let them sit out a while. Overly cautious? Yeah, probably. It's not like I'm going to get to those actual books that quickly. I've got a sizable backlog of books to read through first.
Yeah. DCBS is my online go-to shop now. Love their discounts on pre-orders... Up to 50% off of some stuff.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand that decision. I know I've read info that says that work is still being created and can be done with relative safety. DC really suffering from lack of good leadership.
Yeah. Makes me wonder what would be happening if DiDio was still around. Or would this be a decision above his pay grade.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So a clarification from this considering the recent news DC plans to release digitally. Seems my editor was referring to the advanced review copies we get from DC's PR team the Friday before NCBD.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
And this guy just said, "Aw shirt." So much the better.
He looks like a low level mob boss.

I'm interested in what happens to the industry as a result of this. Marvel's adventures in self distributing were a disaster and part of the reason Diamond dominates today, but things have changed in those almost 30 years. I dont know that dumping Diamond fixes things but they've become such an albatross around the industry's neck that changing things up can't hurt.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He looks like a low level mob boss.

I'm interested in what happens to the industry as a result of this. Marvel's adventures in self distributing were a disaster and part of the reason Diamond dominates today, but things have changed in those almost 30 years. I dont know that dumping Diamond fixes things but they've become such an albatross around the industry's neck that changing things up can't hurt.
That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that picture. I'm really hoping that in this day of online retail and computerization that it will be much easier for there to be multiple distributors. Of course, I have no real idea on how all of that works, so I'm basically just spouting off hopes and dreams.

Sun Wukong

The Richest Duck in the World
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that picture. I'm really hoping that in this day of online retail and computerization that it will be much easier for there to be multiple distributors. Of course, I have no real idea on how all of that works, so I'm basically just spouting off hopes and dreams.
Well, the industry used a regional multiple distributor model before the Diamond monopoly. Conceivably it would be easier to organize now. And maybe could make books available beyond the direct market, but that's also a matter of outlets. I doubt spinner racks in pharmacies make a come back and newsstands dont really exist these days.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the industry used a regional multiple distributor model before the Diamond monopoly. Conceivably it would be easier to organize now. And maybe could make books available beyond the direct market, but that's also a matter of outlets. I doubt spinner racks in pharmacies make a come back and newsstands dont really exist these days.
There's a Dollar General on every other corner. I wonder if they could get books in there? I know Walmart has a small section of comics, so maybe that could be expanded. Eh, people far smarter than I am on this stuff are working on it, I'd imagine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom