Comic Book Talk (3 Viewers)

I don't think 5G happens at this point. It's a train wreck waiting to happen and a lot of people at DC know that.

As an aside, has anyone seen how Gail Simone had flipped out on twitter recently over the failure of Birds of Prey?

I don't think 5G happens at this point. It's a train wreck waiting to happen and a lot of people at DC know that.

As an aside, has anyone seen how Gail Simone had flipped out on twitter recently over the failure of Birds of Prey?
I think it's still going to happen. Otherwise, I don't think they have enough stuff planned out and won't be able to catch up. Apparently, it was always meant to be a short-term thing, just a few months. I'm hoping it's something even shorter now that we can basically just ignore.

Haven't heard anything that says it isn't going to happen. Most are saying it'll happen, just not to the extent DiDio wanted.

And my vote is to just give Geoff Johns a blank check for him to come back as publisher. Lee can remain CCO I guess.

Van Sciver is legitimately insane. He's damn near chased himself out of the industry because of it despite being a talented artist. He's burned bridges and has big axes to grind as well. Gonna need a way better source than him for this info. It wouldn't shock me if his "source" exists only inside his head.

The thing about this whole "DC is going to shut down!!!" stuff is no one reputable is reporting on it. It's all marginal characters and clickbait sites. Rich Johnston, who is a questionable person but undoubtedly the top rumor monger in the industry, hasn't so much as made a peep about it and you know if he'd heard anything about it he'd be wallowing in it like a pig in shirt. No one with any legitimate connections to the industry seems to be acknowledging it much, if at all. I'm not saying it's impossible, but so far the information is coming from areas that are lacking credibility to say the least.

Insane is right. IIRC, dude had a Kickstarter campaign to pay for a harassment lawsuit against him. He's as toxic as Liefeld if not more.

This has been on my newsfeed all day.

I went to a comic shop that recently opened in town and I asked the owner about this. He acted like he didn't have a clue. He's a DC guy. He must be in denial.

He's probably worried that it's going to close his shop before it ever gets started.

The $8 comics are what scares me. If that flies I'll be priced out. Again.

A good rule of thumb is if something is coming from Cosmic Book News or We Got This Covered, it's probably total bullshirt.

This x 100. Those two sites are worse than Bleeding Cool, so that says a lot about how bad they are.

This x 100. Those two sites are worse than Bleeding Cool, so that says a lot about how bad they are.

I hesitate to even call them clickbait because clickbait usually just misrepresents the truth in some way. Those two sites frequently just completely make things up that have no basis in reality. There's not even a truth to misrepresent, it's just straight up lies.

Maybe with noting that Heidi McDonald of Comics Beat did a post mortem of the DiDio firing (mostly focusing on how he survived as long as he did) and said none of her DC sources knew any status, positive or negative, for 5G at this point. She's a long time industry journalist and pretty well connected. The vibe I got from it all was one of "This was sudden and there is no plan because no one has had time to make a plan".

Maybe with noting that Heidi McDonald of Comics Beat did a post mortem of the DiDio firing (mostly focusing on how he survived as long as he did) and said none of her DC sources knew any status, positive or negative, for 5G at this point. She's a long time industry journalist and pretty well connected. The vibe I got from it all was one of "This was sudden and there is no plan because no one has had time to make a plan".

Yeah. It was a pretty long, but good read. Pretty much agree across the board. This should also answer why we've yet to hear anything from DC.

I would imagine we'll have to hear something before this weekend. I can't see them trying to tackle this at the planned publisher's panel at C2E2.

I hesitate to even call them clickbait because clickbait usually just misrepresents the truth in some way. Those two sites frequently just completely make things up that have no basis in reality. There's not even a truth to misrepresent, it's just straight up lies.

We got this covered is horrible. I'm waiting for the article from them about how YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS CHARACTER RUMORED TO BE IN THOR 4!

And the article is about how Thor is is in it.

Used to be die hard comic book collector. Several things contributed to me pretty much quitting. First, I lost my entire collection to Katrina--lots of key issues that I will never be able to replace--complete run of Amazing Spider-Man from 200 till August 2005, Uncanny X-Men 150 till August 2005, Marvel Star Wars, etc--most of those I bought on the newstand/comic store. The other factors were price and editorial directions. The cost of $3.99 for today's books is way too much for me. $2.99 was pretty much the cap for me. I tried to start collecting up again after Katrina and several other times since but the cost of $3.99 for a single issue was just too much. Regarding the editorial directions/stories? Didn't like it. The continued focus on events and ridiculous amounts of tie in mini series just added to the cost. There have been events in comics going back to the original Secret Wars for Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC. I understand that, but tie ins used to be issues of the regular series of the character involved. Now it's another 2 or 3 or 4 issue mini series tie in. Another cash grab. The constant relaunches also have turned me off. It used to be a #1 was a big deal. Now there's a new #1 every year it seems. I remember when the special issues used to be issues 50, 100, 150, 200, etc. Now series hardly reach 25 before they are relaunched. When I started collecting, books I collected were in the 100s. I didn't let that scare me off. I remember bugging my parents to take me out to BSI Comics on West Esplanade to get try to find some back issues. It was all part of the fun. Guess I'm old guy yelling at cloud now.

I know this was about DC possibly closing(don't believe that) but the comic industry as a whole is in a slump and I hate to see it go.

I took this from the other DC closing thread, but figured I'd bring it over here.

Your points are valid. I'm cringing at the price of comics more and more. Next week, Flash 750 comes out. It's $7.99. Alternate covers for "regular" issues are usually at $4.99. I imagine we'll see the prices for the regular issues at that same mark before long. I'm going to more digital with Marvel stuff and I'm getting my codes for about $1.50 each (maybe $1.25 each....can't remember). Still, I may be cutting everything back soon, depending on how things go with my Superman titles.

Pre-ordering through an online subscription service is the way to go for me. A $3.99 book costs me anywhere from 35% to 50% less than cover. Whereas before I would spend between $50 and $100 a week on comics, I'm now spending around $115 per month with pre-ordering.

Bleeding Cool is a mess, but Rich Johnston has much better DC sources than Marvel sources as of the past few years , so I'm inclined to believe these:

About possible changes to 5G:

As revealed by Bleeding Cool analysis, this would also see Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent born around this time and so age them significantly, as well as spread what had been a truncated timeline in the New 52, out across the decades. One example of the changes this would make would be giving each Robin a decade or more with Batman, before moving on. This is part of the 'everything happened, everything matters' mantra that was going to put everything published into DC Comics history, somewhere, rather than previous Crises and reboots which were more likely to cut things out. And, spread out across four generations- with a new Fifth Generation looking at what happened when the big names stepped down and their legacy continues with other characters – would allow creators to tell stories across their entire lives, as one can do with the likes of James Bond, Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood. The opportunity to do both Year One and Old Man stories. And then to go further beyond…

But now I am told that major changes are coming in. First, the dates, the specified years' timespans laid out in the DC Timeline are no longer being as tied down. Creators are rewriting and redrawing as a result. The 5G books are all still happening, as are the Generation one-shots – but they may now be placed in a different context

And about all the "DC IS SHUTTING DOWN IF 5G FAILS!" stuff:

There's been a lot of noise of late that, apparently, Warners/AT&T is going to close the comics publishing side of DC Comics if the planned 5G publishing plan is not a success. I heard it around a month to ago, but it didn't strike me as anything special, or notable. Because I heard the same about the DC Timeline. About Warners and Metal, New Age Of DC Heroes, Doomsday Clock. About Rebirth, Before Watchmen, DC You and New 52. And Blackest Night and etc etc etc. For one reason or another Warner Bros has often been going to close DC Comics because it costs too much – for decades, it just never comes to anything. There is nothing about the current mouthing off that is any different to what came before. It is true, it has always been true, that if the comics line loses a lot of money, it would be closed. However the comics line has been in profit internally at Warners for a decade, comics remain at the centre of their business strategy, and the last two years especially have made a lot of people a lot of money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom