Communter Rail between NOLA and Baton Rouge (1 Viewer)

There would be 13 trains leaving a day on weekdays and 8 on weekends.

Excellent. The Sounder has only 3-4 trips down in the morning and 3-4 back at night. Miss 'em and you're stuck until tomorrow.

Some updates to add to this thread: Nagin supports a commuter rail between BR and NOLA

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/6718952.html?showAll=y&c=y

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Monday the unprecedented disaster that was Hurricane Katrina has left the city and state with unprecedented opportunities to take bold steps to speed the recovery process.

Those stops include creating a commuter rail system linking the Crescent City to Baton Rouge and phasing out the state’s personal income tax over five years.

The mayor also said it would be smart to connect New Orleans to Baton Rouge via a commuter rail system.

Such a project would require a three-year commitment of $40 million to $50 million, he said.

“It’s not that expensive,’’ he said, adding the system should be designed with the flexibility to expand across the region.

Nagin said now is the time, with a state budget surplus and federal recovery dollars flowing into the state, to invest aggressively in infrastructure projects around the state.

I work for DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) and the commuter rail has led to a revival of downtown Dallas. West End is picking up and does pretty well with Stars/Mavericks games and concerts at the American Airlines Center (which has a DART station). DART is in the process of expanding its rail in the Northwest-to-Southeast corridor and an line to DFW Airport.

As for NOLA and Baton Rouge, the Legislature needs to step up to the plate and find a way to make it happen. Commuter rail attracts opportunity for economic development, which means jobs: the very thing that Louisiana (especially NOLA) needs more than anything.

It would be a good idea if the rail was one of those high speed rails and cost effective for people to use.
I sincerely hope it goes forward like that.

Instead of traditional rail which has many drawbacks, why not an elevated monorail?? It will take less time to build and leads to a quicker commute as the train doesn't have to slow down for crossings, etc....??

How about light rail intown connect it to high speed rail so one can get to other cities faster. Have a monthly commuter fee kinda like a monthly bus pass, say 200 bucks and you can ride it all you want. Then have a higher fee for the occasional user. If the system eventually connected out here to San Antonio I'd be able to go to Saints games.

"As long as the train doesnt pass behind my house...I dont care what kind it is..." Hundreds if not thousands of people...

A light rail from NO to BR is an excellent idea. Start out with something cheap with room for upgrade/expansion if things work out. This will also facilitate building a new airport between NO and BR.

Yeah and since I happen to have a rail line running near my house....I kinda hope they build it somewheres else...like along I-10 would make a lot of sense. Run it along the interstate right away. You can combine a few large "Park and Ride" lots near the interstate putting it else where then moves the traffic associated with the parking lots not in smaller congested streets. Of course this makes sense so thats not what will happen.

"As long as the train doesnt pass behind my house...I dont care what kind it is..." Hundreds if not thousands of people...

What's funny about this is that in places like DC, Philadelphia and Boston, having the train near your house actually increases property values, all else being equal.

Gosh i sure hope this is as big a success as the daily train service which has already been running back and forth between Slidell and New Orleans for longer than i've been alive!

/sarcasm off/

Give me a break. They can barely justify the free bus service between BR and NO. People down there are never going to be willing (or in most cases, able) to pay what MARC or VRE costs here... and the rates here are based on an established steady market (read: permanent and legacy employers, not just reconstruction-related temporary boom).

i think they should focus on bus service, which is more flexible, and see how that goes before they go laying track.

What's funny about this is that in places like DC, Philadelphia and Boston, having the train near your house actually increases property values, all else being equal.

sorry but I prefer quiet neighborhoods without trains...nothing to do with property values.

sorry but I prefer quiet neighborhoods without trains...nothing to do with property values.

At least in DC Metro area, whenever i have stayed out in VA near a Metro line (Braddock Road and Falls Church, both places where the line is above-ground), it's practically silent.

i lived a few blocks from the VRE station at L'Enfant Plaza when i lived in Southwest DC. Commuter trains are not loud like freight trains IMO.

but good luck conveying that to residents who are used to loud freight train locomotives :) i guess i don't blame them for not believing until they are shown. My house in Slidell is about a half mile from the CSX/Amtrak line and yeah, them freights are loud.

Light rail, monorails, and true commuter routes with park and rides and reasonable prices are all great. (Portland and, DC both good examples.) My problem here is that the proposed train fron BR to NOLA is far from visionary and, as planned, would likely fail. From what I recall it is Amtrak speed, far slower than driving, more expensive than driving and unlikely to be used by many peopel who own cars to commute to work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom