Deandre Brown commits to USM. (1 Viewer)

Awesome. You know you have nothing to say when all you CAN bring up is a game where one team played the game of their lives and the other played the worst of theirs. Alabama proved the whole "Any given Sunday" mantra really is true. But I think you are a little more obsessed with that game than I am. We just got beat that day. Move on. I have.
I am no more obsessed with that meaningless game than 'Bama fans are of Nat' titles that were won two decades ago which are less relevant to the current state of affairs in Tuscaloosa.

Still, it's far more substantial than pointing out my poor typing skills...

Let me spell it out the easiest way I know how: If there were no such thing as a Cover 2 defense Jason David would never have been drafted and would be without a job. Body type has nothing to do with him being a crappy cover corner. Some people don't have the ability to cover man to man. Jason David is one of them.

Oh, well, that's just flat-out stupid. Glad we cleared this up, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Let me spell it out the easiest way I know how: If there were no such thing as a Cover 2 defense Jason David would never have been drafted and would be without a job. Body type has nothing to do with him being a crappy cover corner. Some people don't have the ability to cover man to man. Jason David is one of them.

Dude.

Oh, well, that's just flat-out stupid. Glad we cleared this up, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Any reasons for calling it stupid? Don't QBs get passed over in the draft all the time because they are system guys?(Here's one: NCAA Passing Leader Timmy Chang) 3-4 teams don't draft 4-3 tackles based on them not fitting their system. Why would cornerbacks be any different? Tony Dungy is one of the best at drafting for his team's system, hence him selecting Jason David. We extended an offer to Jason David based on his physical ability and the potential that he could play man to man. Man were we wrong, because he is a COVER 2 CORNER!!! How bad does he have to do in our system before you realize that?

Any reasons for calling it stupid? Don't QBs get passed over in the draft all the time because they are system guys?(Here's one: NCAA Passing Leader Timmy Chang) 3-4 teams don't draft 4-3 tackles based on them not fitting their system. Why would cornerbacks be any different? Tony Dungy is one of the best at drafting for his team's system, hence him selecting Jason David. We extended an offer to Jason David based on his physical ability and the potential that he could play man to man. Man were we wrong, because he is a COVER 2 CORNER!!! How bad does he have to do in our system before you realize that?
Nothing about him being a system qb.
http://cgi.cnnsi.com/football/2004/draft/players/31137.html
POSITIVES: Tough, heady cornerback with terrific ball skills and a sense for the position. Smooth in transition and easily runs downfield with opponents. Stays with receivers out from their breaks, positions himself to make a play on the ball and explodes to the play. Small but tough and defends the run. Good awareness and instincts.

NEGATIVES: Size is a limiting factor and has difficulty with big receivers.
ANALYSIS: Were he three inches taller and 20 pounds heavier David would be a top -10 pick in the draft. The situation as it is he should be given serious consideration as either a nickel or
dime back at the next level.

Jason David was a system CB coming out of college? He went to Washington, right? I'm pretty sure he was on the same team as Marcus Trufant. The draft reports on David were that he wasn't a fit for the cover-two because of his size.

I believe in the cover-2 you want physical corners who can bump the WR's at the line to delay their routes to help the pass rush get to the QB.

Like Spam said, David's skill-set (fast, quick hips and feet, undersized) is a better fit for man coverage. Maybe Dungy took him b/c he felt he was the best player available? Playing his first 3 or so years in the NFL in a cover-2 couldn't have helped his development as a man-cover corner anyway.

Speed and agility has a lot to do with what system a CB's going to be best in. Every year you see guys who've played in a man coverage scheme throughout college get projected to a cover-2 zone scheme because they lack the elite speed or quick hips scouts look for in a man coverage scheme. Daymeion Hughes was one last year and Chevis Jackson will probably be one this year. They were even talking about Leon Hall being a better fit for the cover-2 last year because they didn't think he'd put up the numbers he did at the Combine.

TideSaint, why is Jason David relevant to this thread, again?

Jason David said that he played mostly man-to-man coverage in college according to an article I read shortly after we signed him...

Well I admit I was wrong about that. But I do know for fact that Alabama has more 10 win seasons overall than anybody else, along with bowl appearances and bowl wins, national titles, SEC titles, etc. It more than makes up for me being wrong on that account.

Now you guys have done it! You know he's angry when he throws out the past.

*Rumor* Bama DC to become USA's new head coach. If this is true Tide, who is going to be the new DC?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom