Demanding, Detailed, Accountable Klint Kubiak is winning over coaches and players alike (3 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last year there was something wrong with the offense to start the season.

Receivers were ending up in the same area on passing plays, Derek Carr could be seen shouting at coaches and other players, subtle suggestions that teammates weren't putting in the "work" to be on the same page and a distraught Alvin Kamara saying " I don't feel like were playing match-up ball anymore, were just running plays", all seemed to be hinting at a festering problem. Things were supposed to be different after the Saints had gone out and acquired Derek Carr for 150 Million to upgrade their quarterback room seeing the likes of Trevor Semien, Jameis Winston, and Andy Dalton take turns running the show the year prior.

There internal chirping amongst players continued but as the season progressed the problem began to get clearer, Pete Carmichael wasn't as good as his predecessor, and it went beyond calling plays. After joining his new team, and reuniting with Sean Payton Will Lutz said "I feel like my best years were with him because I was scared to let him down, I think that's how a leader is" Reading between the lines there appeared to be a lack of said leadership on offense and rather than being focused on just playing ball, the offensive players were being tasked with holding each other accountable and they appeared to be overwhelmed.

Insert Klint Kubiak, a man of very words judging by his interviews, but who already seems to be making an impression on players and coaches alike.

When asked what's impressed him so far about Kubiak Dennis Allen said "I think the attention to detail, and holding guys accountable to those details. I think that's something he's really brought to the table for our group, I think our players and our coaches are embracing that". Derek Carr, who Dennis Allen was very complementary of in how he was handling the new offense said "Every time I do something, whether it's great, whether it's not great, he's on me about every detail. Just being excellent, he's so encouraging at the same time, ya know Coach Gruden was that way as well, being able to demand but also making you feel great at the same time, he had a funny way about being able to do that and I think Klint has that as well".

No matter who's asked around the team, people seem to be excited about the coach as well as the system and it's resulting in a level of buy in that wasn't there at times last year.

Things were supposed to be different after the Saints had gone out and acquired Derek Carr for 150 Million to upgrade their quarterback room seeing the likes of Trevor Semien, Jameis Winston, and Andy Dalton take turns running the show the year prior.

Pete Carmichael wasn't as good as his predecessor, and it went beyond calling plays.
I will say that the one true benefit of Derek Carr coming here is it forced people to actually begin looking outside of the QB being the source of our problems. Coaching was at the top of the list and the way we came out in 2022 pointed to a lack of preparation. 2023 proved to be more of the same and the only QB that could fix that would be one that is bringing his own system with him like Manning, Brady, and Rodgers did. Our biggest investment went into something that, if we are being 100% honest, was among the least of our issues.

I'm really excited to see what Kubiak brings. I'm not going all in with the hype until I see what we actually do on the field.

I will say that the one true benefit of Derek Carr coming here is it forced people to actually begin looking outside of the QB being the source of our problems. Coaching was at the top of the list and the way we came out in 2022 pointed to a lack of preparation. 2023 proved to be more of the same and the only QB that could fix that would be one that is bringing his own system with him like Manning, Brady, and Rodgers did. Our biggest investment went into something that, if we are being 100% honest, was among the least of our issues.

I'm really excited to see what Kubiak brings. I'm not going all in with the hype until I see what we actually do on the field.

I concur, there had to be a progression.

After Drew retired it was potentially the Saints not having enough weapons. The went in on Olave and tand hoped to get MT healthy along with a few other things like letting Winston be the guy but that failed. Then they looked at QB, brought in Carr...got Thomas healthy and while they improved on wins...the offense itself didn't take a leap. So eyes went to it's the scheme, and here we are.

I concur, there had to be a progression.

After Drew retired it was potentially the Saints not having enough weapons. The went in on Olave and tand hoped to get MT healthy along with a few other things like letting Winston be the guy but that failed. Then they looked at QB, brought in Carr...got Thomas healthy and while they improved on wins...the offense itself didn't take a leap. So eyes went to it's the scheme, and here we are.
pretty much. But i cant feel unjustified to criticize Pete, being just a fan, with limited info. So ill just leave it at that. However, these shortened play calls has me a little concerned, because we may start seeing more infighting as the entire group will be held responsible. What I do like about the change in system is that the QB will not feel like he has to carry the team. Or play hero ball. At the end of the game the reason we win or lose (Offensively) will fall squarely on the shoulders of the play caller / OC. Because the system itself relies on the group's choreography instead of a single players ability. This also explains how Purdy was able to succeed instantly. Purdy was simply the cog in the wheel, whose job it was, to throw to wide open receivers, TE's and RBs (in theory) With that said, Carr should feel much less pressure in this system. Caveats: Now, if we cant win on first and second down, and its 3rd and long, then we're right back to playing hero ball. So this system does require a talented QB. And finally the defense will have to carry its own weight.

pretty much. But i cant feel unjustified to criticize Pete, being just a fan, with limited info. So ill just leave it at that. However, these shortened play calls has me a little concerned, because we may start seeing more infighting as the entire group will be held responsible. What I do like about the change in system is that the QB will not feel like he has to carry the team. Or play hero ball. At the end of the game the reason we win or lose (Offensively) will fall squarely on the shoulders of the play caller / OC. Because the system itself relies on the group's choreography instead of a single players ability. This also explains how Purdy was able to succeed instantly. Purdy was simply the cog in the wheel, whose job it was, to throw to wide open receivers, TE's and RBs (in theory) With that said, Carr should feel much less pressure in this system. Caveats: Now, if we cant win on first and second down, and its 3rd and long, then we're right back to playing hero ball. So this system does require a talented QB. And finally the defense will have to carry its own weight.
I feel like the system may allow for easier development of QBs but it may expose skill position players who don’t study. The 49ers drafted several WRs in Shanahans first few years that didn’t pan out, and based on what we’ve been told it was likely because they weren’t in the playbook enough.

So skill position guys may be harder to develop or get instant impacts from. Where in Payton’s system you could get a Kenny Still, Marques Colston, Michael Thomas or Chris Olave to produce year 1. Every now and again you got a Meachem or a Nick Toon but you ended up with far more contributors like Lance Moore than not.

Anyone have data or some info on this type of offensive system and yards per route?

I didn’t watch too many SF games or Minnesotta games when Kubiak was there, but from what I do remember, it seemed like ball comes out quickly and the big plays have to result from run after catch. I could be wrong on that though.

Not to harp on you, but this morning you defended Ole Sneaky Pete, yet this thread you are saying that he is inept at being the “man” when calling plays?!?!

I’ll tell you what it is. Pete doesn’t have that “it” when he is the guy bc some people shrink when all eyes are on him. Just look at the first 2 wins of the season. DC4 had to tell Pete what plays to call in the clutch, that led us to victories. Hence why he was never poached, why he never wanted to leave SP, hence why he never wanted the job as OC when SP left. We literally wasted two years bc 🦌 failed to see something that was clear as day.

I had to go 26-28 weeks of two football seasons, going to the bathroom, washing my hair, doing laundry when our offense was on the field bc of the ineptitude of Sneaky Pete. I hate having to kick it straight but that was a brutal stretch of offensive football. Denver can have him and I wish him well, as long as he’s far away from here

Last edited:
Not to harp on you, but this morning you defended Ole Sneaky Pete, yet this thread you are saying that he is inept at being the “man” when calling plays?!?!

I’ll tell you what it is. Pete doesn’t have that “it” when he is the guy bc some people shrink when all eyes are on him. Just look at the first 2 wins of the season. DC4 had to tell Pete what plays to call in the clutch, that led us to victories. Hence why he was never poached, why he never wanted to leave SP, hence why he never wanted the job as OC when SP left. We literally wasted two years bc 🦌 failed to see something that was clear as day.

I had to go 26-28 weeks of two football seasons, going to the bathroom, washing my hair, doing laundry when our offense is was on the field bc of the ineptitude of Sneaky Pete. I hate having to kick it straight but that was a brutal stretch of offensive football. Denver can have him and I wish him well, as long as he’s far away from here

It's funny how easily most people misinterpret what I say.

I didn't defend Pete the play-caller. I said dismissing his ability to design plays as though he's some wash of a coach is not intelligent. Not being a good play-caller doesn't correlate with not being a bright offensive mind. Pete was miscast as a play-caller, he's not miscast as an OC. Some people are better behind the scenes. And you absolutely meant to harp, I respect it when it's just said vs preceded with a disclaimer like "not to harp on you" Cheers

Last edited:
It's funny how easily most people misinterpret what I say.

I didn't defend Pete the play-caller. I said dismissing his ability to design plays as though he's some wash of a coach is not intelligent. Not being a good play-caller doesn't correlate with not being a bright offensive mind. Pete was miscast as a play-caller, he's not miscast as an OC. Some people are better behind the scenes. And you absolutely meant to harp, I respect it when it's just said vs preceded with a disclaimer like "not to harp on you" Cheers
My apologies. I drank a lot at the pool today. Yall enjoy

Receivers were ending up in the same area on passing plays, Derek Carr could be seen shouting at coaches and other players, subtle suggestions that teammates weren't putting in the "work" to be on the same page and a distraught Alvin Kamara saying " I don't feel like were playing match-up ball anymore, were just running plays", all seemed to be hinting at a festering problem. Things were supposed to be different after the Saints had gone out and acquired Derek Carr for 150 Million to upgrade their quarterback room seeing the likes of Trevor Semien, Jameis Winston, and Andy Dalton take turns running the show the year prior.

There internal chirping amongst players continued but as the season progressed the problem began to get clearer, Pete Carmichael wasn't as good as his predecessor, and it went beyond calling plays. After joining his new team, and reuniting with Sean Payton Will Lutz said "I feel like my best years were with him because I was scared to let him down, I think that's how a leader is" Reading between the lines there appeared to be a lack of said leadership on offense and rather than being focused on just playing ball, the offensive players were being tasked with holding each other accountable and they appeared to be overwhelmed.

Insert Klint Kubiak, a man of very words judging by his interviews, but who already seems to be making an impression on players and coaches alike.

When asked what's impressed him so far about Kubiak Dennis Allen said "I think the attention to detail, and holding guys accountable to those details. I think that's something he's really brought to the table for our group, I think our players and our coaches are embracing that". Derek Carr, who Dennis Allen was very complementary of in how he was handling the new offense said "Every time I do something, whether it's great, whether it's not great, he's on me about every detail. Just being excellent, he's so encouraging at the same time, ya know Coach Gruden was that way as well, being able to demand but also making you feel great at the same time, he had a funny way about being able to do that and I think Klint has that as well".

No matter who's asked around the team, people seem to be excited about the coach as well as the system and it's resulting in a level of buy in that wasn't there at times last year.
If we field a formidable top 5 offense, Kubiak is gone. He would immediately check every head coaching box.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom