ESPN's Pat Y: Ranking the NFC South RBs (2 Viewers)

Panthers have 3 RB's in the top 10! :no:

OH NO!!!!

Think about it...4 teams in division times 2 equals 8, so it makes since for 2 teams (Panties & Failcons) to have more than 2.

But I would put Ivory against anyone of their 3rd stringers.

remember this is also just projections

michael turner came in and immediately produced but last season he stunk. pat just projects turner to get back to his top form

both carolina backs are amazing but it has more to do with their offensive line and their commitment to the run IMO. either way they are both talented

pierre and reggie are both better than cadillac now, but when cadillac is healthy he can run like the best in the league which i cant say for either of our 2 backs

also considering that these are projections, im curious as to why he didnt rate chris ivory? ivory had a better preseason than arguably any of those other backups on that list.......wondering why he isnt projected to have a better season

Looks about right.

Maybe now the entire brigade of Saints fans saying just write a blank check and hand it to Pierre Thomas this offseason can come down from the clouds.

He's a solid back and I love him. I hope he retires a Saint because he embodies the spirit, heart and determination that made up champions last season.

But as you can see, the reality of the situation is he is not a top tier RB in this league. He's not even a top tier RB in this division.

You mean come down from the clouds because Pat Y wrote an article? I don't think anyone wanted PT to get a blank check, but clearly he is worth more than a million and change a year in the long run.

Panthers have 3 RB's in the top 10! :no:

I've heard how excellent their running backs are every year for the last, oh, five or so years at least, but I can only wonder if they'll ever actually live up to the praise they receive so constantly and turn those highly touted running backs into wins. :idunno:
Meanwhile, our own "over-rated bust of a 1st round pick" (as the New York and Houston media love to to say) is wearing a Superbowl Ring... :scratch:

Not sure why Williams isn't #1 on this list.

If Williams could overcome his tendency to get injured he probably would be #1 on the list. His career to date has been marred by knee injuries and if it continues that way, he'll be just another forgotten back, but if his knees stop betraying him, he'll live up to all that potential and become one of the best backs in the NFL. Which will happen is anybody's guess.

No real surprises here. The offensive strength of the Falcons and Panthers is the running game, with Matt Ryan providing an adequate passing game for the Falcons. The Saints have a solid running game, but because no one back stands out from the rest on the team as the "go to" guy in the running game, it's no surprise our top backs are rated down a bit.

Still, it is who wins the most games that will matter in the end, not who rushes for the most yards.

1. Deangelo williams - He's just special.
2. Reggie Bush - No one can do what he can do - plus he's healthy.
3. James Stewart - He has great feet and good power.
4. Pierre Thomas - he's highly underrated and explosive.
5. Michael Turner - he's a battering ram with solid speed in the open field.

1. Deangelo williams - He's just special.
2. Reggie Bush - No one can do what he can do - plus he's healthy.
3. James Stewart - He has great feet and good power.
4. Pierre Thomas - he's highly underrated and explosive.
5. Michael Turner - he's a battering ram with solid speed in the open field.
cough*** jonathan **cough

For what the Saints do, Pierre and Reggie are the perfect dual threats for this team.

Keep in mind Pierre had a 5.4 rushing average, and 8 total TD's (6 rush/ 2 rec).

Whereas, DeAngelo Williams had a 5.2 rushing avg, and 7 TD's (none receiving, btw), and that was with 67 more touches than PT got.

Looks about right.

Maybe now the entire brigade of Saints fans saying just write a blank check and hand it to Pierre Thomas this offseason can come down from the clouds.

He's a solid back and I love him. I hope he retires a Saint because he embodies the spirit, heart and determination that made up champions last season.

But as you can see, the reality of the situation is he is not a top tier RB in this league. He's not even a top tier RB in this division.

The Reggie fan boys are getting kind of ridiculous...

Pierre Thomas continues to be maybe the most underrated back in football.

And even Saints fans are to blame...

It's crazy. He's done more than Hamilton and Reggie and Mike Bell, yet people are on here, spewing statements about how "Reggie will be this" or "Mike Bell could be this" (after Bell's preseason performance last year).

How about we judge them on what they are? When Reggie starts consistently outplaying PT at the RB position, then go for it. Rank him higher. But it's stupid, especially with Reggie, to rank him on his potential. How many years have we seen with Reggie just completely go south because of an injury or something?

I think Reggie will do about as good as everyone else, but I'm not going to rank him any higher until I actually see it done.

I've heard how excellent their running backs are every year for the last, oh, five or so years at least, but I can only wonder if they'll ever actually live up to the praise they receive so constantly and turn those highly touted running backs into wins. :idunno:
Meanwhile, our own "over-rated bust of a 1st round pick" (as the New York and Houston media love to to say) is wearing a Superbowl Ring... :scratch:
How about both of them rushing for over 1,000 yards and averaging over 5 yds/carry. I would call that living up to the praise. The reason Carolina isn't winning games has nothing to do with their RBs. They've both done their part, and this is a total team game. I love Reggie, but you can't say he's had a better individual career than these 2 backs just because we won a championship.

The Reggie fan boys are getting kind of ridiculous...

No I wouldn't have Reggie listed as top tier either, because I don't think he is durable enough to reach to that level.

Pierre Thomas is who he is. He is a utility back that is exceptional at what he does. Not good, not great. Exceptional.

But he isn't ever going to be #1 guy that carries the workload. We offered a fair 4 year, $11 million and his camp said no. Asking in a 4-5 million dollar range (and maybe even higher, we don't know) is just not reasonable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom