First 2 Hopkins TDs (screenshots and coverage breakdown) (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
If anyone wants to upload video clips you're more than welcome to.

FIRST TD

This is at the Goal line. You can see Presnap here that the Saints are in Cover 7, which is a low red zone coverage where you are (essentially) dividing the field
into 7 horizontal zones. You can see the CBs playing outside leverage catch technique (soft press) meaning they are fade responsible. The overhangs (PJ Williams at the bottom of the screen) are catch technique on #2 (slot) and slant responsible on #1 if #2 releases inside or outside.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.10.57 AM.png

This is right after the snap, and the both of the WR's at the bottom are running slants. They stem vertical first to establish timing and to drive the defender over them back on his heels. One thing I did not see in real time is that the slot DOES do a good job of running up PJ Williams toes before breaking in on his slant.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.14 AM.png

The #2 WR at the bottom breaks in on his slant. PJ can pass him off as he has a high/low bracket by the LB and the S. Seeing slant by #2, his job now should be to sink and locate #1. The most dangerous route he needs to defend is the slant by #1. Remember, Cover 7 is an effective coverage in the low red zone because WRs can only run so many routes (condensed space).
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.27 AM.png

Three things happen here: 2 good by the Texans and 1 bad by PJ Williams. 1) Hopkins sets his slant 'high' or 'skinny'... he runs his route to space rather than to coverage (skinny angle rather than a flat angle out of his break). 2) Watson is patient and doesn't force the throw to the slant out of the break... he hits it in the 2nd window. 3) PJ Williams floats shallow. I will dial back some of my earlier criticism because this was really a bang-bang play, so easier said than done, but he has to get depth and use his eyes to locate #1 rather than staring down the QB. He stays stationary, and needs to know that if the QB is a) looking in his direction (right at him in this case) and b) not throwing the ball, he is waiting for the route to clear. Lattimore almost certainly communicated the slant, so he needs to either locate 1 with his eyes or be savvy enough to continue gaining depth and maintaining position in that slant window.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.44 AM.png

The next frame would be Hopkins catching the TD about 8 yards deep in the end zone. Williams stays shallow despite having no underneath threat. He also knows that the #1 WR to his side is Hopkins, so again, while there are some fundamental breakdowns that happen because the NFL is a VERY FAST game... He needs to exhibit a little more situational awareness here.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't even going to share these shots from this gem of a play by PJ Williams (TD play on the 2 play drive by the Texans to take the lead).

He should be staying in his backpedal longer (as long as he can) using a weave technique, not flipping his hips open when he still has 5 yards of cushion. The WR stems him outside, gets him to flip his hips early, then rocker steps back in on the seam route.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.19.09 AM.png

Quality isn't great, but you can see PJ coming out of a speed turn to try and recover on the seam. The problem is when you get stemmed out of position like that, all the WR has to do is flatten out his route and you don't have the angle. I will also say that I don't know why the hell Marcus Williams is jumping on the underneath route rather than staying deep middle... but this is an example of the little technical bad habits PJ Williams have that seem to flare up like herpes in critical situations.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.20.12 AM.png
The empty middle in this situation is a total head scratcher.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
First off, excellent analysis Dan, much appreciated!.

On the first TD, Williams is supposed to pass off the inside slant, correct? I'm looking at the players' positions here, it looks like the LB stepped up to press 14's route, but he's also in a bad position to make that play. I'm thinking that Williams saw that and thought Watson was going to try to squeeze it in there. But in truth, 14 essentially had 3 guys who could cover that route already & Williams should have immediately dropped back to cut off Hopkins' route as soon as his responsibility to the inside slant passed.

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I thought the corners showed bad techniques yesterday. Looks too much like a track meet more so than anything. But give big credits to Hopkins. That guy, despite his drops, has some of the most wicked hands I have seen in a long time. He play physical and run some of the most crispest route I have seen.

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great analysis. 5 stars.
IMO this game was the 5th preseason game.
IDK but sure seems like these slow starts can be attributed to starting the season cold turkey.

Gumbo's Dad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Great analysis. 5 stars.
IMO this game was the 5th preseason game.
IDK but sure seems like these slow starts can be attributed to starting the season cold turkey.
I can see that. However, the opponent is also starting cold turkey. I hope our guys gel faster than our opponents. Rams will be a big test but we get Onyamata back and we should have a chip on our shoulder for that game. Looking down the road, I am worried we might be flat against Seattle. But first things first....
And thanks Dan. Much appreciated.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
3rd down for us was just freaking brutal last night too. It seemed like we were struggling to find a scheme to match up the entire night.

OP
OP
TCUDan

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First off, excellent analysis Dan, much appreciated!.

On the first TD, Williams is supposed to pass off the inside slant, correct? I'm looking at the players' positions here, it looks like the LB stepped up to press 14's route, but he's also in a bad position to make that play. I'm thinking that Williams saw that and thought Watson was going to try to squeeze it in there. But in truth, 14 essentially had 3 guys who could cover that route already & Williams should have immediately dropped back to cut off Hopkins' route as soon as his responsibility to the inside slant passed.
It's not the easiest play, I just would prefer to see him finding work rather than floating. 2nd window slants are 2nd window slants for a reason. That means he was initially in position and Watson had to hold onto the ball longer. My biggest complaint about PJ isn't physical ability. It's his lack of spatial awareness (essential for a DB) and situational awareness.

OP
OP
TCUDan

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
3rd down for us was just freaking brutal last night too. It seemed like we were struggling to find a scheme to match up the entire night.
It was high risk/high reward. We got hits, pressure and sacks, and it paid dividends at times. But when the pressure didn't hit home or we lost lane integrity, some plays busted. The extended drives due to penalties were killers.

OP
OP
TCUDan

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My biggest question is what was Marcus Williams doing on the two play drive? I’d love to see the All 22 film on that...
I think he just got high/lowed on it and made a bad decision. It's a post + dig concept. Tight end runs a dig and the WR runs a post behind it. Watson reads the safety.

They're in what looks like cover 3, so M. Williams should open to the post... as you can see in the pics, there was a LB + Cam Jordan sinking to the dig.

As I type this, I realize I may have been a little hard on PJ Williams on that play. If they truly were in cover 3, that TD is on Marcus Williams.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't even going to share these shots from this gem of a play by PJ Williams (TD play on the 2 play drive by the Texans to take the lead).

He should be staying in his backpedal longer (as long as he can) using a weave technique, not flipping his hips open when he still has 5 yards of cushion. The WR stems him outside, gets him to flip his hips early, then rocker steps back in on the seam route.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.19.09 AM.png

Quality isn't great, but you can see PJ coming out of a speed turn to try and recover on the seam. The problem is when you get stemmed out of position like that, all the WR has to do is flatten out his route and you don't have the angle. I will also say that I don't know why the hell Marcus Williams is jumping on the underneath route rather than staying deep middle... but this is an example of the little technical bad habits PJ Williams have that seem to flare up like herpes in critical situations.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.20.12 AM.png
not to beat a dead horse....but there is DAvenport at the EXACT moment ( PIC 1 )his momentum was changed from the hold ( the one i alluded to in your other thread)

AND THE ONLY ONE in the middle and the REFS didnt see it. And when Oline hand is on the OUTSIDE of SHOULDER PAD - its automatic.

amazin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom