Former NFL player Michael Oher claimed that he was never legally adopted (1 Viewer)

So now I'm supposed to believe that the Tuohys, having met him only a few times, took him into their home and had him sign a conservatorship because they knew his life story would be made into a movie and be worth millions? That's pretty dang farfetched.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it should be easy to prove whether or not they adopted him and whether he received any money from the movie, as they claim he did. Someone will come out of this looking bad, I just don't know who that will be.

The truth is out there somewhere.

One thing we do know is that there is a conservatorship - it was put in place in 2004 and is apparently still in force, that's what he filed to dissolve.

In Tennessee (where this is happening) and everywhere else, a conservatorship is a device by which adults surrender certain decision-making to another more competent person. They're specifically for when a person "with a disability who lacks capacity to make decisions in one or more important areas." Tennessee Code Annotated 34-1-101(4)(A).

Did he know he was agreeing to a conservatorship in 2004? Did the court adequately inquire into whether he was actually in a lack of capacity at that time? Did he really not know until recently that he was under conservatorship? Were his 'adoptive' parents actually performing as conservators all this time?

In the years since 2004, he made college honor roll twice, graduated with a degree, and played in the NFL for nine seasons, earning $34.5 million. Clearly this is not a person that lacks capacity.

So now I'm supposed to believe that the Tuohys, having met him only a few times, took him into their home and had him sign a conservatorship because they knew his life story would be made into a movie and be worth millions? That's pretty dang farfetched.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it should be easy to prove whether or not they adopted him and whether he received any money from the movie, as they claim he did. Someone will come out of this looking bad, I just don't know who that will be.

Just to correct the timeline - by the time he was taken into the Tuohy home, he was already rated a five-star recruit and a top 5 lineman in the nation. I don't think its far-fetched for them to think that he's going to be a source of substantial money. Note also that the book (on which the movie rights were based) was published in 2006, just two years after the conservatorship was established.

I'm not saying they deceived him or that his claims are true, I don't know. But the timeline doesn't strike me as far-fetched for them to want to try to assert some control over his financial life.

Maybe it was all well intended and that they believed he had no idea on how to manage money . . . but why is it still in place?

Makes sense.
Even during the release and the hype of “The Blind Side,” he was pretty apprehensive about the movie.
I bet he was. He was portrayed as a simple minded man-child while the family were his guardian angels who swoop down, take him in, and teach and motivate him play football at a high level.

I can see having his life story presented as a "white man's burden" trope would be pretty insulting and offensive, especially in light of his collegiate academic accomplishments that Chuck pointed out.

I guess we'll see what the outcome of the lawsuit is, but unfortunately, it's very believable that this family might have saw and seized an opportunity to exploit Oher's talent and apparent future successes. In any event, it's cringey to continue capitalizing financially for such an extended period of time for doing something that should simply be a private act of kindness and humanity. Seriously, get a f****** job.

I guess we'll see what the outcome of the lawsuit is, but unfortunately, it's very believable that this family might have saw and seized an opportunity to exploit Oher's talent and apparent future successes. In any event, it's cringey to continue capitalizing financially for such an extended period of time for doing something that should simply be a private act of kindness and humanity. Seriously, get a f****** job.
The weird part is the kids are getting a cut of the royalties.

Just to correct the timeline - by the time he was taken into the Tuohy home, he was already rated a five-star recruit and a top 5 lineman in the nation. I don't think its far-fetched for them to think that he's going to be a source of substantial money. Note also that the book (on which the movie rights were based) was published in 2006, just two years after the conservatorship was established.

I'm not saying they deceived him or that his claims are true, I don't know. But the timeline doesn't strike me as far-fetched for them to want to try to assert some control over his financial life.

Maybe it was all well intended and that they believed he had no idea on how to manage money . . . but why is it still in place?
Yeah he was an established big time recruit by the time they got involved. Would it surprise anyone that they brought him in to steer him to Ole Miss and get some financial reward if he goes pro? Not that far fetched. I mean, have they taken in any other at risk kids who weren't awesome at football?

If you watch closely in the movie, Coach O was taking a hard peek down Sandy Bullocks dress.
giphy.gif

I bet he was. He was portrayed as a simple minded man-child while the family were his guardian angels who swoop down, take him in, and teach and motivate him play football at a high level.

I can see having his life story presented as a "white man's burden" trope would be pretty insulting and offensive, especially in light of his collegiate academic accomplishments that Chuck pointed out.

In fairness, he had a 0.76 GPA when he began living with them and they did help him get his grades up enough to go to Ole Miss. And the school success he achieved all came well after the conservatorship.

I think it's really important to find out if they've been exercising control all these years. Like, has Oher not really had control over his finances all these years? Or was it something that was very limited in time frame (and perhaps only related to the book/movie deal)? Did they really deceive him? Is there any other conduct on their part that supports (or disproves) what he's alleging?

Always have to keep an open mind with new lawsuits that don't point to much actual evidence.

The weird part is the kids are getting a cut of the royalties.
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that. On the surface - WTF? Then again, they were in fact portrayed in the movie, and they ultimately shared their home with Oher. SOME compensation is probably warranted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom