Former NFL player Michael Oher claimed that he was never legally adopted (3 Viewers)

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that. On the surface - What the Fork!? Then again, they were in fact portrayed in the movie, and they ultimately shared their home with Oher. SOME compensation is probably warranted.
Both kids got a third of the royalties.

If someone raised me from a tough beginning, I’m not so sure that coming out now to taint your parent’s’ efforts is the best move overall.
See, here's the thing:
Adopted kids, whether or not formally adopted, have as much right as anyone else to have good treatment from their parents. I far too often hear, "Well, Kid X was taken advantage of in _____ way by his parents, but at least he's not still in ______; he should be grateful."

I’m not surprised. Something was always a little weird about this story and the way the movie portrayed him to be like a Forest Gump level intellect had to cause him some issues. Isn’t there a scene where Sandra Bulllock has to explain his position and the game of football to him? It had to be tough in the locker room after the other guys watched that.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that. On the surface - What the Fork!? Then again, they were in fact portrayed in the movie, and they ultimately shared their home with Oher. SOME compensation is probably warranted.
You think it’s normal to view their relationship in such a transactional manner if they truly thought of him as their son?

You think it’s normal to view their relationship in such a transactional manner if they truly thought of him as their son?
No.

I do think that if a family (including the adoptee, of course) is approached with the concept of making a film centered around their story, they should be entitled to compensation from the production company in exchange for profiting from their likenesses.

Michael would not be the first black kid to be taken in by a family with such success looming in the future. Hell, there are plenty of girls dating guys because of that same reason. Point being, nobody should be surprised at the lengths people will go to for money and control.

My thoughts I never really care about his story. Didn't even watch the movie or watched any documentary of his life. His life's story is like 10 years old or something. Don't know but if he is saying this now, why he didn't say it then?
Perhaps it's something he found out rather recently? Or found out that he could address it through the court?

I hope he wins this. Just the fact that those two people had royalties from the movie, paid to their children (and not him), tells me that they were shady **!!!

I guess it is a coincidence that he just so happens to be dropping a book today…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom