GOAT boxer and Dream Bout (1 Viewer)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. got permission from California’s athletic commission to return to the boxing ring next month because their fight would be strictly an exhibition of their once-unparalleled skills.

These 50-something former champions still say they’re taking this showdown far more seriously than any exhibition.

“Not a real fight? We got Mike Tyson versus Roy Jones,”Tyson said Thursday in an online press conference. “I’m coming to fight, and I hope he’s coming to fight, and that’s all you need to know.”.

Promoters of the pay-per-view spectacle announced that Los Angeles’ Staples Center will be the site of the 54-year-old Tyson’s return to boxing on Nov. 28 for an eight-round main event against the 51-year-old Jones..........

The story is that the fight was verbally agreed to Wilt came in (I think to sign the fight agreement) Ali looks at him for a beat then yells, "TIIIIIMMMBBBBERRRRRR!!!!"

Wilt turn pale and turns around and leaves and that's why the fight never happened

The chess scene in Blazing Saddles comes to mind.

Even a guy like Wilt just doesn't understand how superhumanly fast Ali's hands were.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. got permission from California’s athletic commission to return to the boxing ring next month because their fight would be strictly an exhibition of their once-unparalleled skills.

These 50-something former champions still say they’re taking this showdown far more seriously than any exhibition.

“Not a real fight? We got Mike Tyson versus Roy Jones,”Tyson said Thursday in an online press conference. “I’m coming to fight, and I hope he’s coming to fight, and that’s all you need to know.”.

Promoters of the pay-per-view spectacle announced that Los Angeles’ Staples Center will be the site of the 54-year-old Tyson’s return to boxing on Nov. 28 for an eight-round main event against the 51-year-old Jones..........

I think this is just a bad idea. I mean, what's the point? 2 50 somethings getting in a boxing ring to go a few rounds? Not my idea of a good time. But...my morbid curiosity will get the best of me eventually.

Great thread...I loved Ali but even he can’t compare to the legendary
Walker Smith jr - the greatest fighter of all time. Aka Sugar Ray Robinson, he suffered Only one loss in his first 132 fights!
A Five time world middleweight champ, world welterweight champ, 100+ kos.
Victories over greats like Jake LaMotta, Randy Turpin, Kid Gavilan, Bobo Olsen, Carmen Basilio, Paul Pender, Fritzie Zivic, and Henry Armstrong.

I'm going with Evander Holyfield, but could hardly defend this statement. I used to think Rocky Marciano was the best, but don't think he could of matched up against many of the heavy weight boxing legends.

Mike Tyson was the most entertaining, he definitely had charisma, and hype.

Ali was before my time, so didn't watch any of his fights.

Honorable mention to Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko, and Lennox Lewis.

Dream matchup would be Ali vs Tyson. I would settle for a Sony Playstation simulation of the fight.

Last edited:

The Depends Match, brought to you by the good folks at the Final Resting Place Nursing Home. :hihi:

Just kidding. I wonder how many rounds this will last though.

I’ve said this before here more than once

Muhammad Ali in his prime beats anyone else in their prime

Period.

My dream matchup: Iron Mike Tyson vs Smokin’ Joe Frazier

So much of Mike’s mystique and power was his intimidation

And you DON’T intimidate Joe Frazier

That’s a fight I’d like to have seen

It's hard to argue against Ali, but I'll respectfully disagree. Frazier won the 1st by knockdown; Ali won the 2nd by unanimous decision; and Ali won the 3rd because Frazier's trainer threw the towel...Frazier felt he could continue. Regardless of who "won", I think Frazier gave more of a beating than he received. JMO...

With that said, I agree wholeheartedly with your dream matchup, and I IMMEDIATELY though Frazier vs. Tyson. I think Frazier in his prime or Tyson in his prime were the best. Two power punches both battling for inside supremacy, but each capable of ending the fight from the outside with a single blow. Would have LOVED to have seen that slugfest!

It's hard to argue against Ali, but I'll respectfully disagree. Frazier won the 1st by knockdown; Ali won the 2nd by unanimous decision; and Ali won the 3rd because Frazier's trainer threw the towel...Frazier felt he could continue. Regardless of who "won", I think Frazier gave more of a beating than he received. JMO...

With that said, I agree wholeheartedly with your dream matchup, and I IMMEDIATELY though Frazier vs. Tyson. I think Frazier in his prime or Tyson in his prime were the best. Two power punches both battling for inside supremacy, but each capable of ending the fight from the outside with a single blow. Would have LOVED to have seen that slugfest!

Ali, best all around boxer, Frazier, best fighter, Foreman hardest hitter and Tyson right with him. Tyson was a terror in the ring, but he wasn't a great tactical fighter.

To the poster who has never watched an Ali fight, you're doing yourself a disservice. Go watch Ali/Frazier or Ali/Foreman. Some amazing fights in there.

To the poster who has never watched an Ali fight, you're doing yourself a disservice. Go watch Ali/Frazier or Ali/Foreman. Some amazing fights in there.

Maybe some day.

Tyson Fury seems so old school, but is the current champ. I like his school yard fight tactics and the honorable ways he finishes fights. He could of completely destroyed many of his opponents, but seems like he rather have more time in the ring. He actually looks at the ref and wonders are you gonna end this, before I ruin this guy?!?!

According to Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield is the best fighter he faced.

"Holyfield was the best opponent I faced in my career".

George Foreman ranks the top 10 boxing heavyweights. Thoughts? Comments?

"My number two heavyweight to leave boxing undefeated Rocky Marciano. Number three is John L Sulivan. Four is Jack Johnson. Number five Muhammad Ali."

1604812793389.png

Last edited:
Bruce Lee vs anyone. Tyson is on record saying his one inch punch was part of his training regimen. Where does this much
power come from a 145lb man? Imo Lee is to fighting what Hendrix was to the guitar,

Frazier knocked Ali down but didn't knock him out - he won the decision (and for what it's worth that left hook would have knocked out an ox but Ali bounced up in a second)
The fight was rushed - The Supreme Court was deciding Ali's case and there was the very real possibility that he would go to jail so the Frazier fight was set up for several months sooner than it probably would have - Ali would have been better trained and prepared for the fight

The Thrilla in Manila is on anyone's short list of best fights ever regardless of weight class.

Ali did take a terrible beating that fight, he said that Frazier quit right before he would have, but I've never heard anyone say that Frazier gave more than he got, especially those last few rounds, I've never heard anyone suggest that Frazier would have won the decision if he fought and finished the 15th round-

yes Frazier though he could've continued - but his trainer thought he might literally get killed if he went back out

Frazier knocked Ali down but didn't knock him out - he won the decision (and for what it's worth that left hook would have knocked out an ox but Ali bounced up in a second)
The fight was rushed - The Supreme Court was deciding Ali's case and there was the very real possibility that he would go to jail so the Frazier fight was set up for several months sooner than it probably would have - Ali would have been better trained and prepared for the fight

The Thrilla in Manila is on anyone's short list of best fights ever regardless of weight class.

Ali did take a terrible beating that fight, he said that Frazier quit right before he would have, but I've never heard anyone say that Frazier gave more than he got, especially those last few rounds, I've never heard anyone suggest that Frazier would have won the decision if he fought and finished the 15th round-

yes Frazier though he could've continued - but his trainer thought he might literally get killed if he went back out

I agree with most of your post. But I would also counter that if Ali had more time to train for fight #1, Frazier would've had more time too. With respect to fight #3....the Thrilla....I'm not suggesting Frazier WOULD have won; I'm suggesting I would've liked to have seen Frazier fight for as long as Frazier felt he could. The fight was epic, but I've often felt Frazier got short-changed on the opportunity. Perhaps justifiably so....but the wondering...man.... Regardless of the "what ifs", Ali won 2 of the 3 and gets the recognition for that.
But I still prefer Frazier. I never liked Ali as a kid. I just didn't like the braggadacio. Nothing more than that. But I'll also admit that the movie "Ali" with Will Smith caused me to view him in a different light. He was always a formidable opponent and a great fighter, I just identified with Frazier better. And Frazier was from Philly....about 2 hours from my hometown, so I kinda identified with him as a "local" guy who did well for himself.

Just recognize that you're talking to a guy who thinks Earl Campbell is the all-time greatest RB in the history of the NFL. Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Emmit Smith were also great RBs (and supposedly Jim Brown, but I never saw him play), but if we were playing a game of football, playground pickup and drafting, and all those guys were available in their prime, I'd be torn between Barry & Earl, but I'd eventually take Earl.

I just love blue-collar grinders who achieve greatness by refusing to acknowledge their limitations. It's why I think DB9 is the GOAT, even though TB12 has the rings. JMO...

P.S. Just saw a Rocky marathon this weekend. Honorable mention to Clubber Lang. I'd put him in the conversation with Frazier & Tyson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom