Green Bay shows where the Saints royally screwed up (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
How does a team that had an aging, near-40 QB go three straight years without drafting a high-round QB to start developing under him? And how does that same team then go another three years after said QB's retirement and still not draft a QB to develop?

Look at Green Bay. They beat the Chiefs last night and are in the playoff hunt with a young QB who sat on the bench for three years learning. Jordan Love hasn't been unbelievable this season, but he's steadily improved, and it looks like Green Bay was able to transition to another franchise QB without even having a down year.

What do we have? We have a twice-concussed QB who is average on his good days and another guy who might as well be throwing to the other team half the time because he's so inaccurate.

Looking back, I'm just dumbfounded that we didn't make a move to get a QB to develop under Brees. Now, that opportunity is gone, and whoever we do eventually draft will have massive expectations and will likely have to start his first season. That lowers the probability of him succeeding.

In short, we royally screwed this up. I don't get it at all.

How does a team that had an aging, near-40 QB go three straight years without drafting a high-round QB to start developing under him? And how does that same team then go another three years after said QB's retirement and still not draft a QB to develop?

Look at Green Bay. They beat the Chiefs last night and are in the playoff hunt with a young QB who sat on the bench for three years learning. Jordan Love hasn't been unbelievable this season, but he's steadily improved, and it looks like Green Bay was able to transition to another franchise QB without even having a down year.

What do we have? We have a twice-concussed QB who is average on his good days and another guy who might as well be throwing to the other team half the time because he's so inaccurate.

Looking back, I'm just dumbfounded that we didn't make a move to get a QB to develop under Brees. Now, that opportunity is gone, and whoever we do eventually draft will have massive expectations and will likely have to start his first season. That lowers the probability of him succeeding.

We chose to gamble it all for another shot at a championship.

Which you could argue should have paid off in 2019 but... ya know...

We chose to gamble it all for another shot at a championship.

Which you could argue should have paid off in 2019 but... ya know...
I mean, it wasn't like it was a choice we had to make. A high draft pick on a QB was hardly going to be the difference in competing for a championship or not.

We could have done both with even basic planning. Instead, we arrogantly kept not taking a QB, I guess believing we could just coach up some has-been, and here we are six years later.

I mean, it wasn't like it was a choice we had to make. A high draft pick on a QB was hardly going to be the difference in competing for a championship or not.

We could have done both with even basic planning. Instead, we arrogantly kept not taking a QB, I guess believing we could just coach up some has-been, and here we are six years later.
Instead we took a center to play guard that year. Love was there for the taking.

The highest this team has taken a QB since Archie Manning is the 3rd round (Garrett Grayson). It is front office malpractice for that to be the case when we knew Drew was getting close to the end. He would have been pissed, but he would have sucked it up because he's a professional and a good leader. The mid round flyers were not enough for a team that had built the culture this team built. BPA is fine when you're stacked, but we had a glaring hole at developmental QB behind Brees.

They were all in to draft Mahomes as the succession guy, and when that didn't work out they completely abandoned the idea of drafting another QB.

The Saints traded up to draft Davenport in the same year Lamar Jackson went #32 overall.

Jackson has flaws as a passer, sure, but he'd be comically, hilariously, breathtakingly better than any other QB the Saints have had who is not named Brees.

God, imagine this run game with Jackson, Kamara, and Ingram. Good Lord.

The flip side is you do run the risk of angering your HOF wen you draft his replacement; both Rogers and Love had to deal with that on some level. I've been critical about Loomis' transition.

The flip side is you do run the risk of angering your HOF wen you draft his replacement; both Rogers and Love had to deal with that on some level. I've been critical about Loomis' transition.

Brees was all-in on Mahomes. According to Loomis and Payton, Brees was the one who told them to draft a QB after the 2016 season because he was starting to seriously consider retirement. Loomis said Brees not only knew about their interest in Mahomes, but was excited to have him on the team.

Just look at how Brees handled the end of his career in the playoff loss. Tears in his eyes, but he clearly tells Winston "this is your team now". Brees has always wanted his successor to be successful.

It's better to lose an aging HOF QB early than to use multiple and future 1st rd picks on players who don't pan out for a shot that never appears.

FWIW, I lost a good bit of respect for Drew. He could have handled it better and it appears may have stayed a year too long just so Brady didn't come here for a year. Drew knew his arm was washed but returned long enough to ruin that shot. It got Tampa a ring too.

We drafted multiple QBs when we had Brees and even traded for Bridgewater. None of them panned out and Brees stayed longer while Teddy wanted a starting gig.

Team management/coaches have been of the mindset for 6 or 7 years now (maybe longer) that we're just a player or two away from contending, and they've been wrong every year except for 2018 when we were robbed in the NFCCG. At some point in time, they will have to re-think their approach, or we will keep getting the same disappointing result year after year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom