Have we seen the last of Taysom’s Joker role? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Not trolling. I have a legit question.

I read a lot of posts where people just assume that Taysom will continue his Joker role, but I don’t think the answer is as clear as some may think. For one, even if Jameis wins the starter role, the Saints don’t have a number 3 on the same level as they’ve had the last 3 years. Maybe the Saints have a lot more confidence in Trevor Seimian than I do? I don’t know. I think it’s more likely that his role is more like when Teddy was in for Drew.

And, I think it would be an unfair QB competition if Jameis is focused 100% on the QB role while Taysom still has to learn multiple positions. So, I think that Taysom will also be 100% focused on playing QB during the offseason.

And, if you look at the contracts, there is a good chance that the Saints lose Taysom next year if he’s not the starting QB. Yes, they can renegotiate Taysom’s contract, but if he wants to play QB and not TE then he could force the Saints to cut him and try a new team. Thoughts?

Let him walk and take the comp pick if someone wants to pay him starting QB money

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to sign him as a starting QB. But, I could see someone giving him a contract to come in as a backup with a chance to compete for a starting role. Personally, I like him in the Joker role.

And, I'm not convinced that the Saints see Jameis as a significantly better option. If Jameis light it up against the Niners, do the Saints still put in a lesser QB and risk losing just because CSP made a promise to Taysom? I'm not buying that.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to sign him as a starting QB. But, I could see someone giving him a contract to come in as a backup with a chance to compete for a starting role. Personally, I like him in the Joker role.

And, I'm not convinced that the Saints see Jameis as a significantly better option. If Jameis light it up against the Niners, do the Saints still put in a lesser QB and risk losing just because CSP made a promise to Taysom? I'm not buying that.

Cant evaluate Jameis on the SF game. We had a lead and their offense is terrible. All we had to do was avoid mistakes. Plus he hadn’t practiced all week with the 1s.

Taysom had four weeks where he practiced with the 1s and showed why he isn’t a starting QB in the NFL.

Cant evaluate Jameis on the SF game. We had a lead and their offense is terrible. All we had to do was avoid mistakes. Plus he hadn’t practiced all week with the 1s.

Taysom had four weeks where he practiced with the 1s and showed why he isn’t a starting QB in the NFL.

I'm not. I'm just saying that if CSP thought that Jameis was clearly better than Taysom in practice then he would have played Jameis. But, you're right. Taysom clearly has further to go to be a starter than Jameis.

I was really just wondering what people thought about the chances of the Saints losing Taysom after this season and what it means for the Saints. The Saints are clearly a better team with him in the Joker role. I hope I'm wrong, but I think there's a good chance that happens which would be sad because I love seeing Taysom trucking defenders.

If Taysom Hill wins the QB job, then yes, the joker role is on the outs.

If he doesn’t win the job, then he absolutely works in the joker role... he’s too valuable.

For this year, I agree. But, what about when the season is over and the Saints have to renegotiate his contract? Will Taysom renegotiate and remain with the Saints or go elsewhere? I'm guessing the Saints thought of that when they gave him that contract. I just don't understand that contract because it puts the Saints at risk at losing Taysom if he's not the starter. Maybe the Saints see a Taysom clone in the draft?

Saints should trade him... Patriots, Bears, Eagles, Panthers...

... and this so-called "joker" role... sure, Taysom can line up at RB/TE/WR/STs, but so other players on the roster, and they can do it better, as those are their positions. About the only position in which Taysom does something that other players can't do, is coming in at QB and run the RPO; and if you don't think he can pass the ball, then of what actual value is he?

Last edited:
Saints should trade him... Patriots, Bears, Eagles, Panthers...

... and this so-called "joker" role... sure, Taysom can line up at RB/TE/WR/STs, but so other players on the roster, and they can do it better, as those are their positions. About the only position in which Taysom does something that other players can't do, is coming in at QB and run the RPO; and if you don't think he can pass the ball, then of what actual value is he?

True. I can't really argue with that. Payton doesn't seem willing to consider trading Taysom, though. But, when "gadget" isn't really a gadget anymore because everyone's seen it so many times, what do you have left?

I am worried about how Taysom reacts if he doesn't get the starting role at QB. Guess Payton will give him a certain number of plays plus he could play both where either can be used to throw on trick plays. Definitely will open up imaginative plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom