Have we seen the last of Taysom’s Joker role? (2 Viewers)

I really think most of Taysom's snaps this year will be at TE....we'll see....

The one position that I can see Taysom being as good as the players who play that position is TE, but that is because the Saints are have been deficient at TE, both in playing the personnel (why they kept throwing the ball to Cook and not Trautman who flashed?; TE is mostly a blocking position since Graham, Watson) and picking the personnel (Cook... no one since Graham, Watson) . But RB, WR, no.

RB's, obviously not better than Kamara, and I don't think he's better than Murray, and Murray lines up as a RB and there is virtually no risk of him throwing the ball.

WR's, obviously not better than Thomas, but is he a better receiver than T'Q? Deonte? Callaway? I don't think so.

And just to clarify, I am not downplaying what Taysom does, in that he can play all of those positions and play them relatively well, but that doesn't mean the players who actually play those positions 100% of the time cannot do it better than him, which I think they can.

On Murray I can't disagree with you, but I can't agree with you either 😆

On the WR, I do disagree, as it stands he is better than those 3. TQS has the ability/potential to be better, but I don't know if he ever will be. Callaway I am certain will be better than him, after some growth in precision, knowledge, & experience. Harris idk, kinda an apples & oranges comparison to me, but there are parts of his game that I feel are better because they are not parts that Taysom plays. I also think there are parts that Taysom is better, not to say that Harris can't be better with some growth, just not at this moment. Love all 4 of them though, and glad we didn't give up too soon on TQS, & that we have an ever improving WR room. Love having them all on the team. Extremely excited to see Callaway develop!

But in this case, it's the player that has the ability to hold the Saints hostage - give me QB1 money or trade or cut me. A restructure only works if the player is willing to restructure. The Saints certainly won't give Taysom QB1 money unless he's QB1. I don't understand why the Saints didn't give Taysom a multiyear deal with incentives that would give him starter money if he's QB1. It seems like a bad contract to me unless they fully believe that Taysom will be QB1. Because if he's not QB1, I think it's likely that he's playing elsewhere, and I don't think Payton wants that.
I can agree with some of that, but I would hope the team would not force a player to play because they want to selfishly keep him doing what they want him to do instead of following his dreams and improving himself.

I can agree with some of that, but I would hope the team would not force a player to play because they want to selfishly keep him doing what they want him to do instead of following his dreams and improving himself.

Taysom holds all the cards in this case. The Saints would have to pay him QB1 money in 22 if hey want to keep him.

I really think most of Taysom's snaps this year will be at TE....we'll see....

I think the opposite. Right now I see Jameis starting, but I don't think the Saints go into the season with a ton of confidence in Jameis as the starter so they will want to keep Taysom in as an RPO QB, at least for the start of the season. If Jameis cements himself as the starter then I think we'll see Taysom play TE more. But, I still don't see him doing that as much as previously unless they Saints really see Trevor Siemian as the real QB2 with Taysom being the Joker.

The Saints realize Taysom might leave in 22 to pursue his QB1 dream so you can bet they will give him every opportunity to win the job. They will not take a mediocre Jameis for a Taysom in the rear view mirror. That's why I don't understand the supreme confidence that Jameis will be the #1. You're expecting him to be someone else...that's what it will take.

What he said.

I think the opposite. Right now I see Jameis starting, but I don't think the Saints go into the season with a ton of confidence in Jameis as the starter so they will want to keep Taysom in as an RPO QB, at least for the start of the season. If Jameis cements himself as the starter then I think we'll see Taysom play TE more. But, I still don't see him doing that as much as previously unless they Saints really see Trevor Siemian as the real QB2 with Taysom being the Joker.

My "hopeful" scenario is described below. I don't think below is a stretch, I think it is somewhere between possible and probable. And I think it is more about trusting SP than Jamies....we will see what happens....

I agree that Winston will benefit from Payton putting him in situations that make it easy for him to make good decisions and minimize risk.

If things break right early in the season, he gets good production from the running game, gets some big YAC plays from Kamara and Harris, builds his confidence and that helps him still be sound with decisions if he needs to be a gunslinger at some point.

Similar can be said for Taysom as well. The running game and defense need to be good from the get go this year.

My "hopeful" scenario is described below. I don't think below is a stretch, I think it is somewhere between possible and probable. And I think it is more about trusting SP than Jamies....we will see what happens....

My fear is that the Saints continue the trend of starting the season out slow. But, I see no reason for DA to starting calling better games to start the season since he never has. And, if the Saints lose a few to start the season, I hope that doesn't have a negative impact on the confidence of whoever is the starting QB.

My fear is that the Saints continue the trend of starting the season out slow. But, I see no reason for DA to starting calling better games to start the season since he never has. And, if the Saints lose a few to start the season, I hope that doesn't have a negative impact on the confidence of whoever is the starting QB.

A salient point for sure, totally agreed. We need the D to start and finish well....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom