Here’s what I don’t get re Saints ranking predictions (1 Viewer)

Also, I think guys like Nick and Tripp have been burned in the past by what looked like a good team only to see things fall apart so they are going on the more conservative, "got to see it to believe it", side of things.
This is a good point I hadn't considered. Also, anything other than "gotta see to believe" is also met with "Sunshine Pumper" or dismissed completely by people who hate Allen and/or Carr. No other position is worth the blowback you will get.

In the NFL if you don’t get significantly better in the off season, then you got worse. Everybody is a year older, a step slower and a bit more dinged up. I like our draft pics and signings, but did we get significantly better? Time will tell.

We are a team that has relied heavily on a strong defense to counter our very inconsistent offense for the past few seasons.

Now there are (on paper) improvements to the scheme of the offense.

Unfortunately, that defense we’ve so heavily relied on since 2021 is a year older at some very critical spots.

So I think most are balancing out anticipated gains on offense with anticipated regressions on defense.

Is there anything other than blinding DA hate fueling these predictions?
On offense, Kamara has more wear. Hard to say the line is better; even assuming a young Fuaga is better than an old Ramczyk, there is little depth, and there is no plan B for the Penning situation. The WR/TE group was average at best and did not improve at all.

On defense, we have had only three especially good guys since the 2017-2018 period; two of them are old and just got older. Hoping that any of the other guys are better than the Average Replacement is wishful thinking.

We didn't really improve and may have gotten worse personnel-wise on paper. Everyone else is improving in the offseason. I don't think anyone is going to put stock in a new young coordinator turning it around.

I'm excited to see the new offense, and I'm sure the defense will be good as always. But I understand why people wouldn't be optimistic. Especially nationally.
I don'tt see the we'v gotten worse on paper when the guys we let walk are on the street, Why hasn't someone picked them up? I think unproven yes, gotten worse no

I think it's the mindset that the Falcons improved the most by actually having a QB this year. Most are picking us for 3rd in the division.

This is what I think it is too. A lot of pundits were high on Atlanta as a surprise team last year with the idea that they have offensive talent and Ridder could've turned a corner or whoever else they had (can't remember) could be serviceable enough to win a bad division. When they added Cousins a lot media personalities, rightly or wrongly, decided they had the best QB in the division. Them changing their HC also plays a role into this even if Morris previous HC stint wasn't so great. For the media, they've massively improved because Cousins first and foremost and they probably don't think Morris can be as bad as Arthur Smith was. Everyone else has stood pat at QB and whilst Carolina made a HC change their roster isn't perceived as strongly as Atlanta's on either side of the ball. As far as we go, we only changed our offensive staff which is a huge deal for those in-house and could be exactly what we need but on the national level it's another OC change for Carr. Allen is looked at as a great defensive mind who's thus far been a failed HC in Oakland and has underachieved with the Saints in his two seasons. Allen's personality clearly isn't one that grabs the headlines as far as interviews go either.

So most national punditry, majority of Saints fans and even Nick and Tripp, et al have the Saints doing no better than they did last year and a good chunk saying they’ll do significantly worse
And I guess the question is ‘based on what’?
Most all have concluded (rightly, imo) that bad Oline play AND bad play calling/personnel usage were the reason we were AVERAGE

Obviously losing Ram is significant BUT he played on one leg last year and we ‘replaced’ him with a top draft choice (yes he’ll need some seasoning)
I feel Oline play is probably going to be same level as last year with maybe a 25% chance of getting better
BUT almost certainly O play calling and personnel usage gets SIGNIFICANTLY better
And with slight upgrades on D, I just don’t see how all that adds up to ‘same or worse’

Is there anything other than blinding DA hate fueling these predictions?
i tihnk they were given the benefit of the doubt last year, and not this year. Plus, other other teams got more better in the offseason than the saints did by adding more players. So while we may have not gotten worse, we haven't advanced as much as other teams.

A lot of people have a hard time believing that the Saints will be better because they haven't shown that they can be better.

Until they are better and prove that they are indeed better you can expect a lot of low ball expectations from anyone with half a brain.

I only have half a brain and I'm still not on the believers side that Dennis Allen can get this team back on track to being a good team again.

To be honest right now they are middle of the road at best and the thing that bothers me the most is that I don't think it's a talent issue.

It's poor coaching!

2006 made me believe anything can happen. I think KK is similar in SP in the way he has created a style that tends to be a little ahead of the D minds out there right now. They will eventually catch up but right now his style of play seems to work. The big key as Guido said will be the O line. I think second half Carr is the real Carr after the injuries healed. If that’s the case and this 3 things, O line is better, KK is a new young superstar in the making and Carr picks up where he left off then we can be 2006 instead of 2005. It’s wait and see but I’m on the side of we will be a very improved team. Only thing I really worry about is age on D catching us as the O finds its form again.

"I predict that the Saints will be in the driver's seat for the division after the first 6 weeks after taking down each of the Kitties, Failclowns, and the Succs. Along with one win between Dallas/Philly, they'll be in good shape for the rest of the season."

I appreciate your take. But im cautious, because we're again back where we started, a new QB in his first year in a new system. There will be growing pains and a learning curve. Its more realistic to predict success toward the back end of the season.
Not a new QB. 10+ year veteran QB that was on the squad last year. Only the offensive coaching staff and new offensive scheme. A scheme that we already know is going to zone run heavy with play action concepts, which Carr excels at.

The Saints offensive problems last year was based around Carr with 5 and 7 step drops, with minimal protection, in straight dropbacks. The offense will be nothing like that this year.

SFIAH

That makes sense, people are still in jilted lover mode with Sean Payton leaving, so its infiltrated their line of thinking.
Same with Carr and Drew Brees. Many want another 1st ballot HOF QB leading the team in a league that likely only has two of those playing right now: Mahommes and Jackson (in my opinion). Dudes like that don't grow on trees.

Most of the Who Dat nation has been so spoiled by the Brees/Payton experience they believe any team that isn't 14-3 or better, #1 seed in the playoffs, and scoring 30+ points a game is absolute crap.

SFIAH

I don’t t pay attention to any of that. Too many variables throughout the whole league.

Which positions look worse on Paper?
I hope we do better. Carr should improve, play calling should be better and defense will be solid. Tightend production was poor last year and I can’t see how or why anyone would expect it to be better this season. The oline may improve but who knows, we lose two starter and have a first rounder coming in, but Penning didn’t produce, so who knows. The rbs could improve because of offensive scheme but talent level is not better than last year.

Mike barely played, Ram was on one leg, and Maye was hurt last year as well, so did we really lose these guys?
Those positions appear worse without them regardless. They are still significant names on a roster if you are doing a national offseason grade. No way to spin it, they are losses we never replaced.

I think people get the wrong idea with me pointing this out. It's just the balance of names on paper. It doesn't mean we will be worse, but this is how people do offseason grading. I'm explaining why the op saw what he saw.

And I guess the question is ‘based on what’?

Sigler gives you some context with five examples.

I myself feel more optimistic when I look at where the Saints may get to over the next two seasons, not just solely this upcoming one. Some arrows are pointed better now. They drafted well, stopped rupturing the cap, retired the Payton-Brees offense and brought in the right offense for Carr and the young skill and line players.

The line is a question mark but I see addition by subtraction in moving on from Peat, Hurst, and Ram too if that's what it has to be. Same with MT and Jameis, and possibly Lattimore (for cap reasons). Carr should be over his city, team, and fanbase culture shock. The defense might play better in clutch moments if the offense will take more pressure off of them.

Sure, this all could work fast, but if it will work - period - I'm willing to give it two seasons. The Saints may need half a season to start showing chemistry with the new things.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom