Hurricane Preparedness Tips (1 Viewer)

cajuncook

Official Cajun Cookin' Expert of SR.com!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I will begin with the ice tip since it takes time to make the ice.

Use containers such as gallon milk jugs,etc... fill with water to about 4 inches from top and freeze.. while freezing, keep lid off, but replace when ice is frozen.
Lable as "drinkable" any bottles that were properly washed and safe for drinking... (ex: you would prob not use a washed cooking oil bottle for drinkable water, but you would a washed milk bottle.)
Freeze as many containers as possible in the spaces you have in your freezer...... they can be used in your refrigerator in the vegetable bins and turn your refrigerator into a massive "ice chest"....
you put the ice into the fridge as the last thing you do before evacing or when power is about to go out if riding out the storm. Spread tighly closed bottles of water around on various shelves in boht freezer and refridgerator. Lids help prevent water spillage as the ice melts .
Large tupperware square or rectange containers work great..... to make blocks up to 3-4 inches thick, and then popped out and bagged in a large ziplock or wrapped in serveral grocerery plastic bags, taped tightly shut in order to reuse the hugh "ice tray"/

I do the freezing of ice each year as spring comes to an end.... while eating out of the freezer to minimize quantity of food therein as it is used. Then when a storm is headed in just a few more need be prepared.

I have a side by side freezer/fridge and an upright freezer... as I use food from the sidebyside, freezer section, I replace the space wiht ice.... and free up more space to make ice in the big freezer...... Sometimes jugs are not removed for a few years if the space is not needed. c

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If you ever have to use a generator, pay the price and use 10-12 gauge extension cords. Those 16-18 gauge cheapies you buy at walmart or dollar general are fire hazards waiting to happen.

Reaction score
Bottle water is hard to find at the grocery stores. Paid $30 to get some premium water that suppose to be ph balanced or something. People are in full panic mode in Florida.

Bought some gas for the generator and the gas station was lined up, people filling there tanks before the storm hits.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Bottle water is hard to find at the grocery stores. Paid $30 to get some premium water that suppose to be ph balanced or something. People are in full panic mode in Florida.

Bought some gas for the generator and the gas station was lined up, people filling there tanks before the storm hits.

Gas for generators needs to be ethanol free. Ethanol fuel breaks down oil. Find a station that has it and pay the extra price.

Reaction score
Gas for generators needs to be ethanol free. Ethanol fuel breaks down oil. Find a station that has it and pay the extra price.
That's good advice, I keep forgetting. Do you think the fuel stabilizer additive with gas is equal to ethanol free gas?

My generator is brand new, so hopefully I don't have to use it all.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That's good advice, I keep forgetting. Do you think the fuel stabilizer additive with gas is equal to ethanol free gas?

I believe it's best to buy it at a station that sells it.Florida has many locations

Reaction score
Hurricane Preparedness Tip.....Permanently move out of states that get hurricanes.

After last year's big scare, this year should be interesting.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hurricane Preparedness Tip.....Permanently move out of states that get hurricanes.

After last year's big scare, this year should be interesting.
There is no place on earth safe from natures fury. We know hurricanes are coming days in advance. Do you prefer living in an area where earthquakes and blizzards can happen with little or no notice?

Reaction score
There is no place on earth safe from natures fury. We know hurricanes are coming days in advance. Do you prefer living in an area where earthquakes and blizzards can happen with little or no notice?
I'm going with yes, but things can change. Usually second week of September something serious rolls through.

Reports indicate it will be a very active hurricane season. Stay safe everybody!

"Overall, an above-average number of storms is expected in 2020, making for an “extremely active” season:

• CSU’s latest forecast (published August 5, 2020) predicts a total of 24 named storms (average is 12.1) for the year, of which 12 will become hurricanes (average is 6.4). Of the hurricanes that are expected to occur, 5 will turn into major hurricanes (average is 2.7). Major hurricanes are storms reaching at least Category 3 strength in the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale.
  • NOAA’s initial forecast (published May 21, 2020) predicts a 60% chance of an “above-normal” season made up of between 13 and 19 named tropical storms. Of those storms, between 6 and 10 are likely to become hurricanes, and between 3 and 6 of those hurricanes could become major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5). Read NOAA’s forecast here."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom