I need some things explained to me... (1 Viewer)

Dorsey. We are desperate for help at DT, and I would rather get a QB and LT in the 2nd(since we have two second round picks).

I so fear you are dead on with the pick. There are only three NFL teams I really don't like, and in all likelihood, Dorsey is going to end up with one of them since two of them are in dire need at DT and pick one right after the other at 3 and 4. Oh, well...another Tiger I have to close my eyes over and say, "Good luck to you, though I hope your team continues to suck". Wish he could end up a Saint...or at the very least, not a Falcon or a Raiduh. :angryrazz:

EDIT: Sorry to thread jack, but I couldn't help my reaction. As to your three questions, I don't agree with the people promoting the first two ideas anyway, so I have no answer other than that "they are wrong"..:hihi:
As for DRC, he is an exciting player who has really shown his stuff on the national stage when he had the opportunity, so I don't see the worry in teams being excited about him. I think he's legit. As one sportswriter said, "If he were wearing a BIg Ten or SEC team helmet, everyone would have been salivating over him for months."

Last edited:
I'm a semi-regular contributor to this board's conversations, but I'm a constant lurker. That is to say, my post count definitely does not attest to the amount of time I actually spend here. That said, I have noticed some trends and/or ideas that I do not agree with.

I am by no means someone who chooses one opinion and steadfastly stands by it. I can be swayed. And it could be that I'm just not seeing things the way some of you see them. So I'd like to discuss certain opinions and figure out why there are so many who believe the way they do.

1) Deuce is done and might as well get his highlight reel ready for free agency.

I'm just wondering where people have gotten the idea that Deuce McAllister's days as a Saint are now seemingly in the single digits. I've read interviews with Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton that both state that Deuce's rehab is going well, and he's in the Saints' plans for 2008. So why is it that so many are of the steadfast opinion that he will be cut post-haste?

Payton has not shown us a propensity to lie when asked straight up yes/no questions. Many seem to think that he will be cut before his March 15th roster bonus comes due. If the team holds true to what they've stated (and for the record, I think they will), will you change your mind and accept Deuce as a 2008 Saint? Or will you simply mark another date on the calendar for him to pack his bags and leave town?

2) Darren McFadden is the Saints' only option if he falls to #10.

Many of those who believe #1 are also in the camp that believes #2. My question is this: If Darren McFadden falls to #10, what makes you think Mickey Loomis won't spend the Saints' 10 minutes on the clock milking Jerry Jones for everything he's got? The Cowboys have stated that they want McFadden. If Jerry Jones wants something, we know he's not shy about going and getting it. Personally, I think the Cowboys will trade up much earlier than #10 to snag McFadden, but if they can't, I'm almost certain that the Saints will make a deal to move down and take at least one of the Cowboys' first rounders...maybe both or maybe one of their young stars to go with one of their picks.

3) Dominique Rogers Cromartie is the second coming of Deion Sanders.

Statement #1 and #2 I'm a little more opinionated on. Statement #3 I feel I can be more easily swayed. My thing is this. Most of the mock drafts I've seen have this guy going in the late first/early second round. Why are so many on this board so eager to draft him 10th - 10-15 spots higher than most projections? And why do so many like him so much more than the other defensive prospects out there? With the amount of support he gets on this board, it almost seems like members of his family joined up just to post on his behalf.

So that's it. Those are the opinions I've been struggling with in the past couple of weeks on this board. Anyone care to defend these statements or oppose them? I'm open to both sides.

5 star'd..

1. Duece is getting paid an extremely large amount of money for a RB going into his 7th year in the league... Year 7 is usually the end of the road for a RB, especially after 2 acl's..i've had one and still have trouble running 12 years later..... yet, i feel that PT and RB can be just as productive.... and with that said, ive loved Duece since the "Duece for Heisman" days....

2. if McFad is there at 10, which i dont feel like he will be, we pass on him, because we don't need him!! we cant have 3 50 million dollar back and a 50 million dollar qb...to much invested in too little!!!!

3. Simply put, DRC is everything as advertised.... he is not only fast and tall, but he breaks on the ball like Neon Deion..... that is where the hype is coming from... and actually if you look at any updated mock drafts, they have him going as high as 7 to the Pat's..... so if you've seen draft with him in the 2nd, remember theres a draft out there that has Ellis going in the 2nd... don't put too much stock into there things... NO ONE on earth knows how a draft will go, but if we land DRC at the 10 spot, Smile and expect a Champ bailey caliber corner in 2 to 3 years....

As has already been pointed out several times on this board - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's choice (or lack thereof) of College had more to do with the fact that he went to four High Schools in four years, due to a series of events beyond his control.

So before anyone condemns this kid as a 'flash in the pan' from a small school, who won't be able to produce on the big stage, do a little research in why it was that he ended up at said school. Personally, I think he looks special. I don't care if he is related to Antonio Cromartie, Deion Sanders or Donald Duck for that matter... To me, this kid is looks like he could have a great career and at this stage, before any of them have played a down in the NFL, that's all we can say about any prospect in the draft.

It is irrelevant as to why DRC went to Tennessee St. The fact is he was playing against the likes of SE Missouri Tech School football players and not a school with the talent level of LSU, Michigan, et al.

You're talking about an entirely different level of competition... unless somehow you think Southern could compete against LSU.

Yes, it is true that big fish can swim in small bowls... certainly the likes of Randy Moss, Jahri Evans, etc. are proof of that. However, for every Randy Moss, there are two or three Wilmont Perrys.

I'm just saying it's buyer beware with DRC... there is a tremendous boom that could come from this, but there is also the potential for an even bigger bust... and when one is picking in the top 10 of the draft and the type of money those picks get, the margin of error grows smaller.

It is irrelevant as to why DRC went to Tennessee St. The fact is he was playing against the likes of SE Missouri Tech School football players and not a school with the talent level of LSU, Michigan, et al.

You're talking about an entirely different level of competition... unless somehow you think Southern could compete against LSU.

Yes, it is true that big fish can swim in small bowls... certainly the likes of Randy Moss, Jahri Evans, etc. are proof of that. However, for every Randy Moss, there are two or three Wilmont Perrys.

I'm just saying it's buyer beware with DRC... there is a tremendous boom that could come from this, but there is also the potential for an even bigger bust... and when one is picking in the top 10 of the draft and the type of money those picks get, the margin of error grows smaller.

This post gets a big ol' :plus-un2:

I don't see how Deuce can possibly and play at anything like the level he has in the past. If he does he deserves some kind of an award.

McFadden is a speed guy. If we're going to go after a RB go for a bruiser. Sooner or later (probably sooner) we're going to have to replace Deuce

I hate rookie CBs. (I should put this in my signature.) But if there's a guy out there with the talent to grow into a future star grab him and bite the bullet for a year or two till he developes.

I'd like to know what happened to all the draft Kenny Philips hype. Seems like he was a big favorite and now it's like he dropped off the face of the Earth.

With 20/20 hindsight, of course. But had he been the "next Deion Sanders" (or the first Deion Sanders, as the case may be) we would be celebrating Mora's genius for that pick, now, wouldn't we?

You are justifying my point. When you select the BPA then you are more likely to end up with special players. When you reach for need, you will never get a Deion Sanders type player.

Thank you for making it that I need not reply.

I'm a Falcons fan, but I think I can answer your questions.
1. To recover from two serious knee injuries would be an immpressive feat. Add that to his large salery and the odds would appear to be against him. Never trust what a coach says!
2. Anyone who thinks the Saints should take McFadden doesn't understand football. Ignore them.
3. He is good, plus people have a tendency to over hype players they like.
Thats what I think anyway.

1. As long as the knee injuries are in seperate knees, there have been many case of a RB coming back after tearing both ACL's in the span of a few years. Jamal Lewis did this and went on to rush for 2000 yards in a season. Add to that Deuce's salary is not large, neither is his signing bonus, and both Meuller and Loomis have said that it is a non issue and hasn't even been discussed or considered for discussion. Both have said that unless something freaky or catastrophic happens, like a bizarre injury setback comparable to LeCharles Bentley, that Deuce would be with the team this season.

2. I agree to an extent. If we had filled all of our defensive needs with compentent starters and didn't pass up any obvious defensive starters, I could see it happening, and would be interested to see exactly wether or not McFadden is Mcphearson good and how freakish our backfield would be then.

3. I really don't know a thing about DRC. I haven't seen one play of him. I do know about a guy named Dorsey and a guy named Ellis, and I would much prefer drafting them and maybe getting DRC or Flowers in round two. Anyone remember Fabian Washington? Dude really looked great at the combine.

To the original poster, I absolutely loved how you set up this thread and the points you make about openmindedness and liking to hear both sides of the story. I can see why people are goo goo ga ga over McFadden and DRC alike, and the only thing I can't reconcile is the attitude that either Deuce has to take a pay cut or leave. If I injured my knee, and as a result of rehab, made my entire leg much stronger than it was before, and showed this in my performance for a full year, then went out and injured my opposite knee, I don't see any reason I couldn't fully recover from it as Deuce appears to be doing. Sports medicine has progressed exponentially in terms of ACL repair and recovery, and as long as there are no complications during recovery, have had a very quick turnaround in terms of getting back on the field and to the same level of production.

I think Deuce will be every bit as good as he was in 2006. The key is for our coach to run him the right way, and spell him with Thomas. Keep using Reggie in perpetual motion so we know what scheme the defense is running, keep them honest, and leave them guessing. This team would be taking a backwards step replacing Deuce with any RB in the first few rounds of the draft, and it would be premature to cut him before acquiring and finding out how good a second day RB could be. Especially considering the needs we have on defense, namely DT, WLB, CB, and S. If we draft any offense, I only hope it is T, C, TE, or even WR in late rounds. Deuce's salary isn't large at all, and with the accelerations of guaranteed money, I do not believe we would be saving any money cutting him. I simply see no postive coming from it.

Last edited:
What is Mcphearson good?

I am so so sorry, I meant Peterson good. I had a brain fart and got my Adrian's confused.

After hearing rumors of interest in McFadden, even though I was against it 100%, on another thread a month or so ago I seriously considered how adding him would affect our offense. I thought back to the type of envious impact Peterson had for Minnesota and wondered if McFadden would have the same kind of LT, twice in a decade kind of special player impact, and how we could use someone like that with Reggie and our mad scientist offensive innovator coach and the possibilities considering McFaddens passing skills and wether or not it all translates. In the end I kind of agree with Mayok and his dead legs theory, but I do not get paid for this or have access to films or even know how to break them down, so it was all pretty much fantasy in my head.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom