Inflation here? gas/grocery prices just continue to climb (1 Viewer)

“Aggregate markups – the more relevant measure for overall inflation – have stayed essentially flat since the start of the recovery,” the paper concluded. “Rising markups have not been a main driver of the recent surge and subsequent decline in inflation during the current recovery.”

“Aggregate markups – the more relevant measure for overall inflation – have stayed essentially flat since the start of the recovery,” the paper concluded. “Rising markups have not been a main driver of the recent surge and subsequent decline in inflation during the current recovery.”
Read the article.....but if it's not corporate greed and corporations are experiencing record profits, where is the inflation coming from. The article doesn't bother to say. lol

Economics is a intricate yet boring and very multi-faceted topic.

If you stop the average American who stopped learning about Economics after High School, ( and id argue many that took Econ in college cuz they had to, but never went into an "economics-type" job )

the cause and effect simply cannot be explained in a way that 80-90% of average Americans can really grasp or WANT to spend time grasping. Because it takes time to understand the different effects that supply has, demand has, production has, wages has etc etc on the overall larger economic picture.

So its easy to find something that the 80% or so WILL understand.

Wanna stop corporate greed? stop buying their product. Americans have a purchasing problem. MY wife and kids have a purchasing problem that i contend with weekly. Amazon. Sephora, Ulta - how much @#$@#$# make up do you need?

im going off on a tangent here, but implore those with kids ( especially girls ) to watch Brandy Hellville/Fast Fashion on Netflix. I had NO IDEA this was a "thing" but it helped me understand how my 15 yr old spends $80 at a store on 2 shirts ( or skirts or whatever ) and a week later says " this is the in thing now" and spends another $50. ( these companies are using social media to speed up the fashion cycle, by the time they get the original order, that "fashion" is obsolete - no kidding )

Its all about how Brandy Melville operated in the fashion space. IT will blow your mind over how much control they had over young girls/women.

Read the article.....but if it's not corporate greed and corporations are experiencing record profits, where is the inflation coming from. The article doesn't bother to say. lol

it does acknowledge that corporate profits account for around 40% - but yeah, whats the other 60%?

Id be willing to bet that the answer is quite convoluted and the author doesnt really feel like diving into and explaining to readers because that article would be 10,000 words and boring and gibberish to many.

it does acknowledge that corporate profits account for around 40% - but yeah, whats the other 60%?

Id be willing to bet that the answer is quite convoluted and the author doesnt really feel like diving into and explaining to readers because that article would be 10,000 words and boring and gibberish to many.
As I've alluded many times before: just read a few pages of the Investment Thread and you'll get a glimmer of the root of "corporate greed". Of course the compensation executive staff takes home is appalling. But it's a molehill, not a mountain.

Capitalism primarily reacts to the demands of shareholders. And shareholders will dump the stock in a heartbeat in favor of a competitor which provides higher returns...leading to fired CEOs who take golden parachutes, only to be replaced by even higher paid CEOs in an effort to rebuild shareholder confidence.

Deregulate the beast to this degree, and the personal "greed" of millions of investors leads to this.

Attachments

• enemy.jpeg
    enemy.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
  • frog.jpeg
    frog.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 4
Economics is a intricate yet boring and very multi-faceted topic.

If you stop the average American who stopped learning about Economics after High School, ( and id argue many that took Econ in college cuz they had to, but never went into an "economics-type" job )

the cause and effect simply cannot be explained in a way that 80-90% of average Americans can really grasp or WANT to spend time grasping. Because it takes time to understand the different effects that supply has, demand has, production has, wages has etc etc on the overall larger economic picture.

So its easy to find something that the 80% or so WILL understand.

Wanna stop corporate greed? stop buying their product. Americans have a purchasing problem. MY wife and kids have a purchasing problem that i contend with weekly. Amazon. Sephora, Ulta - how much @#$@#$# make up do you need?

im going off on a tangent here, but implore those with kids ( especially girls ) to watch Brandy Hellville/Fast Fashion on Netflix. I had NO IDEA this was a "thing" but it helped me understand how my 15 yr old spends $80 at a store on 2 shirts ( or skirts or whatever ) and a week later says " this is the in thing now" and spends another $50. ( these companies are using social media to speed up the fashion cycle, by the time they get the original order, that "fashion" is obsolete - no kidding )

Its all about how Brandy Melville operated in the fashion space. IT will blow your mind over how much control they had over young girls/women.
In speech class I have a student who is interested in anarchy (but really he’s interested in libertarianism) for his ‘Senior Speak’ next year
So we’ve been watching several Econ videos
It’s all beautiful theories that break apart when applied
The system is just hopelessly complex- no system will withstand all strains
The big mistake we make is getting stuck in a theory like it’s a religion or something
Maybe it’s better to have life/society principles and bend the economic systems around that

As I've alluded many times before: just read a few pages of the Investment Thread and you'll get a glimmer of the root of "corporate greed". Of course the compensation executive staff takes home is appalling. But it's a molehill, not a mountain.

Capitalism primarily reacts to the demands of shareholders. And shareholders will dump the stock in a heartbeat in favor of a competitor which provides higher returns...leading to fired CEOs who take golden parachutes, only to be replaced by even higher paid CEOs in an effort to rebuild shareholder confidence.

Deregulate the beast to this degree, and the personal "greed" of millions of investors leads to this.

Indeed.
And I didn't even mention the shareholder pressure on public corporations, the execs and decision making process. This has a very large influence.

In speech class I have a student who is interested in anarchy (but really he’s interested in libertarianism) for his ‘Senior Speak’ next year
So we’ve been watching several Econ videos
It’s all beautiful theories that break apart when applied
The system is just hopelessly complex- no system will withstand all strains
The big mistake we make is getting stuck in a theory like it’s a religion or something
Maybe it’s better to have life/society principles and bend the economic systems around that

So true...what happens in a micro doesn't happen in the macro and vice versa. Yet happenings in either has an effect on both.

Applying some theory that makes sense in one aspect has a cascading effect on other aspects, good or bad.

for perspective- META has 2.65B ( Billion ) shares outstanding. Their est annual dividend is $2.00.

So if all things remain equal for 2024, they will RETURN $5,300,000,000 USD to shareholders. 5.3 BILLION.

wow.

Capitalism is a wonderful idea, and a superior means of organizing a society's communal survival instincts, but it needs to serve man's groundings in moral principles, not the other way around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom