Ingram benched [OLD THREAD BUMPED] (1 Viewer)

Ingram is the pinnacle of good. It seems like when everything goes well he is A1 from Day 1. IMO i think he is careless with the ball with the game on the line not only because the fumble. I feel that Ingram has been not running hard through holes and is not keeping his knees high coming through the line. He has vastly improved on catching the ball. I really thought this was going to improve his statue as a team player. I don't think we part ties with Ingram and we simply coaching him up because the season is so long and he has time to have a few games where he can really get off. This will be great with him playing the second role for a few games so he can be fresh at the end of the season in which he hasn't been in the last few season. This could be a blessing in disguise for us saint fans.

There are a few particular members that frequently post on SSF that tend to believe they are NFL scouts and know more than the coaches and the numbers. While I enjoy most of their posts, I'll take the numbers and the coaches over our resident message board scouts. When you look beyond the margin of victory splits and look more into the situational numbers. As well as having a simple understanding of how Payton designs specific roles for each particular running back, which feeds into opposing teams game plans, Ingram has respectable numbers. If we can only commit fully to running at minimum a 60/40 split regardless of the score, the defense will benefit tremendously as well as the Oline's ability to protect Drew.

We all hated Carl Smith for his conservative play calling, but it's that play calling that helped the Dome Patrol be so dominant. Carl's offense didn't allow those points late in the games. Prevent Defense did. If Sean can channel just 10% of Carl Smith into his play calling, we are going 10 and 0 to finish the season. I don't care who is running the ball.
A 60/40 split is still a pass first offense. I agree that that feels like the right target for this offense. When we start to get into trouble is when running at 65/35 to 70/30 pass/run. Turnovers will be more of an issue because there are a lot of things that can go wrong for a timing offense when you drop back and throw the ball and that kind of ratio juts increases the opportunity for that miscue. Then obviously there is less effectiveness for play action when you are throwing that much especially if you are doing a lot of it empty backfield.

He has vastly improved on catching the ball. I really thought this was going to improve his statue as a team player.

This idea that Ingram couldn't catch passes until the past couple seasons is a farce. The dude caught 60 passes in College. He never played in the passing game because that role was specifically given to Pierre Thomas. The MOMENT Pierre Thomas was let go Mark Ingram magically learned how to catch and block? No he immediately absorbed that role. Which immediately translated into better performance at the Running back position because defenses weren't sure if we were running or passing when Ingram was in the game. Up until that point Defenses could stack to box when Ingram was in the game because Sean Payton's play calling/role assignments was very predicable.

I doubt this very much. He is what he is, an average+ NFL back. Less than average vision and lacking in "Breakaway"speed. We've seen the best he can provide and it is not worthy of moving up in the draft to select him in the first round. Either you are an Alabama fan who swears by him, or you are not.

He does give 100% effort on every play, but this in itself is not enough to warrant his being a #1 back. It's time to move on.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by HayBear View Post
I doubt this very much. He is what he is, an average+ NFL back. Less than average vision and lacking in "Breakaway"speed. We've seen the best he can provide and it is not worthy of moving up in the draft to select him in the first round. Either you are an Alabama fan who swears by him, or you are not.

He does give 100% effort on every play, but this in itself is not enough to warrant his being a #1 back. It's time to move on.

Smiles...slowly sips on hot cocoa.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's easy to call out those who were ripping on Ingram. But at the same time, it was also obvious to most (even consistent Ingram supporters, myself included) that he wasn't running as hard, as violent, as committed as he did in the past when he had the look of a feature back. It just wasn't there this year.

It was there today - he ran hard and violent. That's what it takes and you have to bring it every game. He was outstanding today and he needs to bring that emotion every game. He won't be able to draw on being benched every game so he'll have to figure out how to summon it from deep within - but if you get comfortable and lose that edge, it's that easy to lose your starting position.

He has all of the skill, he just needs that hunger every game.

This "motivate" Ingram crap is so lame. You think this guy would still be in the NFL if he needed motivation to do his job every sunday? Some of you watch to many movies I think.

Don't worry guys, we are just going to find some obscure splits to show how Mark Ingram didn't really just outperform Hightower against the worst rushing defense in the league. Like if we take away that 75 yarder. Then we got 14 for 83 vs 23 for 87, see Hightower is the better back, he had more yards. :ezbill:

It's easy to call out those who were ripping on Ingram. But at the same time, it was also obvious to most (even consistent Ingram supporters, myself included) that he wasn't running as hard, as violent, as committed as he did in the past when he had the look of a feature back. It just wasn't there this year.

It was there today - he ran hard and violent. That's what it takes and you have to bring it every game. He was outstanding today and he needs to bring that emotion every game. He won't be able to draw on being benched every game so he'll have to figure out how to summon it from deep within - but if you get comfortable and lose that edge, it's that easy to lose your starting position.

He has all of the skill, he just needs that hunger every game.

If that was all that had been said, I wouldn't have had a problem. However, the discussion became quite hyperbolic, shortsighted, and therefore too critical of a back who has been very productive for the Saints. Many were figuratively calling for his head on a platter.

I love how we used Ingram today. None of that slow start, have to get him 20 carries BS. Let him come in hungry off the bench and problem solved. We find a way to get something out of him, he stays hungry and productive.

Let Hightower get the bulk of the carries and Ingram can come in. It worked when he got benched in 2012, it worked when he got benched in 2013 and it worked when he got benched in 2016.

Next season we can draft a good Rb to replace hightower and let Ingram continue to stay hungry coming off the bench.

If that was all that had been said, I wouldn't have had a problem. However, the discussion became quite hyperbolic, shortsighted, and therefore too critical of a back who has been very productive for the Saints. Many were figuratively calling for his head on a platter.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I said it's easy to call out those who were ripping Ingram. They weren't being fair and they were wrong.

I knew someone would do this.

I also knew the saints run game or pretty much any nfl team run game would have a field day against the worst ranked run defense.

Ingram had a good game though

I deliberately stayed away from the Ingram debate mostly over the years. He seems strong and fast sometimes, then slow and easily stopped other times. It's weird.

He's 26. Is it possible he was just partying too much (pure speculation), and that when he gets competition (Ivory, Hightower) he calms it down and focuses on his job? Wouldn't be the first 26 year old to be that way.

This "motivate" Ingram crap is so lame. You think this guy would still be in the NFL if he needed motivation to do his job every sunday? Some of you watch to many movies I think.

People will suck the drama out anything. I'm sure he ran with a chip on his shoulder but Ingram is always motivated and plays with passion. This game reminds me of the big game he had vs the Cowboys two seasons ago where he went on a tear and rarned his first pro bowl trip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom