Interesting Info on Sedrick Ellis (1 Viewer)

Almost 50 LSU players bench over 400 lbs. It's not uncommon in elite college programs.

Benching 500 pounds is alot different then benching around 400 pounds. Even still I don't believe for a second that 50 LSU players bench 400 pounds. Do they have 50 linemen I'm unaware of?

Benching 500 pounds is alot different then benching around 400 pounds. Even still I don't believe for a second that 50 LSU players bench 400 pounds. Do they have 50 linemen I'm unaware of?

I think it was during the LSU/Tulane game that the announcer said Tulane had one player who could bench over 400 pounds. LSU had over ?(it was either 30, 40, or 50).

So that's where the statement comes from. I don't feel like researching, but I'm pretty sure the statement is on this board somewhere.

All the Sedrick Ellis talk is starting to really hurt, it is like watching the car you really wanted drive off the lot with someone else.

Ellis is going to be long gone.
I remember the same thing last year, when I wanted Patrick Willis with the Saints pick in the first round. Mocks had him at around our pick, i was stoked. Then he had good "showcase games" and workouts and everyone started talking about him... and up he rose. :( Good for him, bad for my idea of him in a Saints uni.

Ellis is tearing it up in Bama and that probably moves him too far up for us. I'm with Bonchie on this one. Moving up by trading a 2nd rd pick can be more detrimental than helpful because of the potential at LB in the 2nd rd. A great pair of picks would be a DL in the 1st and a LB in the 2nd. As long as they pan out, that could be a great pairing in the middle of the field.

Couple comments: I think it was over 70 LSU players that bench over 400.

--If Ellis had started lifting at 13 instead of 15, I hardly think it would have mattered at this point in his development.

--Benching 500 lbs for a powerlifter isn't that big of a deal, as there are guys that weigh 160 lbs that can do that, but it's a pretty big deal for football players. It's much more impressive than benching 400 lbs, and not just 25% more impressive.

--If Ellis had started lifting at 13 instead of 15, I hardly think it would have mattered at this point in his development.

--Benching 500 lbs for a powerlifter isn't that big of a deal, as there are guys that weigh 160 lbs that can do that, but it's a pretty big deal for football players. It's much more impressive than benching 400 lbs, and not just 25% more impressive.

You will be hard pressed to find 70 guys on a team that can bench more then 400 pounds. When you hear that a 160lbs. DB did it they are lying.

Is PAC-10 competition too soft?
Is he a product of a great supporting cast?

Is PAC-10 competition too soft?
Is he a product of a great supporting cast?

No more soft then Big 10 competition and everyone loves Dan Conner (who I'm not high on).

I like Mayo or Goff as better MLB's then Dan Conner just because I know they've been playing serious competition every week in the SEC.

No more soft then Big 10 competition and everyone loves Dan Conner (who I'm not high on).

I like Mayo or Goff as better MLB's then Dan Conner just because I know they've been playing serious competition every week in the SEC.

funny you mentioned Connor because I have the same concern about the Big-10 that I do for the PAC-10.

SEC competition is a great benchmark. But in that war zone it's not always easy to come out unscathed.

BTW.... I'm advocating a move up to #6 if necessary to get Ellis.

I would love to get Ellis but there is no gaurantee hes even there if we only trade up a few spots

To be clear... if he's there at #6... find a way to move up.

What's it cost on that value chart to go from 10 to 6 anyway?

anyone?

I don't know why that's true, but I know that it is. A lot of people can bench 400, 500 though is unusual, and to my mind, utterly impressive.

It doesn't mean you're a better football player than somebody who benches 'just' 400 though.

I like Ellis and I think that unless we trade down, the only real value at the top of the draft defensively is D-line. So move up or move down - impact d-lineman or LB/S/CB and extra picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom