Isn’t it strange no new Covid cases? (1 Viewer)

Both Arians and Payton have said that their teams were 100% vaccinated. So I’m failing to see your context
That's clearly not true...see Antonio Brown and at least 2 other Bucs suspended for fake vax cards. Clearly there are players who are unvaccinated for both the Bucs and Saints. That's been a topic of discussion for much of the season.

But in a thread about no new Covid cases..the context is quite obvious here.

Kind of hard to just outright ignore that information in this kind of discussion. I think it's possible to cite basic data, like estimated rates of effectiveness, without having to go down the rabbit hole of the vaccine debate.

Totally agree...I mean, where exactly are we when simple facts illicit a response that implies a debate is at hand somehow.....SMFH....

The NFL is not going to let Covid ruin the playoffs and Superbowl.

The pessimist in me believes this to be true....

The NFL is not going to let Covid ruin the playoffs and Superbowl.
Probably, but it's a lot easier now that required quarantine is 5 days and iirc they changed their testing policies. Also, clearly, a lot of teams have already dealt with Covid outbreaks and it's not likely they would see another one like what happened before because most would have already been exposed and built some level of resistance to the virus, even if only temporarily.

That's clearly not true...see Antonio Brown and at least 2 other Bucs suspended for fake vax cards. Clearly there are players who are unvaccinated for both the Bucs and Saints. That's been a topic of discussion for much of the season.

But in a thread about no new Covid cases..the context is quite obvious here.
I’m sorry…I guess I’m just not understanding how vaccination rates are important to this discussion. It’s not like players just rushed out and got vaccinated this week. And there’s also no evidence that the playoff teams have higher vaccination rates than those that missed the playoffs.

Probably, but it's a lot easier now that required quarantine is 5 days and iirc they changed their testing policies. Also, clearly, a lot of teams have already dealt with Covid outbreaks and it's not likely they would see another one like what happened before because most would have already been exposed and built some level of resistance to the virus, even if only temporarily.
I think some coaches will tell their teams they have to be extra cautious this year. If we were in the hunt, I'm sure Payton would warn players about locking down their households (if you don't live here you can't come in my house, mask protocols, etc.).

I’m sorry…I guess I’m just not understanding how vaccination rates are important to this discussion. It’s not like players just rushed out and got vaccinated this week. And there’s also no evidence that the playoff teams have higher vaccination rates than those that missed the playoffs.
*Sigh* No one suggested that though. You're either ignoring or misconstrued DavidM's point, which was simply that vaccinated players likely were not on those lists because being vaccinated, they're less likely to test positive. It's not a stretch to postulate that could be why some players haven't yet tested positive this season.

He's essentially saying it shouldn't be surprising that some percentage of players haven't yet tested positive and it's not some sort of conspiracy that the league is suddenly not testing players in the playoffs.

I see clearly the dots connected here. If you can't see that, then I can't help that. The context seems obvious to me, but to each his own I guess.

Last edited:
I think some coaches will tell their teams they have to be extra cautious this year. If we were in the hunt, I'm sure Payton would warn players about locking down their households (if you don't live here you can't come in my house, mask protocols, etc.).
Absolutely. And that is the coach's job. To make sure their players are ready to play. And that certainly means coaches will require players to protect themselves at all costs during the playoffs. So, that emphasis would probably help in reducing the number of players across the league getting infected, along with the reduced vectors for spread discussed earlier.

My role in this was to link to estimates about vaccine *effectiveness* rates, which is different than vaccine rates. In trying to understand why some players aren’t testing positive, I don’t know how that can possibly be ignored, nor why anybody would want to.

The 70% might be optimistic with Omicron, but then it wasn’t claimed that’s a hard data point, by me or in the article.

If somebody wants to argue that vaccines don’t work at all, that’s ignoring a lot of research and actual experience. Vaccines are providing some level of protection, which was the point and relates to the topic. If somebody wants to argue that vaccines are bad, government policy is bad, or whatever else, that really is for another discussion on another board.

What I posted wasn’t a blanket statement about all things vaccine or evangelizing that people go get vaccinated.

My role in this was to link to estimates about vaccine *effectiveness* rates, which is different than vaccine rates. In trying to understand why some players aren’t testing positive, I don’t know how that can possibly be ignored, nor why anybody would want to.

The 70% might be optimistic with Omicron, but then it wasn’t claimed that’s a hard data point, by me or in the article.

If somebody wants to argue that vaccines don’t work at all, that’s ignoring a lot of research and actual experience. Vaccines are providing some level of protection, which was the point and relates to the topic. If somebody wants to argue that vaccines are bad, government policy is bad, or whatever else, that really is for another discussion on another board.

What I posted wasn’t a blanket statement about all things vaccine or evangelizing that people go get vaccinated.
You are in fact the only one arguing vaccine effectiveness or ineffectiveness on this thread. But again…I don’t understand how the discussion is important in the context of the OP. Is your argument that we are having fewer positive tests because of high vaccination rates?

You are in fact the only one arguing vaccine effectiveness or ineffectiveness on this thread. But again…I don’t understand how the discussion is important in the context of the OP. Is your argument that we are having fewer positive tests because of high vaccination rates?

Do you think the estimated effectiveness of vaccines is unimportant in understanding why many players (and people, generally) haven’t tested positive?

Do you think the estimated effectiveness of vaccines is unimportant in understanding why many players (and people, generally) haven’t tested positive?
That’s not how this works. You don’t get my answer without me getting your answer. I’m not trying to argue with you. I just don’t understand the point you’re trying to make in the context with the OP

That’s not how this works. You don’t get my answer with me getting your answer

I had already stated my position in a couple of posts. I fail to see the controversy in my comments that you do, and you haven’t offered counterpoints. So, I’m not actually here to sit politely for your questioning.

If you don’t think vaccines help limit infection and spread, say so, and we can move on. If you do think they lower infection rates, what is the disagreement?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom