Jersey Number Shakeup 2024 (2 Viewers)

Not even for kickers? I seem to remember Garo Yepremian wearing 1. There have been some past anomalies. For instance, Jim Otto wore 00 as a center while Charley Conerly wore 42 as a QB and RB Johnny Olszewski wore 0. That’s during the late 1950s.

Nonetheless , I hate most of the number changes. It’s just confusing when so-called non-skill players wear single digits and numbers between 10 and 49.
Sorry, was referring to CBs (Kool Aid).

What are you referring to? I was talking about both Saunders and koolaid. But never the less it’s about how many jerseys they have made with the old number in stock basically for league approval.
That is what I was talking about. Neither have worn those numbers before in the regular season (#50 and #34) so there are none to buy back. Regardless, not sure if companies with NFL licensing would have manufactured a lot (if any) Saunders' Saints jerseys last season and if so, I assume Young would have bought them up as part of agreement to get #99 from Saunders.

Numbering conventions as we’ve long understood them were set into place in 1973. There have been minor tweaks but the modifications that went into effect in 2021 are the most significant changes by far.
True dat … but those “minor tweaks” actually played a pretty big role for WRs and DLs …

Another change occurred in 2004, when the NFL allowed wide receivers to wear numbers 10–19 in addition to the 80–89 range; this was due to several NFL teams retiring 80-range numbers, as well as teams employing more receivers and tight ends in their offense.[3] Since 2010, defensive linemen are allowed to wear numbers 50–59; this is in part because of the interchangeability of linebackers and defensive ends (a defensive end in a 4–3 defense would be an outside linebacker in a 3–4 defense). In 2015, the NFL Competition Committee allowed linebackers to wear numbers from 40–49.[4]

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: RJS
Not even for kickers? I seem to remember Garo Yepremian wearing 1. There have been some past anomalies. For instance, Jim Otto wore 00 as a center while Charley Conerly wore 42 as a QB and RB Johnny Olszewski wore 0. That’s during the late 1950s.

Nonetheless , I hate most of the number changes. It’s just confusing when so-called non-skill players wear single digits and numbers between 10 and 49.
Don’t forget Kenny Burrough #00 😜

That is what I was talking about. Neither have worn those numbers before in the regular season (#50 and #34) so there are none to buy back. Regardless, not sure if companies with NFL licensing would have manufactured a lot (if any) Saunders' Saints jerseys last season and if so, I assume Young would have bought them up as part of agreement to get #99 from Saunders.
Yeah I already spoke to and joked about that, the number for Saunders jersey may be small. However It’s not as simple as just changing numbers whenever you feel like it is the point. And koolaid is a different situation however the fact regular season hasn’t started yet means nothing. It’s all about how many outstanding jerseys they have in existence. Again we’re talking about a DT and a rookie corner so very small numbers but these are actualities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom