N/S Justin Fields traded to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick (2 Viewers)

So... Between him AND Russell Wilson, the steelers are paying about 2.8 million for the 2024 season, if I read it right.

That leaves them a BUNCH of money to put quality players around two very serviceable QBs.

Dang.
Fields’s is $3.23 million. Wilson is $1.8M.

These are bargain basement QBs. Maybe it works out, but it could also leave them with nothing at the position.

It’s time to accept the fact that the QB who threw for 3900 yards, 25 TDs, 8INTs, 68% completion, and a 98 rating is your starter because he actually earned the role, no matter how bad you think he is in your head.

It’s also time to accept that there’s nothing weird or wrong about the team not trading random picks for bust first rounders to come compete with him.
Did you read or just pump up your thoughts? I never said Carr was not the clear starter. What I SAID was it appears he is treating him with kid gloves by ensuring he is not threatened by anyone that could even possibly threaten him. I honestly think he does not want Carr to be subjected to fans and media calling for the backup if he should falter in the new offense.

Fields’s is $3.23 million. Wilson is $1.8M.

These are bargain basement QBs. Maybe it works out, but it could also leave them with nothing at the position.
For less than an average backup, they have 2 shots to make it work. One is only 25 and is a very low risk proposition. If it does not work out and, as you say, leaves them with nothing at the position, what have they lost? A 6th? They would then be bad enough to be in a position to draft a QB. They would not be tied to an average QB on a huge contract trying to make it work.

M
Did you read or just pump up your thoughts? I never said Carr was not the clear starter. What I SAID was it appears he is treating him with kid gloves by ensuring he is not threatened by anyone that could even possibly threaten him. I honestly think he does not want Carr to be subjected to fans and media calling for the backup if he should falter in the new offense.
Agreed and I mentioned that in another thread. The Peterman signing was about not having a threat to DC4 (competition wise) and for 🦌 to not be less liked than the backup QB. No one would ever think Peterman would be a viable option to take the place of any starter in the league and he was clearly not brought in for what he has done so far in the league.

For less than an average backup, they have 2 shots to make it work. One is only 25 and is a very low risk proposition. If it does not work out and, as you say, leaves them with nothing at the position, what have they lost? A 6th? They would then be bad enough to be in a position to draft a QB. They would not be tied to an average QB on a huge contract trying to make it work.
12 months from now they could be in position to select the next Kenny Pickett and start the process all over again. ;)

Seriously though, There's rumors floating around that they will extend Russ. It will be interesting to see Denver's path forward. Apparently Sean didn't think too much of Fields.

If you genuinely believe that having Fields on this roster would threaten Derek Carr you don't know football.

Should what’s on tape threaten Carr? No.

But if you don’t think there would at least be pressure there to play a recent first round pick with exciting running ability and whom the team just traded for, at the moment Carr hits a slump, which he inevitably will, then you aren’t paying close enough attention to the NFL.

Last edited:
The point was that if it doesn’t work, and the odds are against it, they’ll have *no* QB. Sucking to then draft a QB doesn’t make them geniuses.

The description of Carr is overwrought. He played well last year, steadily improved, and won more games than he lost. He’s being treated like any other QB in that position.

Last edited:
My reply was specifically about the idea that we are “treating him with kid gloves.” He earned the starting job after last year. It is not unusual or babying him to not waste resources to have an open competition with some busted former first rounder. We are treating him like a normal starting QB.

$3.23M may not sound like much, but it could be the difference between having to do another bad restructure or standing pat with the cap for next season given we still have other guys to sign and a rookie class coming.

The point was that if it doesn’t work, and the odds are against it, they’ll have *no* QB. Sucking to then draft a QB doesn’t make them geniuses.

The description of Carr is overwrought. He played well last year, steadily improved, and won more games than he lost.

Yet you keep talking like he won five games and threw as many INTs as TDs.

I couldn't disagree more, he didn't play "well".....he had a statistically good year much as Andy Dalton did last year. He was inconsistent and if you look at his performances against teams that made the playoffs? Not very good....

He did well against the lesser teams and average - poor against the better teams, he certainly didn't make a difference on a team with the weakest schedule in the weakest division in the NFL.....he was far from the only problem but he was part of it.....

That said, I'm not saying he won't play better with a better offensive coaching staff which many believe we now have, so we will see what happens this year.....

BUT....Anyone who thinks he had a "good" year last year is delusional....IMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom