N/S Justin Fields traded to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick (1 Viewer)

So, you are going to celebrate a 9-8 record with the weakest schedule we will probably ever see in the worst division in the NFL? That's what I mean by context, it's totally absent.....see below because DA and Carr supporters hate when you bring logic/context into the discussion because all the excuses, even enough to fill the Mariana trench (thanks to whomever used this first, it's fitting) can't change the reality of last year, it was a disaster.....

I don't hate Carr or DA, that's the twist, I hope they prove me wrong this year, but I'm not about to sugar coat or explain away the absolute failure of a season that was last year.....bringing reality into an argument makes one a "hater" I guess.....
I think giving DA and Carr a mulligan and seeing how they do next season with a different offensive scheme and hopefully more weapons on offense is reasonable. Saying it’s all a wash because of last season is an overreaction. If you’re going to be that down on the two then at least give your alternative. Do you really think we would have been better with Justin Fields over Carr?

I think it happened twice, and once was being asked about the boos. What was Allen supposed to say? That he sucks? Carr silenced the boos with his play on the field. That's how it should be.

This is the shiny object thing I'm talking about. Fields is an athlete, but he's a well below-average QB. He's not beating out Carr in any situation this year, much less in a Kubiak system that relies on a high completion percentage and quick throws.

So what's the point? We trade a draft pick and pay more, possibly having to restructure another deal and kick the can again just to say we have an athlete with "potential" on the team for a single season? What is the payoff in that scenario? Zero chance we are picking up his $23 million 5th-year option so he's on the market again in 2025.

And 30 other teams in this league didn't bother to trade a conditional 6th-rounder for him either. Somewhere around 24 of those don't have upper-tier QBs. If Fields is such a great investment, why weren't people knocking down the door to pay a conditional 5th? Or a 4th straight-up? People overrate athletes. They always think they can fix them. It happens at nearly every position. NFL teams thought differently about Fields.

Peterman is a body. A vet who can stand on the sidelines, look at the iPad, make suggestions, and help relay communications. He's not meant to ever play. Haener is probably the starter if Carr misses any real time.
Again, for the 5th freaking time, no one said we should bring Fields in to take over the starting job. It would be to be a BACKUP and the team would have a year to assess whether they want to sign him going forward. After being a backup for a year, he will not get a huge extension (and if he did from someone else, we would settle for a decent comp pick). Exactly why would we have to restructure to pay a backup $2 million more than a player who cannot play football? Sometimes logic does not work with some who want to defend or glorify whatever the team does. And DA defended Carr throughout the entire season. I guess you do not recall him throwing Olave under the bus by name or Penning or ignoring how Carr incensed other players (Even McCoy who has never had to be held back from his QB before).

I think giving DA and Carr a mulligan and seeing how they do next season with a different offensive scheme and hopefully more weapons on offense is reasonable. Saying it’s all a wash because of last season is an overreaction. If you’re going to be that down on the two then at least give your alternative. Do you really think we would have been better with Justin Fields over Carr?
Which is crazy because in 2022, we blamed Winston and Dalton for our offensive issues. Now we are giving DA and Carr a mulligan to see how they do in a different offensive scheme and more weapons? For me, it's not about being down on those two as it is giving equal energy across the board.

I guess you do not recall him throwing Olave under the bus by name or Penning or ignoring how Carr incensed other players (Even McCoy who has never had to be held back from his QB before).
Honestly, it might have taken something like that happening to change it up. The team had zero fire the two seasons before Carr came. Sometimes a little conflict can make a team better if it helps them identify and solve issues. The offense clearly improved in the second half of the year so maybe all of the stuff you mentioned needed to happen. Maybe we needed to get rid of Thomas to get better. Carmichael too. I think you have to give it another year before giving up on Carr and DA.

Which is crazy because in 2022, we blamed Winston and Dalton for our offensive issues. Now we are giving DA and Carr a mulligan to see how they do in a different offensive scheme and more weapons? For me, it's not about being down on those two as it is giving equal energy across the board.
The difference is we saw improvement with Carr. I remember you saying you stopped watching the games at some point so you must have missed it.

Again, for the 5th freaking time, no one said we should bring Fields in to take over the starting job. It would be to be a BACKUP and the team would have a year to assess whether they want to sign him going forward. After being a backup for a year, he will not get a huge extension (and if he did from someone else, we would settle for a decent comp pick). Exactly why would we have to restructure to pay a backup $2 million more than a player who cannot play football? Sometimes logic does not work with some who want to defend or glorify whatever the team does. And DA defended Carr throughout the entire season. I guess you do not recall him throwing Olave under the bus by name or Penning or ignoring how Carr incensed other players (Even McCoy who has never had to be held back from his QB before).
Fine. You want him as a backup. And I don't think it makes much sense for the reasons I explained. That 30 other teams passed on him for a late-round conditional pick too says I'm at least not insane. We just disagree.

The difference is we saw improvement with Carr. I remember you saying you stopped watching the games at some point so you must have missed it.
Find where I said that. I might have missed a game or 2 here but I watched the replays the next day.
Also, Carr improved because Sneaky Pete had to simplify the offense for him. We had to do things like increase play-action and motion. So of course you will see improvement. Winston on had a limited off season and 3 games to run Pete's offense and we didn't see any modification throughout the season to make it better with Dalton. So again, same energy...

Find where I said that. I might have missed a game or 2 here but I watched the replays the next day.
Also, Carr improved because Sneaky Pete had to simplify the offense for him. We had to do things like increase play-action and motion. So of course you will see improvement. Winston on had a limited off season and 3 games to run Pete's offense and we didn't see any modification throughout the season to make it better with Dalton. So again, same energy...
Play action and motion is not simplifying the offense. It’s something all NFL teams with an offense worth anything know how to do and do it well.

No one is asking for a mulligan. The season is what it was in its totality. Slightly better than average but not good enough.

Carr threw 16 TDs and 3 INTs in the last six games. He legitimately improved in a way Dalton/Winston never came close to doing. On the one hand, people tell me stats don't matter, and then they want to suggest Carr and Dalton had comparable stats. They didn't. Carr was far better over the course of the full season. The numbers weren't even that close.

So you go into next year with a 33-year-old QB who played his best ball in the second-half of the season with the most pressure (mental) he had felt all year. And I'm supposed to be down or giving mulligans over that? No, it's a start to build on.

Last edited:
Also, Carr improved because Sneaky Pete had to simplify the offense for him. We had to do things like increase play-action and motion. So of course you will see improvement.
We had to do things that every successful offense does before Carr played his best? Well, yeah...lol.

So do those things again.

Play action and motion is not simplifying the offense. It’s something all NFL teams with an offense worth anything know how to do and do it well.
I didn't say play-action simplified the offense. Motion actually simplifies certain things but Pete Carmichael said that he had to simplify the offense for Carr. We, as fans who watched the games, saw and noticed things that Carr wasn't good at in this offense. One of those things was true progressions. If you look at the later games, we see more "simplified" reads and after the blowup on the field with McCoy, we found out that McCoy actually calls protections but Carr has the "override." After that, we actually saw Carr doing less at the line of scrimmage.

I've always been an advocate for more play-action in our offense because we actually had the best QB in the league in running-play action and Sean Payton realized that. Pete Carmichael; not as much. As it relates to motion, we should have run in a lot more with Dalton, but we left the offense as is, while blaming the QBs for the state of the offense. :shrug:

I didn't say play-action simplified the offense. Motion actually simplifies certain things but Pete Carmichael said that he had to simplify the offense for Carr. We, as fans who watched the games, saw and noticed things that Carr wasn't good at in this offense. One of those things was true progressions. If you look at the later games, we see more "simplified" reads and after the blowup on the field with McCoy, we found out that McCoy actually calls protections but Carr has the "override." After that, we actually saw Carr doing less at the line of scrimmage.

I've always been an advocate for more play-action in our offense because we actually had the best QB in the league in running-play action and Sean Payton realized that. Pete Carmichael; not as much. As it relates to motion, we should have run in a lot more with Dalton, but we left the offense as is, while blaming the QBs for the state of the offense. :shrug:
Honestly if you watched the entire season and think the passing game was the biggest problem, you lose me because our running game was terrible and that’s why they brought in Kubiak.

It makes ZERO sense to bring in a backup that doesn't fit the system being installed. End thread.

No one is asking for a mulligan. The season is what it was in its totality. Slightly better than average but not good enough.

Carr threw 16 TDs and 3 INTs in the last six games. He legitimately improved in a way Dalton/Winston never came close to doing. On the one hand, people tell me stats don't matter, and then they want to say Carr was comparable to Dalton. He wasn't. Carr was far better over the course of the full season. The numbers weren't even that close.

So you go into next year with a 33-year-old QB who played his best ball in the second-half of the season with the most pressure (mental) he had felt all year. And I'm supposed to be down or giving mulligans over that? No, it just is what it is. It has to get at least one more win better to make the playoffs.
What way could Winston improve when he only got 3 games? And Carr was NOT better than Dalton over the course of the season. He was only better over the last 5 games. Both didn't fare well against good teams.

We had to do things that every successful offense does before Carr played his best? Well, yeah...lol.

So do those things again.
But when we didn't do that the year prior, we put all of the blame of Dalton and Winston, yet we want to say "Carr is better." I'm glad we made those modifications because Carr played better. But I'm not going to just heap praise on him when the coaching staff didn't do crap the year before.

Honestly if you watched the entire season and think the passing game was the biggest problem, you lose me because our running game was terrible and that’s why they brought in Kubiak.
Honestly, if you watched 2022 and you thought the passing game was the biggest problem, you lost me. But those are conversations that we avoid..lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom