N/S Justin Fields traded to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick (1 Viewer)

It makes ZERO sense to bring in a backup that doesn't fit the system being installed. End thread.
Agreed. I think Pittsburg, Philly, or Baltimore would have been the best places for field to go, as the latter 2 match his skillset the best and he gets good coaching with the Steelers.

Honestly, if you watched 2022 and you thought the passing game was the biggest problem, you lost me. But those are conversations that we avoid..lol
2022 is too long ago for me to care to be honest. The team and coaching staff is completely different now, and i think it’s better.

Honestly, if you watched 2022 and you thought the passing game was the biggest problem, you lost me. But those are conversations that we avoid..lol
I've mentioned this before but this board overwhelmingly wanted Pete gone following the 2022 season.. they announced he was coming back and we were all pretty shocked but then we signed Carr and most people hoped for the best from there.. but I'd say most everyone except Loomis and DA realized that Pete was not the answer a couple of years ago.

2022 is too long ago for me to care to be honest. The team and coaching staff is completely different now, and i think it’s better.
I think it is better now, as well; we should have invested in that for 2023, or letter Curry called plays while him and Pete worked on design.

I've mentioned this before but this board overwhelmingly wanted Pete gone following the 2022 season.. they announced he was coming back and we were all pretty shocked but then we signed Carr and most people hoped for the best from there.. but I'd say most everyone except Loomis and DA realized that Pete was not the answer a couple of years ago.
I also remember the discussion around Dalton and Winston holding back Pete's playcalling and how he can now open up the playbook and introduce "motion" into the offense and how we won't have any issue with the O-line because of Carr's pre-snap ability and how Kamara will be a world beater in the pass game. We flipped when the narrative went back the previous season's QBs until we could no longer deny what we were seeing with a 3rd QB. I think Pete is great with play design; play-calling would have been better served by Curry but we didn't go that direction, for whatever reason.

I also remember the discussion around Dalton and Winston holding back Pete's playcalling and how he can now open up the playbook and introduce "motion" into the offense and how we won't have any issue with the O-line because of Carr's pre-snap ability and how Kamara will be a world beater in the pass game. We flipped when the narrative went back the previous season's QBs until we could no longer deny what we were seeing with a 3rd QB. I think Pete is great with play design; play-calling would have been better served by Curry but we didn't go that direction, for whatever reason.
Yeah there was some of that and I definitely have posts from back then saying that it made no sense to me that Jameis and Dalton were incapable of running an offense that included motion and play action. I think I probably phrased it as "cautious optimism" or "believe it when I see it" heading into 2023 with the signing of Carr and what that supposedly would do for the offense.

Some people fully bought in to that narrative I'm sure but I think the majority of us were probably still unconvinced based upon Pete's poor performance in 2022.

What way could Winston improve when he only got 3 games? And Carr was NOT better than Dalton over the course of the season. He was only better over the last 5 games. Both didn't fare well against good teams.
Read what you wrote again. You say Carr was not better "over the course of the season"...except he was better over the course of the season (far better in fact) because those last six games count. The course of a season is the entire season. Dalton threw 4 TDs over his last six games. Carr threw 16. One got worse and the other got better.

I'm shocked this is even an argument.
But when we didn't do that the year prior, we put all of the blame of Dalton and Winston, yet we want to say "Carr is better." I'm glad we made those modifications because Carr played better. But I'm not going to just heap praise on him when the coaching staff didn't do crap the year before.
Winston and Dalton had their chances, if not with fully with us, then with other teams. Winston had a chance to seize the moment last year and didn't, including with a 17-0 lead against Green Bay, a pretty perfect situation to come in and get a win. He didn't do it. He's gone. Time to let it go.

Yeah there was some of that and I definitely have posts from back then saying that it made no sense to me that Jameis and Dalton were incapable of running an offense that included motion and play action. I think I probably phrased it as "cautious optimism" or "believe it when I see it" heading into 2023 with the signing of Carr and what that supposedly would do for the offense.

Some people fully bought in to that narrative I'm sure but I think the majority of us were probably still unconvinced based upon Pete's poor performance in 2022.
@jahsoul357 lol.. https://saintsreport.com/threads/sa...t-offensive-tweaks.491916/page-5#post-9206244

It makes ZERO sense to bring in a backup that doesn't fit the system being installed. End thread.
Unfortunately that didn’t end the thread, but Ian Rapaport has reported that Justin Fields preferred to be traded to the Steelers, and the team chose to do right by him over going for as much as they could maybe have gotten by trading him elsewhere.

Even that news won’t stop members of this board from saying “we shoulda got him to be a backup for the same price, Loomis and Allen have lost the team and nobody wants to play here :smashfreakb:

I was cautiously optimistic about this season because I felt DA would go above and beyond to make sure we were successful and had us going 10-7, making the playoffs. With Kubiak, I feel we can get 11-12 wins but it will also be determined on Carr picking up the playbook.

For a 6th? I don't see any downside to have signed Fields as our backup/let's evaluate you for a year QB.

The kid could be our next Taysom to a certain extent. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

I doubt Fields envisions himself playing the "Taysom" role. If he did, he may could have stayed in Chicago. They are on record having interviewed a rookie draft prospect (Quincy Patterson, II) about playing the "Taysom" role. It appears that the Bears (as well as other teams) would like to have a player that can fill that role. Fields appears to have a similar skill set as Hill. That doesn't mean he has the mental desire to play that role, at least not with the Bears.

Now, we may see a number of designed plays from the Steelers that use Fields in run/pass option plays. That is about as far as you can expect to see Fields used in a comparable way to Taysom Hill. You won't see Fields playing special teams or blocking from the TE position. There's only 1 TH7.

Winston and Dalton had their chances, if not with fully with us, then with other teams. Winston had a chance to seize the moment last year and didn't, including with a 17-0 lead against Green Bay, a pretty perfect situation to come in and get a win. He didn't do it. He's gone. Time to let it go.
Exactly. I think you said it earlier, but If Carr finished that GB game and didn’t get injured, we probably start 3-0 and the season would have been way different.

I doubt Fields envisions himself playing the "Taysom" role. If he did, he may could have stayed in Chicago. They are on record having interviewed a rookie draft prospect (Quincy Patterson, II) about playing the "Taysom" role. It appears that the Bears (as well as other teams) would like to have a player that can fill that role. Fields appears to have a similar skill set as Hill. That doesn't mean he has the mental desire to play that role, at least not with the Bears.

Now, we may see a number of designed plays from the Steelers that use Fields in run/pass option plays. That is about as far as you can expect to see Fields used in a comparable way to Taysom Hill. You won't see Fields playing special teams or blocking from the TE position. There's only 1 TH7.
Yep, Taysom is a football player..lol. I don't see Fields coming close to all of the things that Taysom can do on the field. It's going to be interesting to see what Williams actually does because highlights show one thing; film shows another.

Exactly. I think you said it earlier, but If Carr finished that GB game and didn’t get injured, we probably start 3-0 and the season would have been way different.
Considering that was a defensive collapse and 10 points came from special teams, we may never know. Truth is, the season would have been way different if we beat the Bucs the next week, as well.

Yep, Taysom is a football player..lol. I don't see Fields coming close to all of the things that Taysom can do on the field. It's going to be interesting to see what Williams actually does because highlights show one thing; film shows another.

Considering that was a defensive collapse and 10 points came from special teams, we may never know. Truth is, the season would have been way different if we beat the Bucs the next week, as well.
Which Williams are you speaking of?

Stats don't lie...

Carr career record 72-87 and 0-1 in the playoffs.

Allen career HC record 24-46 and 16-18 with the Saints.
Career 0-0 in playoffs.

No stat-lighting here.

You are what your record says you are, when you've had this many games. It's not hate, just factual to say these guys are below average, and it shows alot. DA is a DC, not a head coach. Carr is a paycheck QB.

What might cheer me up is if we get Brock Bowers or somehow Michael Penix, at least for the next head coach. I will not be happy if we draft defense or O-Line with the first pick. Go get a guy who has the IT factor and can give the fans a reason to be hopeful.

I don't care about Justin Fields. He was never coming here, even for a 7th. He's still young so I hope he gets better. The spouse is a Buckeye so we do root for the Bucks, Horns, and the Green Wave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom