N/S Justin Fields traded to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick (1 Viewer)

I went to the UH/Louisville game Lamar’s senior year. He had zero pass protection. So…yeah i watch college football. If Lamar had played at Ohio State with Chris Olave and Garret Wilson with a running game and protection he would have proven himself to be better than Fields.
No you didn't; that was Lamar's sophomore season..lol. But in all seriousness, from the standpoint of actually throwing the ball, mechanics, touch, arm strength, etc, Fields was seen better in that regard, while Jackson was seen as more of a project.

I wouldn't say much better passer. Lamar led the ACC in passing yards his final year in Louisville, absolutely unbelieveable rushing stats notwithstanding. The fact he fell so far in the draft is crazy. I really thought when I saw we traded up to 14 that year we were taking him. But *sigh* we obviously didn't.

If anything Fields benefitted in the draft from having a QB like Lamar having so much success in the league. Also worth stating that the Ravens changed their whole offensive scheme to fit Lamar's game, something the Bears never really did for Fields. But it's been three years with Fields as starter and he hasn't shown anything that suggests he can be the guy.
From purely passing, they thought that Fields was raw but more fundamentally sound. He fell as far as he did because he was seen as a much better runner than he was passer. I never saw Lamar Jackson coming to NO because the offense was still going to be aging Drew's offense and would have probably been used in Taysom packages.

But I agree that Fields benefitted from LJ's success. Unfortunately for him, he was drafted to Chicago instead of a team that would build around what he do. They put that man in a WCO variant and had him backing up Dalton..lol

if Carr were to go down then NO is likely done anyway
This is true with most teams. Very few make it with a backup QB. Last year Minnesota was starting to get on a roll when Cousins went down, they won 3 games after that. (One was against us😕)

This is true with most teams. Very few make it with a backup QB. Last year Minnesota was starting to get on a roll when Cousins went down, they won 3 games after that. (One was against us😕)
That's a sign of bad coaching/preparation. It could be argued Joe Burrow playing hurt killed the Bengals chances of making the playoffs, Browns makes the playoffs with Joe Flacco off the couch, Steelers finished the season with Mason Rudolph going 3-0 to make the playoffs. Crap, the times Drew went down, we were set and ready to go with backups.

No you didn't; that was Lamar's sophomore season..lol. But in all seriousness, from the standpoint of actually throwing the ball, mechanics, touch, arm strength, etc, Fields was seen better in that regard, while Jackson was seen as more of a project.
Scouts (and you ) can be wrong. Jackson clearly is better than Fields and it has nothing to do with coaching.

Scouts (and you ) can be wrong. Jackson clearly is better than Fields and it has nothing to do with coaching.
This was more than scouts. The general consensus coming out of college was Lamar Jackson was a way better runner than he was a passer. I gave you quotes from an article saying that Harbaugh changed offensive coordinator and completely tore down the offense to build around Lamar Jackson's strengths. Crap, it quoted Harbaugh. If you didn't know, Marty Mornhinweg's background is Walsh's WCO tree (he was under Holmgren). Jackson is way more dynamic with his legs than Fields but as I mentioned, coming out of college, Fields was the better passer. Nothing is wrong with acknowledging this and there is a reason why a WCO based offensive coordinator had to go and they brought in one more versed with RPO. Pulling this back up......

LJoffense1.PNG

LJoffense2.PNG

What are you even arguing against when it is there in black and white, while quoting the coach who implemented the changes...

And to show you what the first sentence mean in that quote....

2018 ravens.PNG

Lamar Jackson replacing Flacco boosted the run offense while the pass offense tanked. They changed the offense to balance it out and build the pass game around what LJ does best.

Last edited:
This was more than scouts. The general consensus coming out of college was Lamar Jackson was a way better runner than he was a passer. I gave you quotes from an article saying that Harbaugh changed offensive coordinator and completely tore down the offense to build around Lamar Jackson's strengths. Crap, it quoted Harbaugh. If you didn't know, Marty Mornhinweg's background is Walsh's WCO tree (he was under Holmgren). Jackson is way more dynamic with his legs than Fields but as I mentioned, coming out of college, Fields was the better passer.
Maybe Fields looked like a better passer because he had Olave, Wilson, and Smith Njigba. Consensus was wrong. Lamar has a different throwing style but who cares as long as the ball gets to where it needs to go.

According to consensus, Brees was too small with a weak arm. Consensus gets it wrong all the time.

Maybe Fields looked like a better passer because he had Olave, Wilson, and Smith Njigba. Consensus was wrong. Lamar has a different throwing style but who cares as long as the ball gets to where it needs to go.
They weren't talking about the results from passing. They were talking about mechanics, placement, and arm strength.
According to consensus, Brees was too small with a weak arm. Consensus gets it wrong all the time.
And it took him going to a team where he had a coach that built around him for his Hall of Fame talent to show....

BreesandPayton.PNG

That is if you want to believe Drew's words about CSP building the offense around him and his strengths.

They weren't talking about the results from passing. They were talking about mechanics, placement, and arm strength.

And it took him going to a team where he had a coach that built around him for his Hall of Fame talent to show....

BreesandPayton.PNG

That is if you want to believe Drew's words about CSP building the offense around him and his strengths.
Lol so it’s Pete’s fault that Jameis couldn’t start but he gets praise for drawing up plays for Brees? Brees would have been great wherever he went. He just had the drive and incredible skill.

Lol so it’s Pete’s fault that Jameis couldn’t start but he gets praise for drawing up plays for Brees? Brees would have been great wherever he went. He just had the drive and incredible skill.
Drew Brees exceeded everything that he did in San Diego his first season here. He also had time to grow in this system. And helping design plays and building around a player are 2 different things.

Also, who said anything about Jameis?

Drew Brees exceeded everything that he did in San Diego his first season here. He also had time to grow in this system. And helping design plays and building around a player are 2 different things.

Also, who said anything about Jameis?
Everyone knows you are Jameis biggest defender on here and that you hated Carmichael. That’s what the poster was talking about earlier when he mentioned you using Fields situation as a strawman to make the same argument that a bad QB would be great with good coaching.

Last edited:
Fields wouldn't come close to beating out Carr. It'd be a waste of a draft pick and cap space for a one-year rental for a player who doesn't fit the system.

Look at the QBs Kubiak has worked with. They are all high-completion percentage guys who thrive on play-action. Fields is the opposite of that.
Seriously

We’d be better off drafting 3 depth players in the 5th at needed positions than a one year rental backup QB.

Draft Joe Milton with one of those 5ths if that would satisfy some people’s wants for a physical freak/bad passer at QB.

Everyone knows you are Jameis biggest defender on here and that you hated Carmichael. That’s what the poster was talking about earlier when he mentioned you using Fields situation as a strawman to make the same argument. Bad QB would be great with good coaching.
And then they immediately got an elbow from the top rope when I showed, what these kids call it today, receipts that I know what I'm talking about. If you have noticed, he hasn't responded since that post because what he is going to say when the head coach is quoted in an article saying that he tore down and offense and built one up specifically for Lamar Jackson. And in incorrectly stating that I was using a strawman, he created a red herring fallacy and you went with it while he exited the thread because he has zero facts to stand on. And now you are attempting to introduce another by bringing up Sneaky Pete..lol.

And no, I don't hate Sneaky Pete; just don't think he was ready to be a true OC. He is better at play design.

And then they immediately got an elbow from the top rope when I showed, what these kids call it today, receipts that I know what I'm talking about. If you have noticed, he hasn't responded since that post because what he is going to say when the head coach is quoted in an article saying that he tore down and offense and built one up specifically for Lamar Jackson. And in incorrectly stating that I was using a strawman, he created a red herring fallacy and you went with it while he exited the thread because he has zero facts to stand on. And now you are attempting to introduce another by bringing up Sneaky Pete..lol.

And no, I don't hate Sneaky Pete; just don't think he was ready to be a true OC. He is better at play design.
Justin Fields is not a viable starter in this league. Trading Fields for a 6th round pick says it all. Maybe he proves me wrong, but the fact is as of now is that he’s too inconsistent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom