K Wil Lutz traded to the Broncos for a 2024 7th round pick (3 Viewers)

This will be painful. I am pretty sure that every time Grupe misses a kick, Lutz will have an All-Pro week in Denver.

This was pretty much a Sophie's Choice situation, with no good answer.
Lutz has to be ecstatic to be kicking in the Denver air.

DA will ruin this team and we will lose a horrible division smfh.

GO HOME ROGER!

I like it. Grupe missed a really long FG. So has Lutz in the past. Grupe made a game winning kick in preseason, granted not a real game but still a similar situation. I'm just happy that Grupe doesn't have the line drive kick problem that Lutz use to have. Remember how many kicks he would have blocked and he even had one blocked this preseason but got bailed out by a penalty. Grupe has a strong leg and good accuracy. We've had way worse in recent years before Lutz.

Dang it. I hope Grupe can handle the duties when the real games start.
It's a fair concern, but I could argue that it's also fair to be concerned that Lutz dropped off last year. Yes, he said it was just mental issues and that he's past that now but of course he's going to say that. And kicker is BY FAR the NFL position with the greatest variance and possibility of a player suddenly getting the yips. Olindo Mare had an excellent career as a kicker, but for some reason the year we had him he was bad.

All we can do is hope for the best. The people who argued for Lutz may well be proved right, but I'm okay with giving Grupe a shot. Getting a draft pick of any kind for a kicker is a coup, IMO.

I think Lutz knew this was coming. During the game he had zero emotion. Almost like he was forced to work on his day off.

What did we get for him!! Hope we got a 6th, but more likely a 7th round choice!

Coming to Denver this fall, the word 'yips.'

I like it. Grupe missed a really long FG. So has Lutz in the past. Grupe made a game winning kick in preseason, granted not a real game but still a similar situation. I'm just happy that Grupe doesn't have the line drive kick problem that Lutz use to have. Remember how many kicks he would have blocked and he even had one blocked this preseason but got bailed out by a penalty. Grupe has a strong leg and good accuracy. We've had way worse in recent years before Lutz.
In 2016, we had three games where a blocked field goal or extra point was returned for a TD or 2-point conversion that was the difference in the game (NYG, CAR, DEN). *EDIT - The CAR return was not for a TD, but it was for 73 yards and clearly led to a CAR TD.

I'll give Lutz a pass on the DEN one that year b/c the guy stepped out of bounds on the return AND the dude who blocked it did the "leap over the line" maneuver that would be declared illegal the next year, but it sure seemed like the dude had more blocked kicks than most.

Last edited:
It's a fair concern, but I could argue that it's also fair to be concerned that Lutz dropped off last year. Yes, he said it was just mental issues and that he's past that now but of course he's going to say that. And kicker is BY FAR the NFL position with the greatest variance and possibility of a player suddenly getting the yips. Olindo Mare had an excellent career as a kicker, but for some reason the year we had him he was bad.

All we can do is hope for the best. The people who argued for Lutz may well be proved right, but I'm okay with giving Grupe a shot. Getting a draft pick of any kind for a kicker is a coup, IMO.
Maybe, but I prefer the proven over the unproven when both have performed similarly in preseason. Hope this is the right move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom