K Wil Lutz traded to the Broncos for a 2024 7th round pick (1 Viewer)

I like it. Grupe missed a really long FG. So has Lutz in the past. Grupe made a game winning kick in preseason, granted not a real game but still a similar situation. I'm just happy that Grupe doesn't have the line drive kick problem that Lutz use to have. Remember how many kicks he would have blocked and he even had one blocked this preseason but got bailed out by a penalty. Grupe has a strong leg and good accuracy. We've had way worse in recent years before Lutz.
Lutz has had failed mechanics the last few seasons and even when Payton got him from the Ravens it was something he had to fine tune that eventually came back to haunt him.

Seems like a financial decision more than anything.

Which makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised that Lutz in Denver ends up having a very successful 10 year run.

Coldest Game Winner Kicker we've ever had. Always struggle with no pressure kicks, tho.

Bw roby and lutz, we saved money. I think thats the bottom line

In 2016, we had three games where a blocked field goal or extra point was returned for a TD or 2-point conversion that was the difference in the game (NYG, CAR, DEN).

I'll give Lutz a pass on the DEN one that year b/c the guy stepped out of bounds on the return AND the dude who blocked it did the "leap over the line" maneuver that would be declared illegal the next year, but it sure seemed like the dude had more blocked kicks than most.
How many since his rookie season? He adjusted his approach later that year because he was approaching too slowly.

In 2016, we had three games where a blocked field goal or extra point was returned for a TD or 2-point conversion that was the difference in the game (NYG, CAR, DEN).

I'll give Lutz a pass on the DEN one that year b/c the guy stepped out of bounds on the return AND the dude who blocked it did the "leap over the line" maneuver that would be declared illegal the next year, but it sure seemed like the dude had more blocked kicks than most.
Yea and in recent years he has struggled with accuracy probably due to coming off of injury. Hopefully a fresh start for him and Saints in beneficial for both. Lutz will kick bombs in that altitude

This will be painful. I am pretty sure that every time Grupe misses a kick, Lutz will have an All-Pro week in Denver.

This was pretty much a Sophie's Choice situation, with no good answer.

Both kickers will miss kicks next season. Whichever one we chose was likely to have an embarrassing miss at some point. No matter who we chose, disappointment would come at some point.

Honestly, watching the way Grupe kicked, the way his kicks traveled, his mindset and confidence, and knowing his salary savings, not to mention this being Lutz’s last year under contract, I think we made the better choice.

How many since his rookie season? He adjusted his approach later that year because he was approaching too slowly.
Well just this preseason he had one blocked and got bailed out b/c a player not involved with the play was offside as he ran out of bounds.

Not sure of his career as a whole, but he had two last year.

Both kickers will miss kicks next season. Whichever one we chose was likely to have an embarrassing miss at some point. No matter who we chose, disappointment would come at some point.

Honestly, watching the way Grupe kicked, the way his kicks traveled, his mindset and confidence, and knowing his salary savings, not to mention this being Lutz’s last year under contract, I think we made the better choice.
Yep. No problem here.

I like Grupe. He's our kicker for the next 10 years.

Yeah, one downside to this kicker battle was whichever road we traveled whenever the guy we kept missed a kick, there would be a guaranteed contigent on the board arriving to point out that other guy made his kicks that week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom