Keeping Kubiak (Merged) (3 Viewers)

If the Saints miss playoffs this year or don’t show clear improvement (not saying they will but it’s a what if) DA is 100% fired. They will not get rid of Kubiak after 1 season. So there definitely is a path. You can just say it’s not likely.
that's not how it works. If you want a top tier hire, they are going to want to hire their own staff. And what if the new coach is an offensive coach.

Last edited:
It’s still way early but based on his time with the 49ers and his first week with the Saints how do you lock someone like him down. If he continues to build the offense this year to a top 5 and does it again nex year how do the Saints keep him? If the saints have a top 5 offense and make the playoffs it’s rightfully so securing Dennis Allen’s position as head coach. After last year with the 49ers and he has 2 good years with the Saints the Cowboys will come calling as well as a few other teams looking for an up and coming offensive mind.
I think you are missing the point. In most cases, most successful coordinators will leave for a head coach position. It is inevitable.

The important thing is to have a quality staff, to develop coaches and be able to give promotions to people that are familiar with the system, the team and the city.

To me, that is the most impressive thing about Shannahan, it seems obvious that the offense continue with coaches leaving, as he calls plays. He also has lost several defence coordinators and the results are more or less stable.

If the Saints miss playoffs this year or don’t show clear improvement (not saying they will but it’s a what if) DA is 100% fired. They will not get rid of Kubiak after 1 season. So there definitely is a path. You can just say it’s not likely.
Typically when a HC is fired, the entire coaching staff is fired. I would think the only exception would be if the offense plays lights out and the defense collapses. In my opinion, I think the Saints would have to have a losing season and/or have huge coaching blunders/bad decisions for Allen to be fired. It’s hard to fire a 9-8 coach, especially if there were injuries or bad luck that contributes to them missing the playoffs. The GM also deserves a lot of credit for this team, win or loss. Because of cap issues, the Saints really haven’t made any significant free agent acquisitions, and we gave up a high no 1 for Trevor Penning.
Now if Loomis goes, Allen would probably go with the next GM bringing in his own guy. But I think the next Saints GM is already in the building when Loomis retires.

There was a path for DA to become head coach after serving as Payton's longterm defensive coordinator. Why not Kubiak?
Not nearly the same circumstance and wouldn’t be the same exit for DA as SP.

If DP gets fired it will likely be because this whole thing failed, if that’s the case Kubiak will be gone too.

Not nearly the same circumstance and wouldn’t be the same exit for DA as SP.

If DP gets fired it will likely be because this whole thing failed, if that’s the case Kubiak will be gone too.
That's the short term view. We'll see how this develops over time.

There was a path for DA to become head coach after serving as Payton's longterm defensive coordinator. Why not Kubiak?
DA would have to step down in the same manner Payton did. I don't see that happening in the next year or two.

There is no path to Kubiak as the HC of the Saints. Either Kubiak does a great job which secures DA's job as HC or Kubiak fails and they both get fired.
I had this conversation with my brother after Klint got hired. His thoughts was the Saints next HC was on the team in Klint Kubiak. He was like DA gets fired early and name Klint as interim, and I was like if that happens the offense didn’t do nothing and he failed at his job plus DA wouldn’t mostly likely get fired during the season. I feel as you do if Klint’s offense succeeds then in turn that makes DA succeed and then he gets a new deal. Just like Sean after Greg Williams. If Kubiak doesn’t succeed then the whole staff maybe gone useless they convince the new coach to keep him, but it will have to be a defensive coach.So the only other thing is if Kubiak wants to be a head coach if not then he will be like Pete was and be a long time OC. If not he will be gone in 2-3 years after rebuilding and maintaining a high caliber offense.

Was talking with someone who is related to the Kubiak's today. He said Klint and his family much prefer New Orleans to being in SF. Take it with a grain of salt. I'd like to see him hang around a while. We've seen more from the offiense in 1 week than the entire time after Sean's departure. I don't blame that on DA. I think Mickey was shooting for the stability angle and wanted to give PC a chance. Sean was a hell of an offensive coach but the best Saints teams had good DCs under Sean. Allen is a hell of a defensive coach and needs the offensive help. I could see KK being elevated to "assistant HC" at some point, until it would be impossible to keep him.

Only way to keep him is to elevate him.

That's right, we're going with Co-Head Coach titles for DA & KK.

Brian Johnson is still in Detroit so it's possible. Especially if we have something special cooking.

Honestly, there's more to being a head coach than being a good coordinator. Even if we finish with a top-10 offense, I don't think Kubiak is going to be at the top of anyone's list.
Love me some Brian Johnson

ELrTpEB.jpeg

It’s still way early but based on his time with the 49ers and his first week with the Saints how do you lock someone like him down. If he continues to build the offense this year to a top 5 and does it again nex year how do the Saints keep him? If the saints have a top 5 offense and make the playoffs it’s rightfully so securing Dennis Allen’s position as head coach. After last year with the 49ers and he has 2 good years with the Saints the Cowboys will come calling as well as a few other teams looking for an up and coming offensive mind.
I see it similar to when the Falcons had Dan Quinn and Shanahan. Now way to early to be that after one game but it could be similar. Like Quinn and Shanahan would u secure Quinns Cover 3 scheme or Shanahans offense???. Just cause hes the HC doesnt mean u cant Make a change if you think the catalyst to success is the offense schematics. Two years under DA no success. If we have success this year got to weigh what different.

Because if DA leaves he will be leaving because he is fired, not because he is retiring after a long successful head coaching tenure which DA was a big part of.

If DA gets fired it will because they win fewer than 8 games and if that happens it will mean that the offense was not good which means that the entire staff is going to get fired in DA gets fired. This isn't hard. When the head coach gets fired so does the OC and I don't recall a single time that a member of a fired staff got the job as the HC. Can you name one?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom